Would you send your children to a private school

If you could afford it would you send your children to a private school? I think it depends on the child, some kids would undoubtedly benefit where as others would not, however results might suggest that they would get a step up on the ladder and as a parent I would want that! Should we be subject to the lottery that is education these days, we have a catholic private school nearby and yet many of its pupils are of a different faith which suggests to me that parents want the best for their children and if you can afford it why not?
Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Hi.

Definitely yes

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

Yes I absolutely would.  The current state education system is dire.

My granddaughter went to a small village primary school.  It was a state school but tiny - only 8 kids in her class so lots of attention and one to one teaching..

She is now at a state secondary school,but way ahead of her classmates because she had such a good start. Some of her contemporaries can barely spell their own names.

She was lucky - most state school kids are in huge classes ( as she is now) and don't get the advantages she got.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

I have had part state and part private education.  Admittedly a long time ago.  I doubt if the basics have changed that much though.

I went from a class of about 40 to a class of  15.

By us, fortunately,  there are some excellent state schools that people try to get their children into that are not in the catchment area.  (even using grandparents addresses etc to try and get in ). 

We also have single faith schools who are very strict on which children they take. 

More single faith schools are being built locally and this seems to be a growing trend.  (I am not really sure about how i feel about said schools)

Generally in relation to state educatilon schools......as with most things there are good and bad ones

Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

I do not know obv about the private schools by you Archie but....

ours generally will not just  take a child if a parent has the funds.  

There are very very strict entrance exams and if a child cannot pass them, then they will not be accepted.   Are they creaming off the brightest children.....prob yes and this is another debate.

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

I don’t think they are creaming off the brightest children, arguably many public schoolboys are not very bright, I think they prepare children better and raise their expectations in a manner most state schools cannot, that comes down to parental influence more than teaching imho. My daughter went to a state school but was fortunate that she was with a Stella group of kids all of whom had the work ethic and desire to get on, instilled by their parents but very much practiced by themselves, all went to university and all have remarkable careers, in a way this is what private schools provide, an environment in which individuals can prosper and become confident of the future so that is why I think they are worth retaining. My daughter was lucky but for many the luck doesn’t come into it
Message 6 of 14
See Most Recent

I agree about the parental attitude.   I have a friend and her attitude is......it is up to the school to teach my child and not me! 

She does not even make sure that her child does their homework.   She is a professional herself and i just cannot understand her attitude.

Another friend is indian (educated (actually a Solicitor) with perfect English....they sent their child to Primary school not being able to speak English.  

Their attitude was.....if the school wants them to speak English then let them teach them.

I think i am just old school 😞

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

And they are the kind of people who constantly knock our hard working teachers and complain about privilege. I remember when kids weren’t allowed in pubs, then the rules changed and you got all these wannabe mothers sipping wine whilst their offspring run riot around the customers, no discipline whatsoever. As a responsible parent I wish to give my children the best start possible the state can provide the basics and that’s all!
Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

I have had my eyes opened recently in real life ......

One is not allowed to refer to children as children as it is not Politically correct   (aged 7 to 12 in this instance )  only young people or young adults.

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

My God, the PC brigade does make me sick.

I wouldn't refer to them as young adults until they are at college. And I will still call them kids as well although you can't really call them that either anymore.

People get paid to come up with this nonsense. sob

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

Yes i agree but there are strict guidelines now apparently when you work with children.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know. I worked somewhere where we weren't allowed to use the words mixed race. We had to say mixed heritage.

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

This sort of strict guideline is the cause of the mess we are in these days.  They are children.  

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

Education in the NW....shurely not - is nothing sacred?

Acshually 'classics' used to be primarily Latin and Greek, but now seldom is, but instead  'gender studies in Ancient Rome' 

Btw much greater numbers now go on to FE, though some obviously don't

Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent