Scottish Highlands

Having just moved to the Scottish Highlands I have made an astonishing discovery - the Royal Mail operates up here at the same postal rates as the rest of the UK. So why do some sellers specifically refuse to post to the Scottish Highlands? I have asked a few and they don't even have the courtesy to reply. Anyone out there have an answer?

Message 1 of 19
See Most Recent
18 REPLIES 18

Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

If they go for independence, it will be!

And then the postage will change for sure - to European rates - both ways.

********************************************************************************
My body is an old warehouse full of declining storage, my mind is a dusty old reference library, strictly for members and archaeologists only
Message 3 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

Not all sellers use Royal Mail.

Especially for large items, other couriers charge considerably more for delivery to Scotland and N.Ireland.

Message 4 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

It's certain postcodes that seem to attract higher postage although there is no reason for Royal Mail deliveries to cost more, just sellers trying it on. Courier deliveries attract a supplement to some Scottish postcodes, I just don't buy from sellers charging more.

Message 5 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

Although RM rates are the same , courier rates are not .....

It is also easy for a seller to tick the exclusion box re Highlands and Islands in error when setting up buyer requirements ....did this myself despite the fact that I should know better as I lived in Scotland for some years ...

Another reason is that some sellers list a variety of items , some courier , some RM . Occasionally sellers do make errors ( they are human after all ) and you can bet your bottom dollar that some buyers will exploit this error , demanding sellers to post bulky items that need to be couriered to far flung places. Any seller that has made a silly error will not wish to repeat it ...much easier to exclude instead.

However as a buyer you can contact the seller to ask for an exemption if the item is listed with postage by RM. The seller may appreciate the info if they have excluded in error or even in ignorance ...
Message 6 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

Royal Mail charge UK rate for Northern Ireland, but Europe rate for Republic of Ireland.

And all the mail probably goes on the same plane.

Photobucket
Message 7 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

That is because Northern Ireland is part of the UK ....Southern Ireland is not ....

At the moment Scotland is part of the UK .........
Message 8 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

SOME carriers do charge more  but mostly they shouldn't.  A little extra to cover ferry charges to the islands is acceptable, but not for mainland deliveries.

I have sent a 4x4 towbar from the north of Scotland to the south of England for £10.  It arrived the next morning.

The carrier leaving London will only go as far as perhaps Manchester where they will transfer parcels to another courier who will perhaps go to Glasgow or Edinburgh where the same will happen again with a carrier from here.  It works in both directions.

I don't think anybody tries to get away with charging more for goods going south.  Perhaps they should.

PS. Scotland will still be part of a United Queendom.  James I of England (VI of Scotland) inherited the throne of England from his cousin Elizabeth I  so we share a Queen - unless she decides to move here permanently.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

Message 10 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

Hello petal!  Woman LOL

I have to use board smilies 'cos I've forgotten HTML a bit, been using BBCode. 

Why have I only got 20-something posts???????  Woman Surprised  Is it since the board was changed?

Message 11 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

Brigadoons  reappeared

lionrampsm.gif

Hi Septic

Message 12 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Obviously I've got the coding wrong and I can't edit now. Woman Sad

:http://i.imgur.com/abABU0D.png

This seems complicated and wrong.

Message 14 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

It would really help and save time if those sellers not willing to post/send to the Highlands would put this on the listing of an item.  This would avoid the disapointment/ anoyance of looking at an item, then checking postage only to find they will not send it to you.

It would also help if the listing showed that additional charges would be made to posting to Highlands

Message 15 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

Whats the popn of the Highlands and Islands  ?  One million ?

and they are all spread out 

The couriers surcharge for remote locations (they dont want to send a van on a hundred mile round trip , to deliver 10 parcels )

when they could do similar in Brimingham and deliver 130 parcels )

Since Couriers ar eprivate companies , they can charge what they want , you the custumer dont have to use them , by surcharging for the Highlands and anywhere that involves sea travel , they are basically saying , "thats the price it sup to you "

Royal mail on the otherhand has by law to treat all parts of the UK the same ,, and thye deliver letters , small parcels , preferably 

a one kilo parcel with a signature is approx £4.30 

a 2 kilo parcel with sig is approx £6.odd 

and a 17 kilo parcel by Parcelforce 24 booked at the post office is £31 ! 

Wheras Couriers the like of UPS , Fed EX , DPD , etc , will deliver 30 kilo parcels in the populous ares of the Uk , for region £10 

(and they collect from your door and provide fuill online track , with £50 insurance ) as default 

If someone sells online for a living , and they sell plus 1 kilo items  , then the only way to deliver them is with a courier 

So if we accept that one in sixty of our custumers live in a remote area , and  it will be expensive to deliver to them , surcharges imposed , or a seller may have to use a courier they are not comfortable with (like Hermes , collect plus ) 

then they can decide its not worth the hasle for sub 2% of sales 

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 16 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

0000000000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 17 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

@septiccpeg wrote:

Why have I only got 20-something posts???????  Woman Surprised  Is it since the board was changed?

Apparently Peg, most of your past postings have all been 'archived'. Whatever that means.

Mister EMB

Message 18 of 19
See Most Recent

Scottish Highlands

When they get Cobwebs on them, they put them in storage.Smiley Indifferent

Message 19 of 19
See Most Recent