Advice needed delivery attempted twice

Hello. A bit of advice here on how I stand 

buyer reported non delivery and when I checked the tracking I discovered that Royal Mail had attempted delivery twice but got no answer and it's a block of flats so presumably they couldn't get access to the building. I gave the buyer this information about a week ago and asked them to go to the sorting office which he says he has now done but it's not there. I'm assuming because of the time it's taken to go to collect it that it may be on its way back to me. 
now I have paid postage and I'm wondering what I do if it's returned to me. Do I have to give a full refund because that sounds a little unfair. The tracking on eBay does show the attempted deliveries so they would be able to see that I did all I could to get the item there. It does seem to me that the buyer delayed going to the sorting office in order to obtain a refund 

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Firstly,  item with an atempted delivery is all you need to prove with tracking,  and if the buyer opens a case for item not received, you wikl not need to refund.

It may or may not be back on its way to you.  If you do receive it ,  you have the money and the item,  so it is morrally correct to refund the buyer,  if a case has been opened and closed,  you will need to refund through a cheque / bank transfer/ PayPal Friends and Family payment,  whichever suits you both best.

Should it be returned,  and the buyer wishes for it to be resent If you have refunded,  then the item just needs to be relisted.

If you haven't yet refunded,  then the buyer needs to send you enough money to cover payment for a fully tracked return postage cost.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

The non existent visits to the sorting office are a red herring. 

As RM has "attempted delivery" that should be enough for eBay not to refund.  If buyer opens case you may have to contact eBay to remind them of their rules. Where there are problems with access buyers have the option of delivery to some central point [shop or petrol station for example] with eBay "click and collect".

If the item does come back then it's up to your conscience as to what to do!

@vintagechinashop 

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

If the buyer opens an Item Not Received case on eBay, you will need to put the tracking details into the case - even if they are already showing on the sales record.  Then you will win the case.  The item should make its way back to you, and if it does, you can decide what to do.

If you decide to make a full or partial refund, you should do this through eBay - you will need to contact Customer Support.  Remember to allow for expenses like postage, and possibly eBay fees that you have paid.

Or you can ask your buyer to pay again for the postage. 

Or you can do nothing at all.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

I had a parcel that was refused by the buyer late last year- it was returned to me.   The RM label stated 'refused', as did the tracking.  The buyer had the cheek to open an INR 🙄

I spoke to eBay and was told I definitely don't need to refund as they refused the parcel. 

I assume eBay refunded him, mind you, and I heard nothing else from the buyer at all.  

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I don't think eBay generally refund the buyer in these cases.  (I'm sure they do sometimes, if the buyer appeals the case and doesn't make a habit of behaving this way.)  

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: