Would folks check this out please?

Sometimes (all the time?) when people look at videos posted on the "choons" thread, the initial still shows up Black. Sometimes it clears OK, sometimes it clears and shows up if you mouse over it, if you click the video to play sometimes it plays the sound but no video and sometimes it plays just fine in both sound and vision.

The youtube site was unreliable too prompting me to post this thread:-

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Computing-Advice-Technology-Chat/Videos/m-p/5016081#U5016081

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

baybizz
Conversationalist

You say you have problems at the start of videos. This video should start 34 seconds in from the beginning. How does it run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCUv9W0ViRc&t=34

I am wondering if you have some sort of conflict between Flash and HTML5. See this page:

www.pcworld.com/article/2947381/disable-flash

Any Help?

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

Some browsers are no longer playing Flash (without special permission)

Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

OK, I removed Flash. First video I tried on youtube came out Black, I tried the choons thread and all the videos on the last page showed their starting stills and all played OK. I went back to youtube and tried the video that showed up Black, this time it played OK.

Sooooo, I'll see how things go without Flash. I'll be back sometime later to let you know how things go and thank you. Oh yes, that video started in a couple of seconds.

Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

I think the trouble is with PM.

I tried PM and FF.

No problem with FF but a few things aren't working with PM now.

Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

What isn't working?

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

Well now, I went and had a look at the BBC site and checked out the videos there and sure enough, they don't work. There's a message saying to enable Flash in my browser or download it.

Sooooo, what now? Re-install Flash?

Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

It's something to do with Flash conflicting because after re-installing Flash, the videos on the BBC site now work OK but I'm back to Black video on the choons thread. If I Ctrl + F5 then mouse over the video, the intitial still shows up and if I click to play, the video plays sound and vision OK.

Obviously it didn't used to do this so what's changed and how to resolve it? The Techies (on the tech board) seem to have lost their voice or are they stumped? shocked

Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

No problems to report here, youtube links and BBC video links all working for me. Don't know what version of Flash Player I've got installed but according to Avast it's the latest one. I can only post on the choons thread by copy and pasting links, I don't have the 'insert video' option in the reply box, I think that's because I'm using IE.

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

Thank you for posting but on the choons thread, do the intial stills show up for you on video where a video has been "inserted"?

Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

Yes and clicking the arrow plays them ok.

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

Thanks JD. It's most odd, everthing's showing up OK for me at the moment.

Spoke too soon, it was back to Black until I clicked Ctrl + F5.

Live long and prosper.

Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

I think I've worn google out looking, that's why I posted this thread and:-

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Computing-Advice-Technology-Chat/Videos/m-p/5016081#U5016081

Live long and prosper.

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

If you still can't play a video, a somewhat tedious workaround would seem to be to copy and paste the video code into the YouTube URL bar and add &t=1 to the end of the code (this should start the video one second in from the beginning, and hopefully bypassing your start problem).  If the video still jams, try increasing the figure.

For example try these variations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU2kSbuajUM&t=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1zrTytdpro&t=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic4PQ-tnwJw&t=5

Are you using a Mac or Windows PC?  If you have a PC, have you recently upgraded to Windows 10?  Win 10 seems to be causing all sorts of irritations - my Sound Forge audio editor suddenly started asking for authorisation details which I didn't have (now solved via Google), and I can't get it to recognise my DVD-Rom drives (still unsolved)...

I see you are using Pale Moon browser. Have you tried Firefox?

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

There have been problems with 'user agent'  sofware, with some browsers, all over the Tinternet, recently.

I'm not sure if it is involved in this

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

Hiya, I'm using a PC with Windows 7.

I stopped using FF at the FF29 "improvement".

I can play videos but depending where they are, they either show up and play normally or I have to "fiddle".

Live long and prosper.

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

I'm using Windows 7 Pro and IE11 and I have no problems with any video formats. I've never heard of Pale Moon, have you tried IE11?

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

Ha ha, sure, I've got IE but............ compared to other browsers it's sooooooooooooooooo slow.

Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

Windows 7 using WaterFox 48.0.2

Did have some probs when Waterfox 47 & 48 were first released but they've been fixed with  swift updates to WaterFox

But Moz has now released FF49, need to wait and see what 'incompatabilities' they have built in, because they are doing it on purpose.

Looks like Pale Moon & Mozzila have been having a rocky relationship for about a year now, think Moz is trying to sabotage, other browsers based on their Firefox browser ( Not nice, considering FF is built and updated using user desinged Open Source coding)

Are You using an AdBlocker add-on   CD ? 

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent