Question about Flying

I am in my mid 60s and have never flown in an aeroplane.

I have been in a hot air balloon and a 5 minute pleasure flight in a helicopter

I thought it would be a good idea for me and my friend to go from Bristol to Glasgow by air for a day trip

But looking on a website, it states that all passengers, even on domestic flights must produce photo id.

No problem for me, as I have a photo driving licence, but my friend has no passport or driving licence.

Anyone any idea why they should want this, when, if travelling by train or coach, we can simply buy a ticket and go.

I have trawled the website, but no reason is given.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Question about Flying

I think it's to do with immigration laws, everyone has to show some sort of photo identification even for domestic flights, check the airline you booked with it should show a list of the different I.D's required, you cant really do anything these days unless you have a passport or driving license to prove your identity.
Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Smiley HappyA Bus Pass

Petal
Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Smiley HappyOr If Your Friend Has A Council Place They May Have Their Photo Like Gloucester Do

Petal
Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

What have immigration laws to do with flying within the same country ( I use the term loosely)

It would be the same if I were flying from Bristol to Manchester.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

My friend does have a bus pass, and a disabled blue badge, but not sure if they are acceptable.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Check with whatever airline you were thinking of using, they vary.

Flybe for instance, will accept a photographic disabled badge, a council issued bus pass, or even a pension book.

Easyjet though, don't seem to accept those, apart from a pension book.

Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Is it not more to do with the possibility of some kind of threat, aircraft beng a favoured target of disaffected freedom fighters. You can't just pull up in a layby.

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

I think archie's right: it's a security measure (terrorists presumably not having access to fake photo ID...)  

Some airlines will accept those proof of age cards: they're aimed at youngsters, but there's no upper age limit - it varies by airline, though, so as others have said, check directly.

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Pensions don't come with books these days, they are paid through one's bank

Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Ah I see. Not being in receipt of one, I wouldn't know, I was just quoting from those airlines websites, not personal experience.

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Undoubtedly for security reasons.

If it is Easyjet, they just say:

It’s not necessary to bring your passport if you’re flying to Scotland. You simply need to bring a form of photographic ID: your driving license is acceptable.

So they are only suggesting a driving license but presumably any other form of photographic ID such as a bus pass might be acceptable.  Best to contact them directly and ask before booking.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Many younger RT regulars may remember a thread some years ago in which Ms Seaside built her own Aeroplane and flew it from a field in Brecon around Mount Snowdon wearing only a scarf and a flying helmet. The picture below was taken after she had landed and covered up.

RuthLaw.jpg

Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Looking at the picture, these thoughts occur:

1.  She hasn't got a scarf on

2.  She has no flying-helmet, just what looks like a woolen beenie-hat

3.  Her calfs and feet appear to be encased in leggings from a 14th-century medieval armour suit.

This is highly suspicious. 

Has the photograph been validated by reliable sources?

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Scrutinised, Hypothesised, scanned and panned by the mystified, stared and glared at, even the wooly hat, by official order but with caveat, Scarf and Helmet only must only be worn once the maiden fair has become airborn.

Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Well ok, if you say so.  But it doesn't look real to me. Too posed and false.

What would the motive be? To show that women too, can fly aeroplanes?  If so, it  has led to bad results.

Even during the Battle of Britain in 1940, women weren't allowed to fly combat missions in Spitfires and Hurricanes.

But now in 2015 women are encouraged to join the RAF and attack in fighter planes. Though they probably don't really want to, except that they think they have to, because of the media-pressure on them. 

That old photograph shows a woman pushed out of her natural role.  Does she look happy?

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

It is a real photograph, but the woman is Ruth Law.

She learned to fly around 1912 & was the second woman to perform a loop in 1915.

I can't swear to it, but I don't think the RT was around then.  Woman Wink

Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

The RT wasn't, but a few of the contributors were.

Mister EMB

Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

@malacandran wrote:

Well ok, if you say so.  But it doesn't look real to me. Too posed and false.

What would the motive be? To show that women too, can fly aeroplanes?  If so, it  has led to bad results.

Even during the Battle of Britain in 1940, women weren't allowed to fly combat missions in Spitfires and Hurricanes.

But now in 2015 women are encouraged to join the RAF and attack in fighter planes. Though they probably don't really want to, except that they think they have to, because of the media-pressure on them. 

That old photograph shows a woman pushed out of her natural role.  Does she look happy?

The Soviets didn't seem to have any objections to allowing the girlies to fly in WW2.

Most were late teens-early 20s, those that survived  had nearly all completed 800 missions, no radar, not even parachutes.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/07/night-witches-the-female-fighter-pilots-of-wor...

Media pressure?! Woman LOL

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

Question about Flying

Ooh Nooo - I've been outed  smileyslaughing_lol_dielaughing_100-101.gif

Those joysticks were a challenge. Smiley Very Happy

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent