Kumquats

A few years ago, my local greengrocer had some tiny oranges the size and shape of large grapes. They had a rind as sweet as candy with a nice contrasting sour center. He never got any in again after that punnet and I've been searching for them ever since. 

Waitrose and Sainsburys apparently stock them (according to mysupermarket..co.uk) but I've never seen them in either of their stores.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Kumquats

How about growing your own,seen some kumquat plants in pots at Aldi the other day,

https://www.aldi.co.uk/the-green-garden-citrus-plant/p/082488198640000

The-Green-Garden-Citrus-Plant-A.jpg

We are many,They are few
Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Kumquats

They are lovely, I first came across them in South Africa they are available here year round but you will need to source a wholesaler local to you.
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Kumquats

Sainsburys, 150g for £1.75

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Kumquats

Thanks for the heads up Joe_bloggs.

I went to two Aldis today and they didn't even have citrus trees let alone kumquats. Just my luck.

Fallen Archie,

How can I buy from a wholesaler? Would I have to ask a greengrocer to get them in? My local grocer kept saying he could get more, but gave me the run around for 2 weeks. "Sorry, I'll definately have them tomorrow" or "Sorry I forgot"  unamused

I could easily eat a pack a day.

cee-dee,

I've looked in loads of Sainsbury stores but never see them. I did score some mandarinquat seeds on eBay this week (madarin/kumquat hybrids) which I've been after for years. I'll have to wait a good 14 years from them to fruit and try them though (if they do).

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Kumquats

what is your nearest city?
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Kumquats

Email Sainsburys and ask them where the nearest store to you has stock. They're shown on their website at the price I mentioned and usually, when something's on their site, it's in stock.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Kumquats

I found some today in Sainsburys. I really do need glasses. They were probably right there under my nose all that time grin

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Kumquats

never heard of them but I am going to look out for them now!!

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent