Is BBC worth the cost of the licence?.

i know at one time they had a monopoly, but now with 100s of channels to choose from surely not.

Now they've came up with this, previously free to laptops and other devices.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/bbc-to-start-charging-for-iplayer-catch-up-service-070503593.html#RAzdmVT

Message 1 of 57
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I think the BBC is worth every penny of the licence fee, probably because I don't have Sky and rarely watch commercial stations. I'm totally against TV advertising in particular because it is all so infantile and unnecessarily noisy, probably because most advertising is odiously aimed at children who of course are the consumers of the future.

I think the BBC's news coverage is second to none, most of their scientific output is well made without being overcomplicated, their dramas are usually well acted and produced and their coverage of the sports I'm interested in (Tennis, Snooker and Formula1) is first class. I've been in heaven this past fortnight watching Wimbledon.

There is far too much drivel on TV, I'm glad the BBC is there to restore a little balance. Smiley Happy

Message 34 of 57
See Most Recent
56 REPLIES 56

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hardly ever ever watch the BBC and think it's terrible that I have to pay for something I don't watch.

Message 2 of 57
See Most Recent

Not even 'QI', 'HIGNFY', and 'Mock the Week' are worth £145.50p per annum. Given the choice, I'd kick aunty Beeb into the long grass.

And God knows what the odd fifty pence represents.

Mister EMB

Message 3 of 57
See Most Recent

Smiley SurprisedSlushfund

Petal
Message 4 of 57
See Most Recent

Such a shame that te BeeB has been pushed down this road. It was and sometimes still is a great broadcaster however Murdoch has been pulling government strings for some time, it has been a war of attrition and one riddled with planted stories of BBC excesses. Yes some were true, Yes Saville and others were trusted but those of you who enjoy TV better get used to it declining further, Adverts throughout, product placement, Programme sponsors and when you do get some coverage look out for logos bouncing across the screen. You only have to look at the way internet services are going, sometimes there is more advertising screen space than the subject matter. I would also ask if you believe the current raft of private media broadcasters can be trusted to provide balanced news coverage, and what about watching the FA cup live at two in the morning because we have to cater for the chinese market. 

For those who find the Licence fee unacceptable fear not, it will go, start thinking about how you will spend the £3 a week you will save!

You may wish to rent one film a week from sky, save a few weeks and watch the American Superbowl, get a lottery ticket and a packet of rennies. 

Message 5 of 57
See Most Recent

I would agree with you if it were not for the amount of money they waste and the super high salaries
Message 6 of 57
See Most Recent

Simple answer - yes, the output from the BBC is well worth £3 a week.

Message 7 of 57
See Most Recent

no it is not worth 3 pounds a week ..thats a tin of tesco's brand a day. Its tv not an asset for existence...

now if you got 3 quid spare and want to pay thats fine but do so like sky do it  certainly for me you can take your ''must pay for tv liecence to us even if you dont use our service'' where the sun don't shine...get it private for those who want to pay wogan and wossy,and leave the rest of us to paying for 'Our' choice.

Message 8 of 57
See Most Recent

There are many reasons why the Beeb should remain and many more for controlling the private sector circus.
I don't enjoy paying Tax or National insurance or Vat or council tax. There are dozens of taxes used to provide health care. Defence and a range of other benefits. It would be fairer if the nations Broadcaster were given funding but allowed to operate under an improved charter which might rid us of the excesses but save us from Murdoch.
Message 9 of 57
See Most Recent

I think the BBC is well worth the TV licence cost. If only because there are no annoying adverts. I would happily pay £5 per week, because I don't watch sport or Sky etc. I like good old Auntie Beeb.
Message 10 of 57
See Most Recent

liking it is fine ..paying for it is fine ..forcing on people as a tax...is not fine ..why, well because it isnt a health service it isnt an armed protector or a road rubbish and policer ..its a corporation and a business..so by all means those who like it pay for it .

Message 11 of 57
See Most Recent

Maybe the question is not a matter of how the BBC is financed but whether or not their should be public service broadcaster at all.

Would Britain be a better place without the BBC television channels, without the various radio services, without the various World broadcasting services, without the original drama, documentaries, comedies and news services it provides. 

Personally I think Britain would lose something if the BBC were allowed to be closed down and don't like the idea of it being financed by either central government or commercial interests which really only leaves direct financing by the public as an option.  If this direct payment method, (i.e. the licence fee), was elective then viewing would have to be restricted so that only those having made a payment could receive it which by definition would mean it was no longer a public service broadcaster.

Message 12 of 57
See Most Recent

I think yes your right ,the bbc in its day has provided and still does in some cases especially  the radio (not 1 ) ...but now is a market britain...its all too confusing to have this heritage angle mixed into the ''you dont have a heritage buy my product do as your told stop asking why are you not saying.....ahhhh ...

Well it would have my full support as a public service as so would anything from Britains past (good attemps all round at being fair)...but it is not like that so either a time machine and all ok or ,i'm sorry no way can a company be using the public as an income.Unless by choice

I would prefer the first but must accept the latter so to speak.

Message 13 of 57
See Most Recent

footnote ..and what is really really beyond wrong and needs a lawyer is the fact if you do not pay ...you can go to prison...wth  prison ??????????? wth ...if I do not pay my electric I am not supplied the service,same with sky and virgin ,same with rent even...but TV licence  and prison ,I mean  get outta here ,you must be kidding right ? 

Sham and Scam

Message 14 of 57
See Most Recent

Worth every Penny, for the Radio, websites and of course numerous TV channels

The Tories don't like the BBC because it is very good at investigating Political shenanigans, they do the most under the table stuff so are the subject of most of the Investigations. They don't like this so are after the Beeb for political reasons.

But also loads of the Tories are in Murdochs pocket, so will do His bidding against the Beeb that He views as his main enemy

Message 15 of 57
See Most Recent

I remember reading back in March that there was a plan to charge a universal broadcasting fee - basically a tax - to every household regardless of whether they have a TV or not. 

It won't come in before 2026, and I don't know if this 'plan' is still being considered. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tv-radio/end-of-the-licence-fee-bbc-to-back-radical-overhaul...

I don't mind paying something, but like Lynda i think said, I don't think some of the utterly bonkers salaries paid to the likes of wossy ( £6 million annual package quoted in 2014!!) and 'hurry up' Paxman amongst several other BBC 'stars'  are justified.  But I suppose the Beeb would argue that they would lose them otherwise, but I don't think that is value for money.  Bring on some new and cheaper talent..

I have a few friends who don't have a TV but they are sent endless reminders by TV Licensing who don't seem to believe them.  I wonder how much money is wasted in pester post from TV licensing.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 16 of 57
See Most Recent

I have to pay for a licence as my mobile phone can get tv...I am on contract so cant get rid yet...I use my phone for work,calling friends and the odd pop a bubble,I have no idea how to and even less want ,to watch telly (on any object)

If you get a fee whether you have a tv or not its more stealth tax and therefore prison you go for not being able to afford something you don't have or use...awesome (not)

Political is not a reason to pay a business now is it  ,if that was their agenda and asked for a fee then again thats fine to keep up the good work,but it should be advertised as that and again those who want to can do ,anything else imo is wrong.

but hey ,what isnt in todays world of business .

Message 17 of 57
See Most Recent

There was an attempt to decriminalise non payment of TV licence, but DC was defeated in the vote. Back in the late 70s the TV licence people came after me...lots of threatening letters...fines imprisonment etc. I wrote back to each. The first I think I said I didn't have a TV....they said everyone has a TV. Then I said I don't have electricity. They didn't believe me then either. Then I said, you don't need one for a calor gas TV. They came back with: yes, you do.

They said they were coming up to check and I would get a fine. I said, whatever the fine, I am the ferry and whatever you fine me, I will double as the ferry fee..and you will have to pay up before you will be returned to the mainland, for my inconvenience. No electricity = no TV. And that was the end of it, till I bought a TV in the 80s....they charged a back dated year extra licence. Blooming thieves.
Message 18 of 57
See Most Recent

lol ..good one 😄 

not the theft bit of course but yep they owe me a few quid as well but wont cough up but so does the electric ,waterboard and taxman...I must have a sign on my head 🙂

Message 19 of 57
See Most Recent

Question. 'What's the difference between a BBC TV Detector Van, and the Dodo bird ?

Answer.    'The Dodo bird actually existed.

Mister EMB

Message 20 of 57
See Most Recent