Half an hour!!!

Its taken me nearly half an hour to get here this morning, like most other people I'm being battered by strong winds and rain.

This happens every time the weather turns nasty, strong winds or heavy rain and everything slows down or stops completely.

I've had some "Server not found" messages and even when it is found the little wheel goes round and round forever before the next page loads.

I thought all the computer connections were done by satellite or microwaves in underground cables these days and were weather-proof.  

So why does the weather upset everything.  Does the wind blow the signals off course or water get into the cables?  Could it just be that when it's horrible outside more folks are staying in and using their machines?

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Half an hour!!!

Where are you, it hasn't reached here, the NE  yet, on the way according to WF.

No problem getting on here but another board was down.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

Mates have been stuck, not moving for over two hours on M80

Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

Ramsgate, on the SE coast near Dover.  As east Kent sticks out into the bottleneck between the Channel and the North Sea we get the winds fom the north or west sweeping in over the sea and we're the first land they hit.  Our weather can be more like Northern France than the rest of England..

Nice when we get a continental high in the summer.  B--- A--- when it's a low in winter.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

Dreadful this Storm for sure. Much worse at the back of my home as it is not protected. The fences are rattling away a lot. 

I notice when the weather is bad my TV goes on and off. Fortunately nothing happens to my computer connection. 

Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

Same here, a few sites I use are down this morning.

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

Mines still slow, but better than earlier, had a shock when it came up as me having no Followed Searches.  I think that was ebay as it changed its mind when I went back a step and tried again.

Still curious as to why the weather affects my computer, surely in this day and age we are beyond that?

How does business put up with it if it is widespread?

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

I've found this all rather bizarre. Every time I watch the news and weather there's a storm blowing and heavy snow where I live - Ayrshire. I look out of the window and there's no snow and little more than a stiff breeze that lasted no more than a couple of hours late morning. It's as calm as a summers day now and not even been that cold Man Surprised

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

You can always tell when the weather is really bad here, we end up with at least 6 trampolines in the back garden.Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

aand, there was snow in some places in Ayrshire when I left home at 0600 to go to work in Glasgow.

Al, I heard that on the radio this morning about the M80 and that is why I went up the Bearsden to Kilsyth road to get north.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

Half an hour!!!

Hi, DC

My mates were stuck on M80 for over 4hrs

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent