Scottish Wildlife Trust webcams

There are four different webcams on this site. I've been a regular Osprey watcher for a few years now and I've just seen a Red Squirrel feeding for the first time on the squirrel cam.

Smiley Happy

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/

Message 1 of 81
See Most Recent
80 REPLIES 80

Tread very carefully, in 30 or 40 years time; you could find yourself being arrested for historical Beaver abuse / voyerism. Smiley Embarassed

Message 2 of 81
See Most Recent

David Attenorough better watch out then 😉 I have also watched a few Beavers in my time but I don't think watching Ospreys is likely to cause an issue but what about those little things that are always around the nut feeder 😉

Message 3 of 81
See Most Recent

These will be lovely to watch. Thank you Jd for putting this link on. Woman Happy

Message 4 of 81
See Most Recent

I think FA was referring to these little chaps along with other members of the same family, the Long Taileds, the Greats and the Coal.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 81
See Most Recent

And these5506836049_61ecd388aa_b.jpgCrested-Tit-0606F_zps21ceee25.jpg

Message 6 of 81
See Most Recent

ed2e5b8c0f3039deed34c0d2b6175d11.jpg

Message 7 of 81
See Most Recent

Isn't it marvellous how  the Osprey nest at Loch of Lowes has been constructed. Doubt that would get destroyed in any gale. 

I am looking forward to any eggs laid there to watch as often as I can. 

Message 8 of 81
See Most Recent

Yes when the wind is high there is a lot of movement but it seems sturdy enough to withstand anything. As soon as the first bird returns the blog usually starts, quite interesting as it keeps you in touch with what else is going on around the site.

Message 9 of 81
See Most Recent

I wonder how long it takes the Osprey's to actually build the nest. Lots of work involved there. 

Yes a blog would be so interesting to read. 

Message 10 of 81
See Most Recent

The existing nest has been there for a few years, when the birds return they add to it and tidy it up a bit.

Message 11 of 81
See Most Recent

That's interesting to know about. I never thought about that. Thank you Jd. Woman Very Happy

Message 12 of 81
See Most Recent

The ospreys are on the move from Africa so keep your eyes peeled for their return. I go up there each year and it never fails to amaze me just how influential these birds are on young and old alike. They are truly inspirational and are at the forefront of the campaigns to get natures voice heard. Weather permitting I expect our first osprey to return next week😀
Message 13 of 81
See Most Recent

Last two weeks in March is the usual time the first one is spotted, eyes peeled and fingers crossed here. Man Happy

Message 14 of 81
See Most Recent

For sure my eyes will be peeled too. I can't wait to see them there. Woman Very Happy

Message 15 of 81
See Most Recent

A little off the subject of Ospreys but a serious question about the Long Tailed ****..   I hadn't seen any for many years, then around ten years ago they re-appeared.  My gardening work takes me within about a six - seven mile radius of where I live and I now see them regularly all over that area.

I've wondered if they are increasing in numbers and there are now several flocks or if I just see one flock circulating around the area.  Does anyone know how big a territory a flock would have?

Thanks for the close-up picture, when I say I see them they are always flitting about in the tree tops and difficult to see clearly.

Message 16 of 81
See Most Recent

Long tailed **** are a fairly common bird in the U.K. With around 350,000 breeding pairs resident all year round. They are ungainly in flight yet beautiful close up. Usually seen in flocks of up to twenty I have a family of around 14 who frequently visit my feeders, the noise they make is quite distinctive and easy to recognise. There numbers can decline dramatically in severe winters however because brood size is so high they can quickly recover. They weigh less than a 5 pence piece and are one of our smallest birds, the smallest being the wren and the goldcrest. Keep your eyes peeled for the goldcrest flitting around in bushes they are special too😃
Message 17 of 81
See Most Recent

One osprey was on the nest a few moments ago< As yet not sure which one! 

Message 18 of 81
See Most Recent

I  noticed it was mentioned on the blog but missed it. Very blustery up there today

Message 19 of 81
See Most Recent

No its not very pleasant however  remember last year the female was sat on the nest covered in snow, now if tha had been a human they would have demanded a winter fuel payment Smiley Very Happy

Message 20 of 81
See Most Recent