Leaping Foxes

Was there a thread a while ago discussing whether or not foxes can jump over fences?

Well I can absolutely say, they can. 

As I type, a beautiful fox is sitting on top of the corner post of my 7 foot high garden fence, calmly surveying the surrounding gardens.   I can't get a photo, because my shed is in that corner so I can't get close enough.

I watched him for a while before he jumped up there.  He ate the bread I threw out for the birds, and drank the water that had collected in a flower pot - so he's had his breakfast slight_smile

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Leaping Foxes

They will probably climb higher. I lived in a area were the foxes were always in the garden, some allowed me to hand feed them.

I have seen them jump the fences many times. Strangly enough I now live in the country and they are few and far between and very timid.

They are a joy to watch. x

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

Smiley Very Happysomething like this

.climbing foxes.gif

Petal
Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

Some years ago I owned a wood where I used to take my dogs. Late one December afternoon I was down there with my dog (who was getting old) and he'd gone up a steep bank continually barking. He wouldn't come down so I went to investigate and there was a Fox hanging by one leg, upside down. 

I thought someone had killed it and hung it from the fence but when I went to it, it was very much alive! It was a netting fence with two rows of barbed wire above and it seems he'd somehow got one leg twisted round the top row of barbed wire. There was nothing I could do as he tried to bite when I went close enough and the dog was giving it rock on too so I went home and phoned the RSPCA. They arranged for a Vet to meet me at home and I'd show the way because by that time it'd gone dark and they'd never find the wood (down narrow country lanes) never mind find the Fox plus the gate in to the wood was locked.

The vet arrived and turned out to be a young woman. Not only was she wearing fashion boots and a dress, she was also German! (She spoke excellent English BTW).

I asked her if she was bothered heading off in to the dark to heck knows where to the depths of a wood with some strange bloke she'd only just met. She said she wasn't bothered so off we jolly well went. By this time it's pitch Black so we walked up the path in to the wood and up the bank to the Fox. She restrained it while I cut my barbed wire to free him (it was a dog Fox). She put him in one of those wire cages and got him in the car. She took me home and took the Fox to the surgery to treat his leg which as badly grazed.

I phoned the vets next morning to ask how he was and they told me they'd treated his leg, fed him then took him back to my wood and released him through the gate. She said he'd gone down the path a short way, turned to look, then was gone in to the depths of the wood. She also said he's squirted his glands in her car and in the surgery!!!!!

How about that for a Foxy tale??

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

I note I missed a "w" out there.

Also, I forgot to say that the Fox was in magnificent condition. His coat was immaculate, shiny and he just looked like he'd been bathed, brushed and groomed. His eyes were lovely, big and bright.

Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

I 💜 Foxes. There aren't any near where I live, so I am really jealous of all of you who see them near you.☹️

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

Leave some cat food out at night (beware if you think there are rats near you) The foxes will come.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

C27C2B11-F484-4623-9228-2905F90C3D47.jpeg

A fox got ‘mum’ just seconds after I took this photo - took her head off in one bite!

Tried to save the ducklings but they had scattered into the hedgerow.

Nature can be beautiful and ugly at the same time.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

Have a look here:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-45278003/bbc-radio-4-s-zeb-soanes-befriends-an-urban...

Live long and prosper.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

BRILLIANT cee dee 

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

Not certain about leaping foxes but two nights ago something between dusk and dawn completely cleared my first ever crop of golden plums! Some of the branches are quite high and flimsy and yet there is no damage or sign of anything dropped on the ground? So who did it?
Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

A scurry of pesky Squirrels? Or a jam- making neighbour?!
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Leaping Foxes

Haven’t seen any squirrels of late and if my neighbour tried to climb the tree it would be broken. I also thought that squirrels might be responsible however I am thinking that possibly a bird might be the culprit👍
Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent