Buyer says they have not received item - tracking shows delivered

I have received a message from a buyer saying the parcel I sent them is marked as delivered on Ebay but they have not received it. I tracked the parcel on the Royal Mail website and it has been delivered. The buyer says they were out all day and no note was left by Royal Mail and no sign of the parcel. They have checked with their neighbours and the parcel was not delivered there.

They believe the parcel could have been stolen by the postman as one of their neighbours told them the same thing had happened to 2 of their parcels recently. They said the signature for the parcel was just a scribble. To me, it looks like the postman probably signed it themselves, but I have had postmen do this during the Coronavirus situation when they leave a parcel in your porch and they are still doing it now, it does not mean they are stealing them.

The buyer is asking me to look into the situation but I am not sure what else I can do from this end. They say "the complaints must come from the sender" but I thought it would be up to them to contact the Post Office from their end and maybe even the police if they think it has been stolen. I had uploaded the tracking number and it show as delivered so I doubt I myself could claim anything from the Post Office.

Any advice on how to proceed with this would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 64
See Most Recent
63 REPLIES 63

Re: Buyer says they have not received item - tracking shows delivered

To grab a screenshot I use awesome screenshot which is a free add on extension. Used it regularly for these issues. It's also great for cropping or enlarging your ebay pictures. 

Message 21 of 64
See Most Recent

It's worse what happened to me , I was waiting for my parcel sat there all day never heard or seen a postman all day then at around seven o clock at night I received a email saying your item was delivered at 3.30 this afternoon, and signed for *bleep* no it wasn't I was here all day I live on my own , I asked next door no never seen it or a postman today I went through the farce item not arrived went around and around says delvered as if to say so there have it !!!  Went to sorting office break neck speed as closes at 8 it says on line , gets there all in darkness another load of miss information by royal muppets !!  So I have to calm down and wait till there open to see what they have to say ? 

Message 22 of 64
See Most Recent

Could it be that the parcel was delivered to the wrong person by the postman's fault?

I purchased something from a seller and it showed delivered only for me to reach out to the seller for him to admit that he sent my order to the wrong person another customer

Message 23 of 64
See Most Recent

I've had a few say delivered but instead they turned up the next day. It's often just a case of the delivery driver/postman trying to save a bit of time by scanning things in advance. Some of which they don't actually get around to delivering on that day.

Message 24 of 64
See Most Recent

You are in clear if tracking shows item delivered. If buyer opens a request, eBay will find in your favour.

Message 25 of 64
See Most Recent

"There are times where buyers will con a good seller to get a product for free,"

I sold and item and buyer said not received.

So I checked tracking and it couldnt find tracking number.

So dug out the PO receipt and I had input tracking number not quite right.

So checked tracking again and it was delivered a couple of days ago.

So I informed buyer and he said he had looked for it and now found it !

Yeah right !

Message 26 of 64
See Most Recent

I am having this issue with a silly purchase, 10 screws for a total including postage or 4.50GBP.  

Seller and RM state I got the parcel, but my  mailbox , my self and the others in the premises say otherwise.  We work and live at the same address, so unless we are on shut for bankholidays or annaul leave, there is always someone here  and only two direct neighbours one of which is actually my accountant.

It does really annoy me when , after contacting the Seller I get told  "that RM delivered to my address and take it with them" .... no,  actually RM did not deliver and  their website clearly says that should be the Seller's resposability to verify and open a case.

I am not getting neither rich nor poor with 4.50GBP,  in fact I am  reordering the screws elswhere as I need them, but it really grinds my gears  when I come across poor customer service; as much as it annoyes me , whenever as a seller I missed a standard /only tracked delivery I either refunded or reposted the items.

Message 27 of 64
See Most Recent

Problem is if you send out items yourself and you get several items showing as delivered with gps showing as delivered to correct address but buyer claims otherwise. How do we sellers know if the buyer is telling the truth? or we may aswell just hand out free items. We are in it as a business and if the correct procedures are followed to see if the item was not miss-delivered then it IS down to the buyer. I have had buyers claim items not delivered yet DHL clearly have taken a picture of them holding the parcel at their door! Send picture and they mysteriously dont seem to reply after. This has happened far to many times sadly. Or my item wasn't received, it was delivered 2 hours ago. Oh thank you yes it was which is either someone else took it in, they forgot or didn't open the parcel or they are testing you.

Message 28 of 64
See Most Recent

@excellence-audio wrote:

I am having this issue with a silly purchase, 10 screws for a total including postage or 4.50GBP.  

Seller and RM state I got the parcel, but my  mailbox , my self and the others in the premises say otherwise.  We work and live at the same address, so unless we are on shut for bankholidays or annaul leave, there is always someone here  and only two direct neighbours one of which is actually my accountant.

It does really annoy me when , after contacting the Seller I get told  "that RM delivered to my address and take it with them" .... no,  actually RM did not deliver and  their website clearly says that should be the Seller's resposability to verify and open a case.

I am not getting neither rich nor poor with 4.50GBP,  in fact I am  reordering the screws elswhere as I need them, but it really grinds my gears  when I come across poor customer service; as much as it annoyes me , whenever as a seller I missed a standard /only tracked delivery I either refunded or reposted the items.

The proof is the delivery.

There are times the item is delivered and the buyer does not receive it - so both buyer and seller are telling the truth despite opposite answers.

To the seller the buyer appears to act as a scammer. To the buyer the seller appears to be refusing to engage and refusing to supply goods or give a refund. And in that instance eBay will support the seller based on the evidence. 

For a buyer the option to take the matter up with the card company they used or PayPal if they were used exists. Card companies generally not as seller friendly as eBay. 

A number of us on the forums have experience as a buyer who did not receive what the evidence says was delivered. Usually the same problem with sellers as you. 

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 29 of 64
See Most Recent

@lolaglitter   , this is not the case, the seller sent it   with a RECORDED 48   which means that the only proof is   Royalmail saying it was delivered...   where that might have happened  it is not clear and I dont have access to the "GPS "information   and as far as I can tell the sender is not willing to waste their time in doing any enquiries.

I checked with RM and they say that is the SENDER who has to do the Enquiry,  myself as a buyer/receiver   I have NO POWER AND NO SAY because the "postage/delivery contract " was between the SENDER and RM.

I can only ask the sender to  verify with RM  what happened, but from the answer I got (it is a copy and paste reply)  they just simply don't care , their customer service is  bad and what annoyes me is that they are a UK company.

I will  have to wait until the 18th for ebay's "resolution",  then we will see what will be the next step.

Message 30 of 64
See Most Recent

@angelix907 wrote:

I will  have to wait until the 18th for ebay's "resolution",  then we will see what will be the next step.

Don't expect much from ebay's resolution unless you can provide different evidence than the seller has. Usually (not always) the seller protection kicks in. 

Dogen
Message 31 of 64
See Most Recent

@elitegiftsltd

I know, unfortunately there is NO protection for the buyer in these cases.  

The issue here  is  very specific,   the seller/sender  posted the item "recorded", the  item was delivered but to the wrong address  in a different village (it is an assumption) and the only  person that can open an investigation with RM is the sender  unfortunately they cannot be bothered  and I as  the buyer have NO power whatsoever.
If ebay decides in favour of the Seller (very unfair in this case) as a buyer I have little say other than posting a very negative review  and demand (which I will in any case) a VAT invoice (I purchased the 4.50 GBP screws for my  company so I want the invoice)  and a proof of posting so I can try  filing a complaint with RM to provide more details and if possible challenge ebays decision.

it is not for the money or the item (I already bought it elsewhere) , as I  said I am not getting poor for 4.50 , what i truly hate is poor customer service.

Message 32 of 64
See Most Recent

I recently got a email saying item had arrived.

There was a parcel for me but not the one I expected.

I checked RM tracking and it shows delivered but tracking doesnt show who sent it or who was the recipient so pointless.

The item was £3.99 so not really worth chasing.

1 item in 2400+ transactions isnt a major problem.

Message 33 of 64
See Most Recent

@angelix907 wrote:

@elitegiftsltd

I know, unfortunately there is NO protection for the buyer in these cases.  

The issue here  is  very specific,   the seller/sender  posted the item "recorded", the  item was delivered but to the wrong address  in a different village (it is an assumption) and the only  person that can open an investigation with RM is the sender  unfortunately they cannot be bothered  and I as  the buyer have NO power whatsoever.
If ebay decides in favour of the Seller (very unfair in this case) as a buyer I have little say other than posting a very negative review  and demand (which I will in any case) a VAT invoice (I purchased the 4.50 GBP screws for my  company so I want the invoice)  and a proof of posting so I can try  filing a complaint with RM to provide more details and if possible challenge ebays decision.

it is not for the money or the item (I already bought it elsewhere) , as I  said I am not getting poor for 4.50 , what i truly hate is poor customer service.

Yes, based on the evidence to hand then ebay supports the seller.

For many years sellers complained that ebay provided no protection for sellers so we ended up with a minor specific protection. And of course can't provide both buyer and seller protection at the same time on the same transaction when decision must be made one way or the other. 

You can take it up with your card company. 

Dogen
Message 34 of 64
See Most Recent

This has happened to me today. I was out. The first I knew of a delivered order (two actually, combined postage) was when the emails arrived. It's over £55. The signature says my surname but it's not mine, doesn't even look like my name.  I have asked around and no neighbour took it in. There's nothing left around my house. I've checked bins etc. I can't enquire with the post office, it has to be the sender. So I'm stuck and facing a loss of my money. Yes, I'll open a claim and let eBay decide, I have too, I can't do nothing. I have emailed the sender but I have no idea what she will say. If I lose my money I will not buy anything of this value again on eBay. I just can't afford to lose money like this. I know it's not the senders fault, but it's not my fault either. Why can't they just take it back to the post office, why get someone else to take it in. Gutted tbh. 

Message 35 of 64
See Most Recent

The system , unfortunately, does not take into account that sometimes the buyer   is honest  when he declares that the goods  never arrived despite  the records.

I have been  fighting this issue (in my case only 4.50 quid)  for the past month, EBAY decided AGAINST me, the SELLER does not care whatsoever and  ultimately Ebay also Rejected my appeal as I could not provide PHISICAL EVIDENCE that the parcel was delivered to a different address.

The evidence Ebay needs is a letter form the courier/RoyalMail  stating they delivered to the wrong address, unfortunately this kind of information is given only to the SELLER SHIPPER and  never to the BUYER/Receiver.

So honest buyers are stuck with the loss , not really but then you need to push and spend time, often not worth wasting for few quid.

I my specific case I though it was an issue of principle.... I  called Royal mail and filed /opened a case for  'Denial of Receipt' ; RM will investigate and eventually either resolve the wrong delivery issue (collect and redeliver hopefully ) or just provide the sender with the info for any following process/insurance purposes

As a receiver I only had the RM  case number which I  though EBay could use to accept my  re-appeal, but they decided  against and they close the case in the sellers favour.

In the meantime I did speak to a RM employee who confirmed where exactly my stuff was delivered, same address as mine just a different village so I KNOW that the goods ended in the wrong place and so the SELLER as , i  am told , he would be receiving a message  from RM (letter or email)

As I said the seller did not care and did absolutely nothing,    I thsi point I had no other options  and I had  Paypal/Amex involved and got my 4.50 quid back.

I was hoping I could avoid wasting time and resources by simply telling  the vendor about the problem, in the end for them it was  probably 50p worth of  screws that they sold for 4.50...

But no they decided to  play the hard ball and offered me one of the worse customer services ever in 20 or more years of buying on ebay.

The travesty for me is  EBay.... the system seems to be against the buyers without taking any history/background into account...  I mean , they were very quick in thanking me for my 21 years being loyal to ebay  (probably 5 cases opened in 21 year all resolved without too much fuss) , but then even quicker to decide against me... for 4.50 quid.

Anyway,  next time I get the same  treatment , then the first call will be paypal, the second my CC company and revert the charge.

Message 36 of 64
See Most Recent

@joannebabylon wrote:

This has happened to me today. I was out. The first I knew of a delivered order (two actually, combined postage) was when the emails arrived. It's over £55. The signature says my surname but it's not mine, doesn't even look like my name.  I have asked around and no neighbour took it in. There's nothing left around my house. I've checked bins etc. I can't enquire with the post office, it has to be the sender. So I'm stuck and facing a loss of my money. Yes, I'll open a claim and let eBay decide, I have too, I can't do nothing. I have emailed the sender but I have no idea what she will say. If I lose my money I will not buy anything of this value again on eBay. I just can't afford to lose money like this. I know it's not the senders fault, but it's not my fault either. Why can't they just take it back to the post office, why get someone else to take it in. Gutted tbh. 

Past couple of years the couriers and royal mail have been signing for delivery themselves. So yes will look nothing like your sign.

Ebay - with proof of delivery - will back the seller. Who will likely see that item delivered so think you are trying it on. 

You don't want to lose money? So don't lose money. You have more than one option. 

No idea why RM can't take item back to delivery office. Perhaps the person they delivered to accepted it - that obviously wasn't at your address. 

Contact your card company or paypal if you used them. 

Dogen
Message 37 of 64
See Most Recent

@angelix907 wrote:

The system , unfortunately, does not take into account that sometimes the buyer   is honest  when he declares that the goods  never arrived despite  the records.

I have been  fighting this issue (in my case only 4.50 quid)  for the past month, EBAY decided AGAINST me, the SELLER does not care whatsoever and  ultimately Ebay also Rejected my appeal as I could not provide PHISICAL EVIDENCE that the parcel was delivered to a different address.

The evidence Ebay needs is a letter form the courier/RoyalMail  stating they delivered to the wrong address, unfortunately this kind of information is given only to the SELLER SHIPPER and  never to the BUYER/Receiver.

So honest buyers are stuck with the loss , not really but then you need to push and spend time, often not worth wasting for few quid.

I my specific case I though it was an issue of principle.... I  called Royal mail and filed /opened a case for  'Denial of Receipt' ; RM will investigate and eventually either resolve the wrong delivery issue (collect and redeliver hopefully ) or just provide the sender with the info for any following process/insurance purposes

As a receiver I only had the RM  case number which I  though EBay could use to accept my  re-appeal, but they decided  against and they close the case in the sellers favour.

In the meantime I did speak to a RM employee who confirmed where exactly my stuff was delivered, same address as mine just a different village so I KNOW that the goods ended in the wrong place and so the SELLER as , i  am told , he would be receiving a message  from RM (letter or email)

As I said the seller did not care and did absolutely nothing,    I thsi point I had no other options  and I had  Paypal/Amex involved and got my 4.50 quid back.

I was hoping I could avoid wasting time and resources by simply telling  the vendor about the problem, in the end for them it was  probably 50p worth of  screws that they sold for 4.50...

But no they decided to  play the hard ball and offered me one of the worse customer services ever in 20 or more years of buying on ebay.

The travesty for me is  EBay.... the system seems to be against the buyers without taking any history/background into account...  I mean , they were very quick in thanking me for my 21 years being loyal to ebay  (probably 5 cases opened in 21 year all resolved without too much fuss) , but then even quicker to decide against me... for 4.50 quid.

Anyway,  next time I get the same  treatment , then the first call will be paypal, the second my CC company and revert the charge.

To the seller you would look exactly like a buyer who is scamming the seller. 

It often is the carrier's fault - wrongly sorted and postie not reading the address, just reading the number. 

The ebay protection that is rigged towards buyers most of the time is in the instance of proof of delivery, rigged towards sellers. Helps us deal with those who do try and scam us. 

Unfortunately there are instances where the seller claims item is delivered and buyer claims item not received and both are telling the truth. Despite opposite statements. 

Dogen
Message 38 of 64
See Most Recent

I am afraid  you keep missing the point...

is the seller responsability  to deliver what the buyer has paid IN ADVANCE including SHIPPING and if the buyer states they did not get the goods then the SELLER needs to find out   WHAT HAPPENED.

it is a matter of some common courtesy, common sense and always of pure customer service.

Most vendors will go the extramile, some like in my case will behave like crooks despite  the 20K+ feedbacks , unfortunately my negative feedback won't impact their performance so they don't care.

Ebay wont do much  about it because ... why should ebay do something about? if the transaction is cancelled they loose their fees

Happy days.

Message 39 of 64
See Most Recent

Thanks for all the comments but my parcel has actually been found, with a neighbour. Unfortunately it was damaged in transit and half the contents are gone, it was in a post office damaged bag, but that's a seperate issue. Thanks again. 

Message 40 of 64
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: