Meanwhile in conservative Stroud............

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/05/why-were-ready-to-open-our-homes-to-refugees

Stroud, a conservative Gloucestershire town, can’t fix the refugee crisis on its own – but a small movement is brewing there.

"Stroud mayor Kevin Cranston, who signed the letter to the Stroud News and Journal, believes that taking in 10 refugees is a perfectly practicable proposition, and that such questions can be resolved. “I have no problem helping to find accommodation, there are enough empty properties here,” he said.

Is it legal to accommodate and support undocumented migrants who have no entitlement to public funds?

“I’m assuming that if we can persuade the government that we will take in and support 10 people in Stroud, the government would allow them in and give them leave to stay,” said Cranston.

“The government is perfectly able to send officials over to where refugees are and ensure they can come in legally. It’s all a question of will. If they want to, they can. After all, they found £7m six weeks ago to put more barbed wire round Calais. Cameron is scared of Ukip, but really he ought to be more concerned about the greater number of voters in this country who aren’t racist bigots.”

We are many,They are few
Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

It,s Eight Miles Away

No Need To Go And Fetch Em,They Get Off The Lorrys On The M5

Lot,s Of Huugy 70s People Out There Protesting About Phone Masks Houseing And Fracking And Insinerators

Lot,s Of Un married Mothers Too

Petal
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well good luck to them and if they have the space and the money then go for it.

Maybe those who have a room spare as big as a wardrobe they have to pay bedroom tax for can open their house for a few refugees and have the council pay for it.

I admire their idealism, but living in a poor inner city neighbourhood might give you a different few on things.

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

So true harry, but we mustn't think only of ourselves, I am quite sure that if our economy collapsed along with our currency there would be countries falling over themselves to provide us with emergency aid. 

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Smiley LOL

Petal
Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, sure they will.

erzso photo www_tvn_hu_7bec1af5e42bae4831d65962_1.gif

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

@joe_bloggs* wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/05/why-were-ready-to-open-our-homes-to-refugees

Stroud, a conservative Gloucestershire town, can’t fix the refugee crisis on its own – but a small movement is brewing there.

"Stroud mayor Kevin Cranston, who signed the letter to the Stroud News and Journal, believes that taking in 10 refugees is a perfectly practicable proposition, and that such questions can be resolved. “I have no problem helping to find accommodation, there are enough empty properties here,” he said.

Is it legal to accommodate and support undocumented migrants who have no entitlement to public funds?

“I’m assuming that if we can persuade the government that we will take in and support 10 people in Stroud, the government would allow them in and give them leave to stay,” said Cranston.

“The government is perfectly able to send officials over to where refugees are and ensure they can come in legally. It’s all a question of will. If they want to, they can. After all, they found £7m six weeks ago to put more barbed wire round Calais. Cameron is scared of Ukip, but really he ought to be more concerned about the greater number of voters in this country who aren’t racist bigots.”

Wow. Who'd have thunk it? Maybe there is some "compassion" in some Conservatives after all?

As for the subsequent comments, I'm not sure Black Wednesday and the destruction of Homs are quite the same league.

A1_Open.jpg

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Wow. Who'd have thunk it? Maybe there is some "compassion" in some Conservatives after all?

Yeah, cus no Tory could ever be compassionate, all decent qualities are purely the rhealm of lefties of course!!!

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

@lambsy_uk wrote:

Yeah, cus no Tory could ever be compassionate, all decent qualities are purely the rhealm of lefties of course!!!

Exactly. Next thing you know IDS will be buying his suits from Oxfam!

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Great idea, and a good opportunity to discard your romper suit and get something more appropriate. 

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

A book perhaps? "The Haynes Guide to Deal With Bunny Boilers Suffering From Narcissistic Rage"?

Yes... that IDS is a right old scoundrel.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent