Techie Help Please Re Dongle

I am going on holiday to a holiday camp later in the year

There is WiFi available in public areas but not in the chalets

Someone mentioned something to me about a USB dongle which will enable me to get internet anywhere.  I think they work in a similar way to pay as you go mobiles.

I have looked on here, and there are so many different ones.

Anyone any idea what type I would need please.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

IF the holiday camp is in the UK then it is worth considering the Vodafone dongle.  To buy they are less than £20 and a months PAYG sim is £10 for 1GB or £15 for 3GB.

If the camp is not in this country then you will be far better off looking at buying a dongle and SIM where the camp is located.

Another option if holidaying in this country is if you have a smart phone, (iPhone, Galaxy etc), then you can set up a personal hotspot connection on your phone which your laptop could connect to.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

.....60_12.jpgI use one of these when im far away from the WIFI rooter

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Excellent for when there is a weak wifi signal Tommy but no good when there isn't any at all.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

@upthecreekyetagain wrote:

Excellent for when there is a weak wifi signal Tommy but no good when there isn't any at all.

How far away is he from the main rooter.. You can buy differernt ones. Or get a high speed dongle..Pity he cant visit the camp.... Its a holiday who needs a computer..or phone.. I used to turn my phone off untill i went to the Bar at night..
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

At home or abroad, I just connect to my phone...set up a personal hotspot. Been doing that for over 10 years now, though I had a dongle as well, the first time I went abroad. Chucked the dongle as the phone worked so well. It's even faster at home than using the BT hub. 

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

Yes, it is in this country.  Holiday or not, I need the internet to keep track of my online banking and dont want to do that in public.

Also need to keep the website up to date.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

I like creeky's suggestion in the second post in the thread.

It's a horribly expensive way of getting your data, but "piggy-backing" on an open wi-fi network might just render you more vulnerable. (Happy meomories of the sister-in-law saying, "Oh, how convenient - (nephew's name) has just shown me that all the Windows computers using this router are visible to each other, and we can simply share files" - and unlike me, she actually has programming skills.)

1GB is very little in this day and age but, if you just stick to what you're proposing and resist trying to stream movies and things, might prove a safe and relatively cost-effective option.

'Tis what I do on my hols, but I don't do anything "sensitive."

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent