Spirits, what is your experience with them?

Hello.

I would like to know how long it is OK to keep and then use to consume, whether it be a straight drink or in cooking, alcoholic spirits, such as whisky, brandy, vodka etc. I even have a full bottle of "Bailey's Irish Cream" stuff.

Over a few years I have acquired a few bottles, 1/4 sizes, full sizes and a few miniatures.
Some of the 1/4 size I have opened and had a few measures from but as I'm not really a drinker they've just been sealed with the screw tops and kept.

There is no sell by, use by or best before dates that I can see.

Is there anyone who knows about the subject as I'd appreciated any input, it seems a shame to waste them, could I possibly even use unopened ones as gifts maybe?

Thank you in advance.
Next mood swing in six minutes.
Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Your unopened bottles of spirits are fine as spirits don't change once they've been bottled.

The opened ones are different as alcohol can evaporate.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

As CD said spirits such as whisky etc are fine even after many years, as to the evaporation even sealed bottles evaporate slightly although at a much slower rate than an opened bottle.

A bit of research regarding the miniatures might be beneficial, as some miniatures especially boxed and sealed can be quite rare now and worth a few pounds.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

I thought, this was going to be about Ghosts

hot-beverage.png 

*ÅL*

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

😂😂😂😂......so did I!

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

So did I.Woman LOL

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

So did I from the title until I read the thread.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

And me!
They will be fine. When I was a teenager I bought a posh bottle of brandy for my Dad who thought it was too good to open so put it in a wardrobe. He died and my mother also kept it for a special occasion and then she died. I put it away for a special occasion and went to work abroad in my 30s, telling the 'friend' who was living in my house that it was being saved for a special occasion, hence was put away in my utility room. When I returned home 19 months later I discovered that she and her sister had drunk it all 😡. So best not to keep spiris too long, but only in case you don't get the chance to enjoy them!

They will be fine as lovely gifts, if you don't want them.
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Thank you all.

Think I will have to tip the opened one away as they are years old lol, but I do have some nice scotch whisky unopened. I'm too old to keep it another 30 odd years so maybe a nice gift for someone.

What about the Bailey's its got cream in it? 🤔

Lol about the Ghosts. 😂😂😅😅
Next mood swing in six minutes.
Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Open spirits will still be fine. The Bailey's might be ok as the alcohol will preserve it and if there is no use by date on the Bailey's bottle. Maybe give it to a friend who likes it (not as a 'proper' present in case no good), they will soon see if it has curdled! I've still got an unopened bottle of Aldi's version of Bailey's that's 2 or 3 years old and expect it will be ok but won't give it as a present just in case.
Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Re DC's comment .....

I saw an old work colleague in my local supermarket a few years ago, 100 miles from where we worked and he and his wife were visiting here on holiday. I invited them round for G&T's as they were going on to dinner at a restaurant near me. I had an unopened bottle of Bombay Sapphire and when I got it out of the cupboard I was cross because there was only about a third left so I was cursing my student lodger - he had had a party at mine when I was away at a conference, without telling me, and I came back to find a box of broken antique plates and a beer can dripping into my TV set. He got notice to find alternative accommodation.
Anyway, I poured out our gins, probably a double each, and then we had another. I couldn't understand why I and they were feeling rather drunk after that; when they went to go the man fell out of my front door! They said they were too drunk to go to dinner! I looked at the bottle later and found a pin prick hole in the corner of the cap. It had been in my cupboard for years so I realised that it must have evaporated over time, leaving very concentrated alcohol!

I don't know if they ever came down here again, but they never called round again for a drink - they must have thought I was dangerous! 🤭 😄
Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

We had an old bottle of Baileys in our larder, can't remember whether or not it had been opened, but I found a use by date and tipped it down the sink!

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Did the out of date Baileys look alright? 

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent