Grr doesn't it make ya mad

Woman Frustrated when someone snipes your item you think you have won!! So annoying

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Not really It's been like that forever and a day. Be patient another one will come along and you might get it for half the price.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

I guess with me being a relative newbie it's something that I just have to "suck it up"
Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will always snipe. I have a figure in mind that I'm willing to pay and put that on in the last seconds. I can still be outbid if someone puts a higher price on and I would have no chance to put a new bid in.

Sometimes I win, sometimes I loose, but I will stick to the price I have in mind and not get involved in a bidding war, putting the price up a few pennies at the time.

I haven't got the patience for it. If I think that something is worth a tenner to me, then that is what I put on, or £100 if it's worth that to me. Tough luck if someone puts a different value on it than me.

So I suggest you keep your eye on the clock and have a steady finger. Don't cry if someone is willing to pay more than you.

Do not go crazy. There will be more opportunities to win nice items. Be realistic with your bid. Don't think you can get a Lalique vase for a tenner.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

@galwajoann wrote:

Woman Frustrated when someone snipes your item you think you have won!! So annoying

It is annoying, and very sneaky. It shows that some people don't care about fair play.  They just want to win.  Or rather - I suspect they get pleasure from "sniping" - not necessarily because it wins the item -  but because they think they've "put one over" the other bidders.  Like "Up yours suckers - I outsmarted you!"   This, if true,  is deplorable.

I sometimes make bids in the final few seconds - but ONLY after I've made a bid earlier in the auction - to declare my interest, so to speak.

That is, I think, the  honourable way to behave.  It lets other bidders know that there's a rival bidder around.  So they can be prepared for some last-minute action,  and there's no deceitfulness.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd think by now that buyers know there are snipers around. It's not something new. It is not a surprise. I always expect other snipers, there have often been many on auctions I bid on in the last 5 seconds and the price suddenly flies...and I won as often as I lost.

There is nothing unfair about it and in my case it's not about outsmarting other bidders. Nothing to do with it.  It's about living in hope that you get something for the price you like at the end of the day. I'm prepared to pay my top price. Some people might be less sure of themselves and get pulled in putting more on than the item is really worth to them. Not my problem.

Everyone can snipe, there is no rule against it.

If I did put in 10 bids over the period, I will still not go past the price I have in my head. I could argue that people who put 10 times silly bids in for 10 p more every time are trying to put other's off when they see how many bids something is getting at first glance, without first checking who the bidders are. I have seen that tactic more often than I can count.

If I see a nice glass vase and really like it, I determine a price for myself which I feel happy with and can afford. I'm not interested in what others are bidding as it is irrelevant to me. I bid what I bid and won't start putting more on it because someone else think it's worth £10 more than I wanted to pay in the first place. It's called control. I do not change the bid I have in mind. So if I see that someone has put a higher bid in than I was planning to snipe it for, then I don't bid anymore.

What others think it's worth is not my concern, only what I can afford and see as a fair price. I'm not putting some ridiculous high price in so I'm guaranteed the item. I can't afford that anyway, but if I put in £17 for a vase and someone else's highest bid is £15, and I win the auction, well, what can I say...It was worth £17 to me, but obviously not to the other person.  End of story.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyway...would you trust me to put only 5 bids in..................................

photo tumblr_ldjvelBdx41qawgyho1_500.gif

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

I never bid until the last few seconds...call it sniping, but I don't see anything wrong with that. Like Harry, I don't see any point in going back in and bidding it up. You see exactly the same thing at real - life auctions...a few bidders fighting it out over an item, and then, just when there is only one bidder left, someone else pops up and buys it.....that's life!
Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

When I snipe with a bid somewhat higher than the highest bid at the time but don't win and have simply pushed up the previous bidder's bid, I often wonder what they think about it. Smiley Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

.....that it is an auction and that is how it goes? or....maybe I should go and play with the nice children?

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent