This unfolding tragedy around Europe

We pay politicians to act on our behalf, throughout Europe and the rest of the developed world the plight of those fleeing war, famine, religious persecution etc is being ignored. Surely it is not beyond the realms of sensibility for us to expect, even demand a collective humane response by the international community to agree action in those countries where terrorists reign. Allowing and encouraging the victims to flee is wrong, they deserve and should be given the right to live peacefully where they were born and like the rest of us have the freedom to travel abroad and see other cultures. The Russians and Chinese stand by and watch while quietly selling weapons to these terrorists. The west interfered yet never considered the impact they would have. It is time the UN grew up and did what it was formed to do.

Message 1 of 234
See Most Recent
233 REPLIES 233

@fallen-archie wrote:

We pay politicians to act on our behalf, throughout Europe and the rest of the developed world the plight of those fleeing war, famine, religious persecution etc is being ignored. Surely it is not beyond the realms of sensibility for us to expect, even demand a collective humane response by the international community to agree action in those countries where terrorists reign. Allowing and encouraging the victims to flee is wrong, they deserve and should be given the right to live peacefully where they were born and like the rest of us have the freedom to travel abroad and see other cultures. The Russians and Chinese stand by and watch while quietly selling weapons to these terrorists. The west interfered yet never considered the impact they would have. It is time the UN grew up and did what it was formed to do.

Your heading should read the 'World' not Europe. While the stories in the news revolve around europe this is not a problem that is confined to Europe. There are immigrants flowing out of every poverty striken country into what they 'percieve' to be wealthy countries the world over. It is terribly sad but what do you do, we are not talking of tens of thousands, not even hundreds of thousands - the reality is we are about to discover that there are millions who will be on their way in the coming months/years - and it won't stop!

Africa alone is one of the most corrupt continents in the world with more poverty, war and death than anywhere else in the world - so would you want to live there? You ain't seen nothing yet!

Many years ago I went to China, when there were no cars to be seen - but satellite TV had started to be shown throughout China. I knew then it was a matter of time before the Chinese wanted more and ideals would change - and who can blame them! Its exactly the same in Africa, its not just violence and war that creates this desire to move on! It's a desire to have a better life. Don't just blame Russia and China for selling guns - the UK is one of the biggest arms dealers in the world - along with the US - and I'm guessing probably the wealthiest EU countries are equally as guilty!

Message 2 of 234
See Most Recent

What the migrants have shown is force of numbers can achieve what they want.   If you come in peace, effectively you can't be stopped.

It will be interesting to see how this reverberates around the rest of the world and whether it makes freedom of movement a reality for all people everywhere.  I think this summer will be seen as a real game-changer when it comes to how resources are divided.

Message 3 of 234
See Most Recent

@**caution**opinion_ahead wrote:

What the migrants have shown is force of numbers can achieve what they want.   If you come in peace, effectively you can't be stopped.

It will be interesting to see how this reverberates around the rest of the world and whether it makes freedom of movement a reality for all people everywhere.  I think this summer will be seen as a real game-changer when it comes to how resources are divided.

Or the opposite, Caution:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/migrant-crisis-threatens-europes-open-border-policy-065003911.html#AdRcyqO

There's talk of ending the EU open border policy.

The news stories over the last few days have just been heartbreaking. It makes you want to do something to help these people but what can you do? 

Message 4 of 234
See Most Recent

Just a thought...........

Isn't this migrant situation a bit like a bunch of people coming to your front door, pushing it open and saying "We wanna live in your house too"?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 234
See Most Recent

It is, CD, and what they are showing is you would not be able to do anything about it if the number making the demand was overwhelming.  Normal "rules" have been suspended.  You can travel without documents.  You can ride on trains without tickets.  The precedent is set and will be very, very hard to reverse.  

Lola, tightening laws will make no odds, surely?  It is the weight of numbers that sweeps all before it.  

Message 6 of 234
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

Just a thought...........

Isn't this migrant situation a bit like a bunch of people coming to your front door, pushing it open and saying "We wanna live in your house too"?

I get what you're saying CeeDee and my feelings about all this are truly torn.

On the one hand I think this country is full to bursting and we have enough problems of our own with homelessness, unemployment and poverty.

On the other hand as a parent, I can understand the need to do whatever I had to do to try and protect my children and give them a safer life.

I don't have any answers but something needs to be done because this situation is becoming more and more desperate by the day.

Message 7 of 234
See Most Recent

What price the EU now? They have shown themselves as exactly what they are....they have not a clue as to how to deal with this crisis. They wanted free movement of people.....well, now they have got it. They need to sort out who is who among these people. They all need to be registered, and all those that are not escaping war need to be taken back home.  Those who have arrived without documentation the same.  Genuine refugees in danger should be welcomed to Europe.

And I am sick to death of the blatantly biased BBC showing the picture of that poor little drowned boy, and parading a succession of different politicians and others telling us that we should be ashamed at our response. Have these MPs consulted their constituents before they go on TV speaking for them?

Where are the EU lovers now....Mandelson,Kinnock, Blair...? Very quiet in the face of this monumental tragedy.

I think this should be on the RANT thread!

Message 8 of 234
See Most Recent

The BBC coverage has been astonishing in its bias.  

Message 9 of 234
See Most Recent

it's interesting to study how different people interpret this tragedy and how easy it is to present iit in support of one cause or another. The horror and fear of some at the prospect of being overrun by marauding foreigners smacks of hysteria. I certainly agree that our tiny plot in the Atlantic is not capable of taking in yet more residents without having a detrimental impact on it. We are however one of the most creative group of nations on the planet, we can split the atom, we have cured many diseases and continue to do so, we have fought for freedom, made some historic inventions and yet we react with impotence to a humane catastrophe responding in a nimby way rather than seeking a world wide solution. Who is taking the responsible approach? Before you say we do this and they do that or the media is biased and we are not furnished with the facts, surely when a tragedy unfolds one needs to assist those threatened, find the root cause, extinguish it and help to create a stable community free from dictatorship, persecution and medieval despots.

Message 10 of 234
See Most Recent

I don't feel horror or fear, but I do think this could be a tipping point in the way we see "borders".  Whether that is ultimately "good" or "bad", I make no comment on.  My point is the current situation shows that normal "rules" cannot be upheld in the face of a huge number of people on the move peacefully who do not have the resources to pay for the services being used.  That could ultimately change whether nations are able to operate welfare states for anyone.

Message 11 of 234
See Most Recent

Im sure all our hearts go out to the little boy and brother who drowned,  what i hate, is how the some politicians seem to be feeding off the story.  Opening the borders to more asylum seekers does not solve the problem and would most probably exasberate it, far beyond the present situation.

Most seem to want to go to Germany, as they look like they will be more welcome there.

All i can see that will happen is more and more will try and make these dangerous trecks, especially if its likely they will be accepted, more and more children will drown and suffocate as a result.

The problem needs to be solved at source, first with the smugglers, and then with sorting out these worn torn countries, it needs a unified world response to create a long term solution

Message 13 of 234
See Most Recent

Since these flash points switched to Hungary, Macedonia, and Serbia, the 5,000 or so desperate people camped in the Jungle in Calais seem to have been forgotten by the BBC and the media. They are still desperate to come to the UK,so what should happen to them? Would Joe Bloggs like us to take all those as well? 

Message 14 of 234
See Most Recent

I don't mean to sound heartless, but I don't understand why this child in particular is causing so much disruption, he is far from the first child to die, from drowning, to babies suffocating in lorries, not to mention all the adults, so why is this one little boy a turning point.

Message 15 of 234
See Most Recent

@astrologica wrote:

Since these flash points switched to Hungary, Macedonia, and Serbia, the 5,000 or so desperate people camped in the Jungle in Calais seem to have been forgotten by the BBC and the media. They are still desperate to come to the UK,so what should happen to them? Would Joe Bloggs like us to take all those as well? 

We have sent out a message that anyone can come in.  Cameron an others, had no policy. That's government for you?

In WW2 children were sent to safe places whilst their parents either fought or continued to work, the children were usually returned to their family's home, what's changed? 

I was going to ask Joe Bloggs who he is demonizing?  I was going to ask Joe Bloggs to click on this attachment. To see what he thinks of this:

R.I.P LITTLE BOY.

Message 16 of 234
See Most Recent

@marg*e wrote:

I don't mean to sound heartless, but I don't understand why this child in particular is causing so much disruption, he is far from the first child to die, from drowning, to babies suffocating in lorries, not to mention all the adults, so why is this one little boy a turning point.

The media are using this photo as a shock tatic..
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 17 of 234
See Most Recent

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/07/britain-refugee-magnet-sudanese-channel-tunnel...Read the comments..
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 18 of 234
See Most Recent

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu
Message 19 of 234
See Most Recent

@marg*e wrote:

Because it's an 'iconic' and shocking image.  It's not the first time a provocative and powerful image has shifted public consciousness/debate on a crisis:

http://www.wonderslist.com/10-most-iconic-images/

Not sure why some are blubbing about the BBC's coverage in particular? All the press are covering this story from a similar pitch - even the hate preachers.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COCy7ZgWcAAy_ks.jpg

Message 20 of 234
See Most Recent