Netherlands have now banned Wild Animals in Circuses, come on UK

It is now illegal for wild animals, such as lions, bears, elephants, and giraffes, to be used in circuses in the Netherlands!

Tuesday, September 15, 2015, a ban on Wild animals  in circuses officially went into effect in the Netherlands. As ForePaws reports,  the ban was passed just last week and has left animal rights activists everywhere breathing a bit easier.

Wild animals such as lions, bears, elephants, and giraffes, will no longer have to endure extensive travel  or life in cramped, poorly-laid-out enclosures for the sole purpose of entertaining humans.

As has been shared before life for an animal in captivity is not at glamorous as it might appear to be in the ring. Oftentimes, circus animals undergo rigorous training (causing mass amounts of stress) and/or abuse inflicted by trainers seeking to instill fear.

Of the 22 active circuses in the Netherlands, 16 own a total of 119 various wild animals. Species that are banned from 15 September 2015 include giraffes, elephants, tigers, lions, zebras, sea lions and primates.

WAY PAST TIME FOR THE UK TO DO THE SAME

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Great news and about time too. Let's hope the rest of Europe and the wider world follow suit. 

Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good news.Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Just what I was coming on to post too jd.linklater!

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Let's hope more Countries do the same without harm to those remaining Animals who will need careful rehab.
Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

A Law to ban wild animals in UK circuses was drafted 2 years years ago, but it has been blocked 12 times by 3 idiot Tory MPs:

Andrew Rosindell

Philip Davies

Christopher Chope

I think it's appalling that 3 individuals can block a law which is wanted by 90% of the British public and supported by the Government and the Labour Party.

I'd like to lock those 3 MPs in cramped cages, drag them round the country and make them perform stupid tricks.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

@suzieseaside wrote:

A Law to ban wild animals in UK circuses was drafted 2 years years ago, but it has been blocked 12 times by 3 idiot Tory MPs:

Andrew Rosindell

Philip Davies

Christopher Chope

I think it's appalling that 3 individuals can block a law which is wanted by 90% of the British public and supported by the Government and the Labour Party.

I'd like to lock those 3 MPs in cramped cages, drag them round the country and make them perform stupid tricks.

I presume your stats are accurate, can you reveal the source please?

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Here's one source out of a few newspaper articles over the past couple of years.  This one is from March this year:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ban-on-wild-animals-in-circus-blocked-by-tory-backben...

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

And 2 others

From 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/dec/05/law-to-ban-wild-animals-in-uk-circuses-being-bloc...

March this year

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/circus-animals-everyone-wants-save-5296579

At least there are far fewer circuses with wild animals these days compared with decades ago. I think I read only 2 now

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent