Mobile phone companies ripping us off?

I have been with Orange mobile for years, all OK until Orange changed to EE but I have had increasingly long periods of 'No Service' over the last few months in my home (over 36 hours over last weekend). It was never a problem before.  I live near the centre of a town and I know there is nothing wrong with my phone (iphone 4s) because it works when I visit a friend up the hill on the outskirts of town.

There is plenty on the internet about problems with getting a connection with ee, so I had my phone unlocked by EE, changed to BT and inserted and activated my new SIM yesterday.  Since then I have had no service whatsoever and have waited ages on my landline to get through to BT technical help but have given up for today.

My phone is not that old, although it is 3G not 4G.  I'm beginning to wonder if this lack of signal with both BT and EE is a deliberate ploy to get people to either have a phone contract with a new phone rather than a SIM only, or to get them to fork out £500 + for a newer 4G smart phone.  If so, this built in obsolescence is making me mad, not to mention the waste generated. 

I don't use my phone a lot and even a SIM only contract is not cheap.  I cannot afford to buy a new expensive phone every couple of years and see no reason why it should be necessary.

Every month there are new models of laptops, phones, and other electronic goods being produced.  All this market competition doesn't seem to keep prices down, it just generates more built in obsolescence. You cannot buy any iphone 4 batteries or chargers in any mobile phone shops any more, and haven't been able to for a while.  Ridiculous I think.

Anyway does anyone know if the lack of signal is because I still have a 3G phone? And why should that mean I can't get text or phone even in a town or with 2 well known mobile companies?

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Some bad news for you - BT use the EE network so any problems you where having with EE will be the same with BT.

I would suggest buying a PAYG SIM from another provider (Vodafone or O2) and seeing which one works best.

If O2 works then look at GiffGaff as the cheapest SIM only provider.

If Vodafone is the best then look at Talk Mobile for a SIM only deal, again, the cheapest available.

In this country, despite there being many companies selling airtime for mobiles, there are only 4 service providers.

They are 3, EE, O2 and Vodafone.

Everyone else mearly rents line/air time from these providers and sells it on.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent