Supermarkets are to drop the price of fuel ......

again at the pumps and the RAC are saying it might even go as low as £1 a litre this year.

I wonder what impact this will have on food costs and maybe even jobs as profits are cut for the bigger employers.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

i would imagine it's swings and roundabouts what thet lose on less profit on petrol they will save on the transportation side

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

If you cook your own food from scratch , then price of fuel does not bother you 

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

papko, not many people have the facilities to grow their own vegetables never mind raising cows or sheep or pigs. Even those animals incur costs taking them to be slaughtered and butchered.

If the profit margin gets really tight for the big supermarkets they put the squeeze on farmers and by doing so could put some of the smaller ones out of business.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

You would hope so Fiona but as you well know living in the Shetlands it is the transportation that dictates prices and would the ferry companies drop their costs as most of them sell space on the ship by volume and not how much it costs for them to get it there.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Aldi is full of fruit and veg , a soup pack containing Turnip , Onions 5 carrots and a Suede , costs £1.30 , a pack of lintils 80p 

So theres £2 for a pot that will heartily feed 8    (buy it in tinned versions cost you what ? £20 ? ) 

Flour eggsa Milk , make pancakes ----------------- Feed dozens .................

25 kilos Pototoes £10 ?  keep a family going for a month anyway , 

Never been to the Shetlands , so have no idea about the surcharge imposed there ,

What you really mean is that people who are too lazy to walk , and cook , rely on ready meals and they have seen their money buy less ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its not much to do with fuel prices , such peoiple will always be poor 

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

No papko, what I mean is people like me that get up at 0500 to drive the 35 miles to work and get home maybe at 1830. Who at the weekend walks to the supermarket to buy essentials to cook my meals from scratch.

It costs me fuel to go to and get back from work and when I go to the supermarket I am paying towards the overheads they incur, like wages, electricity, transportation costs and have talked to employees in the supermarket that have said when people have left they are not being replaced and more and more work is getting put on those remaining.

I myself would not like to live on soup and pancakes for a month, a bit of a boring diet to say the least.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

£1.09 yesterday

ridiculous price considering you can smell the refinery where the stuff comes from as you fill up

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

£1.07.7 here in the Asd*  on the west coast Al and they say transporting it dictates the price ROLLOX ! The refinery is nearly on your doorstep and I am 60 miles away. On the road over at Stirling services it is if not the most expensive petrol in the area certainly one of the most and is over £1.11 a litre.

Morris*ns £1.09.9 and Jet the same.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent