How much sleep do you get a day?

I sleep for 4 hours at night and get a 20 minute power nap during the day.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

About 4 hours on a good night.  Sometimes I doze off after tea for 10 mins or so, but not always. I've always been an insomniac.  The worst part is the boredom - all the hours when you can't do much because you may wake the family.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Not enough though I am sure I sleep for around 7 / 8 hours and still wake up feeling tired Smiley Frustrated

When people see some things as good,
other things become bad.
Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Shhhhh .......

dognap.jpg

dog-cat_nap.jpg

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

5/6 hrs, any longer I start having horrible Nightmares

One night a week, usually on a Friday I have maybe 8 hrs

I can have Cat Naps, at will

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

About 8 to 9 hours. I hardly ever go to sleep before 4 in the morning. I go to bed about 2 and then read for a while, otherwise I can't switch off. I've always needed quite a bit of sleep. But today I only had 5 hours. That happens so now and then as well.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Do you feel that is enough for you?

Due to  2 traumatic events within a month of each other, a few years ago.  i suddenly could not sleep...went from 8 hours a night to about 3 if i were lucky.

Had 6 months plus of sleep counselling/therapy  and now i am back  to 7 or  8 every night.

I have suggestions to help if anyone is interested.

I was told that anything less than 6 hours you may as well not bother 😞

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

For me 8 hours is enough in general, but I have days that 10 hours still feel like 5, but also 5 can feel like 10. In my case I don't think I can be sure. Smiley Frustrated

I think that the opinions about how much sleep we need are quite divided.

I feel that if you feel rested and fresh after you have slept, then that is enough for that individual on that day.

Trauma and anxiety of any sort can influence your sleep. You will also dream more intense.

I'm sure there will be people interested in any techniques you could offer. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Ok thanks.

Firstly, if you have trouble sleeping the first thing to do is remove any clock from the room.   The natural thing to do is to keep checking the time.   This fuels anxiety and the inability to sleep.   For me this did help a lot.  Say you have to get up for work....put your phone on the landing so you will still hear any alarm. Just needs to be out of sight.

Basically you have to train your brain that bed is  for sleeping.   (i know i know lol)

If you cannot get to sleep after 30 minutes.....get up. Pull the bed straight.  

Go downstairs into the lounge or wherever .  Maybe read a book for 30 mins and then return to bed.    Try to get to sleep for another 30 mins and repeat process  a few times if necessary.  (This was the hardest part to do)

I was also told not to have a tv in the bedroom as there should be no distractions. Bed is for sleeping not for watching tv.

The first two things did actually work for me.   Even now i do not agree with not having a tv in the bedroom because this helps me relax and eventually go to sleep but i can see the theory behind not having a tv in the bedroom.

Cut right  down on caffeine......drink water as a substitute.  (i did drink far too much coffee)

I was very sceptical but it did work for me over a few months period 🙂

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no telly in my bedroom, but I do like to fall asleep while watching something. It helps as my brain is switched off from my own issues or just day to day stuff. I rarely do it though, but when it happens it seems like the best sleep ever.

I do drink a lot of coffee, but very weak, and have done for the last 40 years, so I'm not sure if it would make much difference in my case. Worth a try though.

The alarm clock is on my hubbies side so I can hardly see it, which I think is a good thing. As you say watching the clock can make matters worse.

In my case I think the reading helps. I read mainly fantasy books so that helps as it is removed from reality. There are no triggers to start me thinking of real life again. Unless my dragon has broken down the shed again. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent