Washing machines.

I have a bit of a gripe about washing machines....specifically the cold-fill ones. Since the old hot and cold fill ones were phased out ( EU rules?).. Most people buying a new machine have had to buy a cold fill machine. I have a Bosch, which is ok, but would be much better if it were hot and cold fill. For months it was really getting my goat that when washing a load of whites, the water would take ages to heat up, and the glass door never really got hot. The washing load was being washed in cold water for most of the cycle. It costs big bucks to wash at 90*, and so I use about 60*. I never felt happy with the white load.

So.....nowadays, when doing a white load, I put the powder in the compartment and then put 3 or 4 kettles of boiling water in the compartment before I start the cycle. This way, the washing is being washed in hot water from the beginning of the cycle. My whites are sparkling, and I am proud to peg them on the line! My OH reckons that it costs more to boil 3 or 4 kettles of water, than to have the machine heat the water for half an hour or so. I don't really care, as long as I get nice whites.......what do you folks think?

I don't know anyone else who does this...but I can't be the only one.

Message 1 of 14
See Most Recent
13 REPLIES 13

Washing machines.

What's a washing machine ?.......times were hard when I was a kid !! Smiley Indifferent

Image result for scrubbing board pictures

Message 2 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

HaHa! I wish I had a pound for every time I used one of those as a kid!  That and Sunlight soap......those were the days!

Message 3 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

i used to do whites at 60, but my new (ish) machine only has one 60 cycle and it's nearly 3 hours long.  So now i do it all at 50.

My old machine was a Zanussi and I had it 28 years.  In all it's life it only had 2 small repairs, and was still working when i decided to get a more modern one. The modern one costs more to run, takes hours longer and doesn't give any better results than the old one did.  They don't make 'em like that any more.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 4 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

But isn't that true of many things? Loads of complications added that most people never use, takes longer to do anything and are nightmares to get the hang of when you first get them?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

Hi astro, xxx

I have to have my whites white cannot stand them looking grey.

Been years and years since I had a hot and cold fill. I have had Hoover's most of the time, got an indicet at the moment.  I have never done my whites on hotter than 40c but never put colours of any kind in, only whites together.  I have never had problems  with not getting them white enough.  

I really wouldn't know about boiling the kettle costing more, how would you work something like that out?

I wouldn't trust myself with a boiling kettle lol.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Washing machines.

@cee-dee wrote:

But isn't that true of many things? Loads of complications added that most people never use, takes longer to do anything and are nightmares to get the hang of when you first get them?

Good heavens!  It sounds just like an auction site I know.

I haven't changed my washer for fourteen years so I've got that to look forward to in the not too distant future. 

At the moment though I'm more concerned about the fridge- freezer.  It's not sounding very well, sort of gasping and wheezing, I think it's about to die from heat prostration.

Message 7 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

4 kettles probably take less than 20 minutes to boil, a cold fill machine takes a lot longer than that to warm up.

Message 8 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

JD...that sounds right. Carry on, you're convincing me that I'm saving money!

Message 9 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

I run a hose pipe to the washing machine from the hot watertap

Message 10 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

A true, but boring little tale about a washing machine.  Some years ago our washing machine had a problem, so we called out a trusty acquaintance ( who fixes washing machines ) to sort it out.  While chatting as he was fixing ( as you do ) we told him that we would have preferred the top of the range machine, but couldn't justify the extra £150 just for the 2 of us. It had a much higher spin speed ( so the clothes came out needing a lot less drying ) and it had many more options ( different sorts of washes and economy stuff etc. etc. ).  He said " how would you like that top of the range machine for another £30", " yes please " says us......so out he goes to his van and comes back with a completely brand new fascia / control panel. " there you go " he said " that's the only difference, same machine, same drum, same bearings etc. etc. the panel just tells it to spin faster and to give you lots of other options ".

Just like the factory wrapping sliced bread for Sunblest, when they ran out of Sunblest wrapping..........they started wrapping the same bread in Tesco wrappers.

It's all a game, them trying to take the **** out of us and us getting savvy enough to work it out.

Message 11 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

Nearly all TV are made in the same factory..they just put differant names on them, like LG,Philips, Sanson and Baird.  Check it out in the TV shops they are all the same.

Message 12 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

@john.b74 wrote:

Nearly all TV are made in the same factory..they just put differant names on them, like LG,Philips, Sanson and Baird.  Check it out in the TV shops they are all the same.

Yes they are 🙂

In a former life I used to work in a factory that made the TV's.

One of my jobs was to put the different label 'tags' on the tv's - Toshiba, Ferguson (sic) Sony etc etc. Same tele just a different label 🙂

Message 13 of 14
See Most Recent

Washing machines.

Photobuckethmm i think i still got one Lettie Smiley LOL

Petal
Message 14 of 14
See Most Recent