Hoo-flippin-ray

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37178470

I'm heartily sick of intrusive advertising. I accept that sites have to make some money by placing adverts but for me sites that ram adverts in your face are a nuisance and all they make me do is to go elsewhere.

The pop-ups are annoying and on some sites, as soon as you hit the site there's some sort of pop-up asking what you think of the site (ZAP, I've gone).

Some sites have the cheek to pop up "We notice you're using and ad-blocker...... etc, etc, etc"

If the adverts were not so intrusive, were factual and even interesting, people might actually look at them. A long time ago I read somewhere that most advertising was a waste of money because the targets ignored them (anyone know the current estimated percentage?).

The old answer to criticism that most people ignored the adverts used to be "They wouldn't do it if it didn't work". Well, does advertising work for you? That is, if you're a business does it bring custom and if you're a "viewer/customer" does it attract you?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Hoo-flippin-ray

Nope.
Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Hoo-flippin-ray

No, I don't take any notice of it, it just gets deleted. Put in the bin etc.

Dont get your knickers in a twist, why let it get to you, just chill out. If people want to waste their money let them.

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Hoo-flippin-ray

I have very occasionally seen an ad that has interested me.  But mostly I ignore.  Some of the ads on the telly are so purile I wouldn't buy the item even if i wanted it.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Hoo-flippin-ray

I find it a bit of a difficult one.

On the one hand, I enjoy the internet and all the varied sites available on it. I'm not in a wonderful state financially, so I appreciate all the stuff available "free."

Yet, I block ads.

There are various reasons for this.

1. I loathe them. They annoy me. I resent the assumption that I will fall for their rubbish as much as the fact that I might in fact do so. They're cleverer than me, after all.

2. When I discovered computers, advertisements annoyed me. They were unattractive and intrusive. They took up space. Those that flickered or expanded on mouse-over or which did all sorts of other annoying things spoiled my browsing, and tempted me to abandon the activity altogether.

3. I soon discovered that the wretched things were probably being used to allow advertisers and "their trusted partners" to track my internet activity and to build a "profile" about me to be shared among them. Yech.

4. It didn't take too long to find out about prohibiting third party cookies. It took a lot longer for me to find out about flash cookies and even worse horrors (just look up "evercookie.")

The advertisers lost my respect with their intrusive and irritating offerings.

They lost my trust when I found out about their privacy-threatening behaviour (tracking and profiling. I couldn't care less if it's harmless. I find it seriously creepy.)

The icing on the cake came with the discovery that advertisements can be subverted to deliver malware (just look up "malvertising.") Ad-blocking is now, arguably, an essential element of one's online security.

I wish I knew the answer. I (reluctantly) put up with static ads on sites I like. I want the sites to survive and thrive. As long as the ads involve no interactive elements beyond taking me to their masters if I click on them (as if...), I think I would endure them down the side of the page, in order to support a worthwhile site.

Distrowatch is thus allowed its ads. Until one flickers, or something. Likewise, the local online rag. The first sign of a flicker or tendency to expand or flip between pages, and an ad is toast.

Whether the things repay what they cost, I've no idea - but ads have been around for a long time. I sometimes wonder whether the true suckers aren't the marketing types. They spend a fortune on shoving rubbish at people, but it would be interesting to know whether the returns justify this.

Not that they would ever tell, of course.

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Hoo-flippin-ray

***WOW*** OE, that was a rant and a half? All true though.

Another annoying thing is that as soon as some sites open, you get a message right in the middle of the page asking you what you think of their site. Now how the heck can you tell them what you think of their site if you've not had chance to look at it?

The BBC sometimes does that.

Another irritation is that on some news sites, as soon as the site opens a huge box opens in the middle of the page "Subscribe to our newsletter". Irritating?

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Hoo-flippin-ray

how else are they going to get feedback though, if they're relying on people's input.  Tis a bit like eBay now noone wants to take the time anymore to leave it. Feedback back now on here has no meaning or use anymore because people don't bother. Xx

such anger,prejudice and hypocrisy on a simple forum supposed to be free for all. I wish you all you all wish for xx good bye

Hoo-flippin-ray

Ooh coloured text, I always forget about it on here.

Some of the ads are so annoying they put me off products, that's if I can watch them long enough to see what they're advertising.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Hoo-flippin-ray

One example is the Haribot ads, where a group of adults talk in the manner of young children.

The only thing that makes me want to do is throw something through the TV.

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Hoo-flippin-ray

Ha-ha, yes Margie, that is one irritating advert but going back to adverts on web pages, I know they want some comment about what viewers think of the site but how on Earth can a viewer make any comment when they've been given no time to view the page before the question is asked with a big splodge appearing in the middle of the page?

Another irritating thing is where a video starts as soon as the page loads. Sometimes the video is slow loading and you've started reading the text and suddenly the video starts up. Sometimes although you've scrolled down to read the text, the sudden start of the video makes the page scroll back up again.

More video irritation is where there's a video of something connected with the site but after you've clicked to view it and before what you want to see starts, there's a stupid advert.......!!!!! They wonder why some people use ad-blockers?

The latest :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37184651

Live long and prosper.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Hoo-flippin-ray

I've never used an ad blocker and to be honest I don't really have any problems other than on the MSN homepage which opens automatically when I log out of Hotmail.

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent