Would you find this offensive

North Wales police have been criticised for showing a full fry up breakfast
The story in the Evening standard and available through google news highlights how an offended vegan could be at the sight of bacon and sausage on a plate, do you find this offensive and should we all become vegan to condemn such actions?
Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.'  Well, so ******* what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, 2005]”

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/rural-police-force-in-wales-blasted-for-posting-pictures-of-huge-...

I wouldn't be offended by it but I would be offended if I was criticised for posting such a pic.

As for minorities, fine, do what you will but don't moan at me for choosing not to join your minority?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

There are far too many people easily offended.  No, it's not offensive - why should it be.  Vegans can eat what they like, and so can I.    Is any one bothered if I'm offended by a vegan diet - I don't think so.  People should do what's right for them and mind their own business.

My local little nursery school no longer allows children to sing incy wincy spider in case the hand movements offend deaf people.  I should point out that there is not a single deaf child, parent or teacher there.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

@al**bear wrote:

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.'  Well, so ******* what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, 2005]”

I’m not sure that’s correct - I hear, and read, far more objections to those saying “they’re offended” than I ever come across those who actually say they are offended.  You only have to read posts on this board to see the truth of that. 

Most reports, such as the one mentioned in the OP, are about how x, y or z could be offended - very rarely are they about an individual who actually was offended.  There is a world of difference between finding something offensive and actually being offended in any real sense.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Well..I'm offended by the sight of Mayonnaise , it makes me feel sick.😀So do I sue Helmanns?

Whatever is wrong with people in this country? All turning into precious snowflakes.

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Taking up creekies point are you suggesting that there is a tendency towards exaggerating a situation for effect? If you are and you follow MSM then surely that applies to a wide variety of individuals all with an axe to grind or at least an agenda to pursue!
So what can we believe these days?
Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

We can believe that there are too many people with nothing better to do than look for something to take offence at, either personally or on behalf of others, whether those others are bothered or not.  

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Political correctness? Take a look at this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42630131

Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Interesting story! And very much of our time. What I would like to know is what drives people into addiction in the first place? Is it desperation or is it need? As an ex smoker I can understand addiction to some extent however why put yourself through the process of sticking a needle in your arm or snorting coke? I genuinely do not understand! Is it something to do with our modern society, where support networks which were once a part of family life have broken down? There seems to be a correlation between rough sleepers and drug taking, would they stop if they had a roof over their heads and were in gainful employment, would they benefit from feeling worthy and needed? Whatever the answer I do not believe that tinkering around with the way one refers to addicts is pointless unless it is accompanied by more meaningful action to get to the route cause and address it!
Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Addiction? It's very strange? Some people can be "a drinker" without getting addicted but others can't function without drink?

I suppose all forms of addiction depend on the person and their gene structure? Is it similar to smokers who smoke heavily to a great age without suffering any fatal effects but others are gone relatively young?

Many years back we had "down-and-outs" and before that "vagrants" but I expect we would get criticised for using those terms today?

Everyone's different (to a point) and some rough sleepers would respond to help, a place to live and employment but others are beyond any such help. What can be done with them? They've got in to a culture of that way of life and have a circle of like-minded people and just cannot break away from it?

I don't think there's any easy answers short of locking 'em up for their own protection?

Live long and prosper.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Isn't a lot of this being offended, especially on behalf of others, just a quick ego boost by people who want some attention.  It's a way of saying "I'm such a caring person because I can see how uncaring everyone else is, so listen to me".  As "caring" about real issues has already been covered by someone else they have to "care" about increasingly trivial matters to show their superiority?

The correlation between rough sleepers and drug use and your question as to whether they would stop if housed etc..  The answer in some cases is no they wouldn't.  I've lived in a block of (mostly) ex-council flats for fourteen years.  The council still rents a few to those needing Social Housing, occasionally they place a drink or drug addicted person here.  All too often their behaviour is so appalling they are evicted again.  IMO often it isn't the homelessness that causes the drug use, it's the drug use and accompanying anti-social behaviour that leads to the homelessness.

Not so long ago the local rag had head-lines about a group of homeless people that the council was threatening to arrest, to get them out of a wooden sea-front shelter they had set up "home" in.  We were invited to feel pity for these poor souls and disapprove of the heartless council.  The following week the council was given a chance to reply.  They had set up a team to find them accommodation, which was refused for months.  Anyone who has ever been to Margate sea-front knows that it is exposed to North Sea winds and cold at the best of times, it's probably about the worst place in S.E England to sleep rough.  Yet that is exactly what they chose to do, constructing a make-shift shelter of plastic sheet and card-board to keep the wind off.  The threat of arrest was only made because they then started lighting fires inside to keep warm.  More attention seeking as the town is full of parks and other spaces they would have been less uncomfortable in.

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent