Wolf whistling, compliment or harassment?.

Yesterday a lady called police and complained about builders whistling , commenting and harassing her.

I must admit my first reaction was what a fuss about nothing when I heard it on the radio.

Later as I heard more about it I changed my mind.

One of the builders interviewed, what a charmer.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/builder-quizzed-police-over-wolf-whistle-5601245

Her comments.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/Poppy-Smart-23-calls-police-construction-firm/story-26396278-deta...

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

in this case I think it was harrassment. when I first saw the headline I though the same as you that she was just a silly girl over reacting ...but....when I read the full story I changed my mind. It wasn't just a wolf whistle, it went on for a long time and she felt threatened and scared. Just shows how head lines can be missleading

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I read the articles.

I feel that we are all becoming a bit oversensitive. Next time a guy will be in trouble for just looking in a woman's direction, give her a wink or heaven forbid... asks her out for a drink.

I have been whistled at enough in my younger years. Did it make me anxious? No, I thought it was funny, it often just gave me a smile on my face and often gave them some banter back.

Sexual harassment? I never felt it like that and when I've been with other women who would get a whistle, none took offence...they just laughed.

I'm sorry, this girl has some underlying issues.

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

Initally, I thought so but there was more to it than just a whistle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-32519331

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wolf-whistling-builders-quizzed-cops-over-5590787  (That's a different Mirror link)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wolf-whistle-builder-ian-merrett-attacked-5603110

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3059864/Flattery-threat-woman-complained-police-wolf-whistle...

A quote from that last link:-

"Extreme? You could baulk at her calling the police — far more effective to grass them up to their bosses, since building firms are always putting up placards assuring us of their courtesy — but it’s clear that this was nasty.

It went beyond mere high-spirited whistling from scaffolding above, and Poppy made it clear she was upset, especially when one accosted her on the pavement one day, barring her way."

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

If it is just wolf whistling, I used to not have a problem with it. One guy once also offered me a job as a hod carrier...in jest, of course. I thought it was funny. I used to get catcalls and horn blowing from passing lorry drivers, too. I don't see the problem and think anyone who lets that be a problem is overreacting. I wish I could still draw those reactions, lol. We are becoming hypersensitive and I am minded of the old saying, sticks and stones may hurt my bones etc.
If someone's way is impeded and it becomes more than a distant whistle/comment, but rather a close encounter, then that is harassment. All IMHO.
Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry, this girl has some underlying issues.

Disagree. The guy on the other hand sounds like a complete sleazebag:

"Ian Merrett, 28, said wolf-whistling was "part and parcel" of working on a building site and even bragged about using cat-calls to seduce a string of other women....

"I'm sure if she walks past again and she is lucky she will get wolf-whistled again," he added.

"I have wolf-whistled so many girls and got so many birds and snogged so many girls off the back of that, and never had a complaint before.

"But I've got a girlfriend so need to be careful what I say."

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

If they did it in an office or retail they'd be out of a job so given equality it should be stamped out of the industry.  Like football the trade seems to attract the dregs of society who can be found on any given friday in a Wetherspoon's establishment boring any/all to tears. The seventies are over.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with you Linda. If someone's way is impeded and it becomes more than a distant whistle/comment, but rather a close encounter, then that is harassment. All IMHO.

Comparing racism with being whistled at is absolute nonsense to me.

We're all becoming too soft.

If a man holds a door open, says "ladies first",  he's seen as a gentleman, a nice guy, and most women like such treatment.

We suddenly like the attention and tell him thank you with a big smile on our face..............It's suddenly ok.  We don't question his motives.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

The guy does sound a bit of a misogynist for want of a better word but I think her reaction in calling the police is taking things to a ridiculous extreme. Maybe she's a bit soft in the head.

You'd think she'd be glad of the attention, not exactly a stunner is she? Looks a right miserable mare to me.Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

@jd.linklater wrote:

The guy does sound a bit of a misogynist for want of a better word but I think her reaction in calling the police is taking things to a ridiculous extreme. Maybe she's a bit soft in the head.

You'd think she'd be glad of the attention, not exactly a stunner is she? Looks a right miserable mare to me.Smiley Tongue

Oh dear....

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

538513_201167183325383_558047085_n.jpgI dont get anyone whistling at me..

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

We are becoming too soft. If a wolf whistle is as bad as it gets, no one has anything to worry about. As for the workplace, a lot of relationships originate in the workplace, so presumably not everyone is so precious that they view compliments as harassment. Work must get pretty boring if you cannot enjoy a bit of banter with someone of the opposite sex. It certainly helped pass our day.
Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

In general I agree with you, I'd like to see anyone stand in front of my daughters blocking their way.Woman LOL

but their was more to this than just a whistle.

My son is a builder, a bricklayer, he said he would be sacked for doing that, a it would be classed as harassment.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

I agreed ^^^^ that more than a whistle across the street was harassment.
Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

Contradictory moi? Nah just tongue in cheek, hence the smiley Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

In the eyes of some it IS harassment whilst in the eyes of others it is not. The bottom line these days is that the most vigorous promoters of our new Politically correct codes wish to give as many rights as possible to those in the minority. I suppose it makes us progressive but it seems a bit inconsiderate to the majority. Its a bit like breastfeeding in public, How many mothers really want too and how many of the general public wish to see it? Or you get fined for having tinted windows in a car because it restricts ones visability yet you can cover your entire person head to toe leaving a small viewing strip and that's fine. You can't be a chairman if you are male but you can be a Chair. Football fans were recently threatened with arrest if a group of them dressed up as rastafarians, two men can marry and raise a family Thats how progressive we have become Then there are the childrens books we used to read like Bah Bah Humbug. Better not go there. Whtever hapenned to a bit of innocent fun? It's all been forensically examined and found guilty.

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

> Wolf whistling, compliment or harassment?

Hmm... I once knew a pretty girl who complained that nobody ever whistled at her....  strange new world...

She Should Be So Lucky....

https://www.youtube.com/v/GEYxJdEDjX8?autoplay=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEYxJdEDjX8

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

Perhaps ladies ought to be pleased by "wolf-whistling", and accept it as a compliment.

Wouldn't they naturally do so -  if they hadn't been persuaded by Wimmins Lib, that men are evil, and out to **bleep** them?

Or something.  

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent