Property Conveyancing

In this age of technology, one would have thought that the process would have been speeded up and streamlined, but we are talking about solicitors.

They only seem happy when making money by appearing to be busy by shuffling paper about.

We accepted an offer on our parents house 4 weeks ago

A google search gleaned some information, that from offer to exchange of contracts is about 6 weeks, but could be more or could be less.  Very helpful.

Anyone been through the process, and if so, how long did it take.

I appreciate that every transaction is different.  We have no chain on either side.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Property Conveyancing

I've sold six times. Whether it's easy or not depends on whether the property is registered or not.

If it's Registered (at the Land Registry) the title deeds are simple, if it's not the deeds could be a folder up to several inches thick if it's a really old property. The thickest I've had was around three inches for some land when I bought.

Apart from checking that there's no charges (financial) on the property, searches have to be made to see whether there's anything in the local Council and District/County Council plans which might affect the property. Often, it's those searches which can take time.

The contract can be pretty simple, you can exchange contracts quickly, even over the phone between solicitors. As above, the conveyance can be simple or complex depending on the age of the property and/or whether it's registered or not.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Property Conveyancing

It wasn't the actual selling procedure i found to be a problem even though we had to go to the land registry like cd mentioned.

It was the utter incompetence of Solicitors stringing simple signing times out, saying they have done  specific things when they hadn't so wasting time in having to do something that should have been done, then having the nerve to charge for extra time.

Made me so angry.😣

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Property Conveyancing

I've been through it twice; once in England and once in Scotland. In Scotland it was about 8/9 weeks, although that was delayed due to the limited mortgage valuers in Shetland. The England property was a bit less. In both cases there was no chain

The time could depend upon compllications of land ownership, access rights, mineral rights and so on.

In my experience I heard nothing for weeks and then everything came to a head and a date was agreed quite soon after

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Property Conveyancing

Thank you for your replies.

The house is registered, well, I assume it is, I have a copy of the registration from the Land Registry

Although the house is just over 60 years old, my parents bought it new, so no other transactions

As far as I know, Dad never paid ground rent.

I can remember moving in on Christmas Eve 1954.  All my brother and myself were worried about was if Santa knew we had moved.

I have left all the faffing about to my brother, which he is happy to do, and I am happy to let him get on with it.

Thats what brothers are for.

The Estate Agent told brother that buyer is a first time buyer with guaranteed mortgage funds, whatever that means.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Property Conveyancing

Sounds like it should be quite smooth. Perhaps your solicitor is waiting on their requests ie search fees, Land Registry changes etc. Just give them a quick call and ask for an update; after all your going to be paying them enough. Get your money's worth

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent