It seems that I put my foot in it ... but what should I have done?

My next-door-neighbour died a couple of days ago. We weren't what I would call friends, but he had lived there for over 20 years and we chatted occasionally and helped each other with a bit of DIY or garden maintenance every now and again, especially since he had bowel cancer five years ago. I realised that we hadn't seen him for a month or more, so, when I bumped into his daughter yesterday, I asked after him and was shocked to be told that the cancer had returned and he had been in hospital for two weeks then a hospice for two weeks before dying. I expressed my sorrow, asked if her mother was OK, was there anything I could do to help, and enquired about the funeral arrangements as I would like to show my last respects.

No sooner had I got back home a few minutes later than the telephone rang, with the daughter saying it was nothing to do with us, their family was sorting everything out and that we should keep out of their family affairs.

I recognise that people can behave oddly through grief, and perhaps she regretted having been so open about his illness - although he had told me about it, in some detail, five years ago - but it all seemed very rude and I didn't know what to say.

The complication is that they are East African Indians, of the Hindu faith; they celebrate Diwali, but didn't seem particularly devout. I realise that I know nothing about their customs, including funerals. Had they already had a rapid cremation, as in India? They have been in Britain for 30-40 years - all three children were born here - and all the family wear 'British' clothes and speak English at home. 

I obviously put my foot in it, without meaning to. I think I did what I would have done with anyone I knew. They and we were good neighbours and I don't want to fall out with them.

What should I have done? And what next?

Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Smiley IndifferentHmm,tricky one Sir Arthur i did the same thing last week

seems they maybe upset so it might be best just to be polite,maybe a word with another family member if you know them well enough

Petal
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would buy a card, not a sympathy one, just a nice card.

I would write on it that I meant no offence in any way or form and hope they will accept my apologies if anything I said was inappropriate. Then I would just end with words like, "May time heal your pain", or something like that. Keep it simple.

I don't think there is more you can do.

People are often not themselves in these kind of circumstances, so just let it go.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

How odd. I wouldn't have thought that thier race or faith have aything to do with it. She obviously misinterpreted something you said, but I can't think what. I would just send a message that you have no idea what you said that caused such offence, but what ever it was, you are sorry for any misunderstanding. I don't think there is anything else you can do seeing as you have no idea what you said wrong.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Smiley Frustratedooh dear i think i got it Sir Arthur

bottom bit of link

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?gws_rd=ssl#q=hindu+death+rituals

Petal
Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are we now all expected to know the funeral rituals of every religion just in case we might offend someone?

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

I think Harry's reply is just right, and I would do exactly the same. Don't beat yourself up over it Sir Art, you did nothing wrong.
Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

The situation you have found yourself in seems too incredible for words. Surely anyone would have done the same as you did. I certainly would have done.

This is the kind of thing that happens when other religions fail to understand the way of life over here ~ even though they've been here for years. You did what was right regardless of their beliefs. They should have understood and accepted your condolences.

Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi.. If everything you have said is verbatim then you have said/done nothing wrong..maybe in her grief she misinterpreted your intentions... I would just stick a card through the letterbox...  sorry for your loss.. etc.... and can i have my lawnmower back that I lent your dad...

Ignore anything under this ^^^^^ line... It's just my signature....
Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Thanks to everybody for your helpful comments.

I think I have decided to do nothing for now. As I don't know what I said that was wrong in the first place, I think saying (or writing) anything else just risks making it worse. We'll probably bump into each other again in a month or two when things are a bit less sensitive.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Bad ..You offered to help them they are proud people and dont need anyones help..they didnt understand what you ment..leave it and move on..

......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

There is very little else you could have done other than what you did.  Unfortunately some cultures can be guarded at the best of times let alone at times like these.  This self imposed segregation by various minorities would be a good indication why so many are turning to the likes of UKIP.  Personally I'd like us all to just get along but assimilation is a two way street which neither side seems keen to embrace Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent