In the 70 years since the trauma of AUSCHWITZ...

What have we learned? 

We know that Hitler, was rearming secretly, after the first world war. But no matter what the cost that should never have been allowed to happen.  What unbelievable complacency IMO.

As a single minded, successful and highly focused attempt to wipe out a single people in modern times. I think it stands out alone as the greatest crime in human history. Especially when you consider the infrastructure, coordination and resources poured into the act. Surely it is amongst the greatest crimes in human history?

What God was doing what while all this was happening?

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

I dunno about Gods but his so-called "messengers" were doing the same as they're doing these days, killing all those they don't agree with or don't like!

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

I dunno about Gods but his so-called "messengers" were doing the same as they're doing these days, killing all those they don't agree with or don't like!

Well...give him a chance. He might be back soon? ''suffer unto me'' wasn't it?

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

What makes this anniversary most poignant is the fact that the survivors attending the services will have been Children at the time. And they are called the lucky ones. Scarred for life with such horrific memories. Yet the important thing now is that we continue to reflect on those crimes and pray that society learns from it firstly by being more tolerant of each other.
Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

@fallen-archie wrote:
What makes this anniversary most poignant is the fact that the survivors attending the services will have been Children at the time. And they are called the lucky ones. Scarred for life with such horrific memories. Yet the important thing now is that we continue to reflect on those crimes and pray that society learns from it firstly by being more tolerant of each other.

I truly do hope that we, not society as a whole but each of us as individuals, learn from history and how such horrific crimes came out of what seemed at the time such innoccuous policies.

Points 7 and 8 of Hitler's 1920 manifesto:-

7).  We demand that the State shall above all undertake to ensure that every citizen shall have the possibility of living decently and earning a livelihood. If it should not be possible to feed the whole population, then aliens (non-citizens) must be expelled from the Reich. 

8). Any further immigration of non-Germans must be prevented. We demand that all non-Germans who have entered Germany since August 2, 1914, shall be compelled to leave the Reich immediately.

and point 24:-

24).

We demand freedom for all religious faiths in the state, insofar as they do not endanger its existence or offend the moral and ethical sense of the Germanic race.

The party as such represents the point of view of a positive Christianity without binding itself to any one particular confession. It fights against the Jewish materialist spirit within and without, and is convinced that a lasting recovery of our folk can only come about from within on the pinciple:

COMMON GOOD BEFORE INDIVIDUAL GOOD

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

@merehazle wrote:

What have we learned? 

To be wary of demagogues who promise a quick fix for everything in the midst of an economic downturn by scapegoating minority groups. Some words of wisdom from Michael Rosen:

"I sometimes fear that
people think that fascism arrives in fancy dress
worn by grotesques and monsters
as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis.

Fascism arrives as your friend.
It will restore your honour,
make you feel proud,
protect your house,
give you a job,
clean up the neighbourhood,
remind you of how great you once were,
clear out the venal and the corrupt,
remove anything you feel is unlike you...

It doesn't walk in saying,
"Our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

Not meaning to come across as uncaring and cold-hearted, but Hitler's attempt to single-handedly  destroy the Jews is very old hat.  It has been rammed down everybody's throats morning, noon and night by the media, conveniently forgetting that three times that number of Russians also perished.  People don't makes such a big thing about that.  There are terrible atrocities in every war and many quite learned people genuinely assumed him to be the Anti-Christ.  If he wasn't, he was near as damn it a very close match.  

You ask what was God doing during all ths time?  Answer: absolutely nothing, because God has given us something worth more than all the money in the world - He has given us a free mind to conduct our lives as we so wish.  If we wish to carry out acts of pure evil which we, as rational thinking humans know is evil, and are prepared to face the consequences in an afterlife when Our Saviour will come in judgement - and it will come, He will not intervene.  We are not robots who can be made to faithfully go to church every Sunday.  I feel sorry for God - He takes the blame for all the wars, all the starvation, all the tsunamis et al.  Let's not bog ourselves with what God hasn't done.  Let's instead concentrate on what he has given us.  I thank Him from the bottom of my sinful heart for the life He's given me.  I'm a diabetic type II.  Through the life I lead - not His.

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

I hope it taught us that you always stick up for the underdog as he started first with gypsies and other minorities.

And it should never be forgotten as it is the worst example of inhumanity and never to be repeated, I live in hope.

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

@5129frederick wrote:

Not meaning to come across as uncaring and cold-hearted, but Hitler's attempt to single-handedly  destroy the Jews is very old hat.  It has been rammed down everybody's throats morning, noon and night by the media, conveniently forgetting that three times that number of Russians also perished.  People don't makes such a big thing about that.  There are terrible atrocities in every war and many quite learned people genuinely assumed him to be the Anti-Christ.  If he wasn't, he was near as damn it a very close match.  

You ask what was God doing during all ths time?  Answer: absolutely nothing, because God has given us something worth more than all the money in the world - He has given us a free mind to conduct our lives as we so wish.  If we wish to carry out acts of pure evil which we, as rational thinking humans know is evil, and are prepared to face the consequences in an afterlife when Our Saviour will come in judgement - and it will come, He will not intervene.  We are not robots who can be made to faithfully go to church every Sunday.  I feel sorry for God - He takes the blame for all the wars, all the starvation, all the tsunamis et al.  Let's not bog ourselves with what God hasn't done.  Let's instead concentrate on what he has given us.  I thank Him from the bottom of my sinful heart for the life He's given me.  I'm a diabetic type II.  Through the life I lead - not His.

Not meaning?  Well of course you come across by what you say. Thank you. That's your opinion.

I suppose civilization is a thin veneer, and that it can be easily punctured by propaganda, vilification and dehumanisation. We would all like to believe that nothing could persuade us to sink to that level, but history suggests otherwise.

I don't think anyones ''conveniently'' (CONVENIENTLY?) forgetting the Russians.  Most would know without them we might well have lost the war. And I have seen them praised many, many times since. (at least 60 million lives lost, wasn't it? And causeing Hitler to fight on two fronts wasn't it? ).  Remember a total of 39 nationalities - Russians, Ukrainians, Belarusians, Americans Ossetians and Georgians, and many others, who shoulder to shoulder participated in liberation of concentration camp prisoners camp. Most are willing to praise ALL this anytime.

Sad that you think it's 'VERY old hat. And that it has been rammed down everybody's throat morning noon and night.'

Are you sure? Well I haven't noticed that. Oh yes God has given us a free mind?  Really?! Not a little adjustment here and there then?

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

You have some very valid points, Hazle.  If it was 60,000,000, I stand corrected.  I understood it to be 20,000,000.  But even at 20,000,000 the figure is so high, it is almost incomprehensible to most people's minds - it represents getting on for 40% of the population of the UK.  It is so high, unless you have had the tragedy of actually losing a direct descendant at one of those places, it is just a number.

With regards to it being old hat, archive films showing those who actually survived Auschwitz and the atrocities which were carried out with all the bodies piled high had a profound effect on me, as indeed it would most people BUT, and here I stress my point. many people have seen footage of the terrible goings on at Auschwitz  and Belsen several times over the years.   We all know what happened in those and other camps, so the shock factor lessens to a small degree every time the documentary is shown on television.  Unless I am wrong, there have been rather less documentaries on losses on the Russian side.  I'm not made of stone, but if you mention the words Auschwitz and documentary, your body and mind automatically steel themselves for what is to come.

Finally on the God side, Auschwitz is thrown up in my face every time I give a personal testimony or preach the Gospel.  In short, I don't know why God never heard the cries of the dying in Auschwitz or any other camp for that matter.  Any more than why didn't God hear the cries of those in bondage and slavery before sending Moses to set His people free.  I don't know these answers, because I am not a scolar or theologan.  I am just plain cold Fred who cried out to the Lord when he was right at the edge of a nervous breakdown in  2003, and God heard his personal cry for help and has been with him 24/365 ever since.  I am not an evangelist I couldn't preach to thousands of people like Billy Graham which is what got me down, until somebody put me wise: "God doesn't want you as a preacher - He just wants you as yourself."  (Here endeth  the second lesson).  Smiley Wink 

Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

A very harrowing, but an exceptionally good read. Written by the stepdaughter (Eva Schloss) of Otto Frank, the father of Anne Frank. She was a Holocaust survivor, although her father and brother sadly did not escape the Natzi ordeal. She and her mother were freed in 1945 by Russian troops. Even now at the grand old age of 85, she still goes around the schools up and down the country, talking about her experiences.

Mister EMB

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

Thank you.  I'll read it some time.  A work colleague gave her daughter a copy of The Diary of Anne Frank who told me she actually cried when she read it.  She was about fourteen at the time and she told her mother what affected her so profoundly was man's inhumanity to man.  She'd be in her thirties by now.  Being roughly the same age as Anne, she was able to associate more easily than others her emotions as she read her diary.  She - my colleague's daughter  came over as a sincere, sensitive girl.

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

I have read that book book EMB I would definitely recommend it.

Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

I've read the book too.  But it didn't strike me as very convincing.  Not as a genuine diary.  More like something cooked-up for publication after the war. 

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

@malacandran wrote:

I've read the book too.  But it didn't strike me as very convincing.  Not as a genuine diary.  More like something cooked-up for publication after the war. 

Do you really think the diary is a fake!

Anne_Frank_Diary_at_Anne_Frank_Museum_in_Berlin-pages-92-93.jpg

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

Apologies - thought you were responding to 5129frederick Smiley Embarassed

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

Does anyone, seriously, actually write a diary -  with photographs pasted into it?

Gerroff!.  It's obviously an artefact.

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

In an effort to put these rumors to rest, the documents were analyzed for handwriting, glue and binding methods, and the types of ink and paper. Nothing was found that would even remotely point to the diary being a fake.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/51367/10-things-know-about-anne-franks-diary-young-girl