For the last week I have been plagued by an advertising popup that follows all over eBay pages

Hopfully this is the correct board to post this message.

I would appreciate if anyone can explain how to get rid of an annoying advertising popup that manifests itself over eBay pages. It obscures text and images of items I am looking for oneBay.

I have attached a screen-grab of the offending ad.

I have tried Spybot, AdwCleaner and MalwareBytes to remove it but to no avail.

Many thanks,

James.

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For the last week I have been plagued by an advertising popup that follows all over eBay pages

Thanks to all who have taken time to reply, it's much appreciated.

I tried most of the adware cleaners but with no success, however I spotted one piece of advice which was to simply reset the chrome browser to 'Default'.

I did this and the problem is now resolved and apart from re-enering saved passwords on various sites I'm now up and running as I was before this adware plague.

Once again thanks to all,

James.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Have a read right through the thread here:-

http://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Computing-Advice-Technology-Chat/Pop-ups-and-other-annoyances-on-Wind...

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks for the link, and as you can read from my original post I have tried the apps mentioned in the link to remove this pest.

I should have added that realise that this adware has nothing to do with eBay and is some third party bug that has got into my PC.

I was just hoping that someone else had the same problem and had found a solution.

I've included another screen-grab to demonstrate that it can appear anywhere.

James.

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

Did you read on about Adblock plus etc?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

right click on the ad, check properties.

maybe see what company it is coming from

------------------

what browser are you using

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

I'm using the google chrome browser!

Right clicking on the ad does not give a properties option, however I can look at the page source and the ad code is embedded into the eBay source code.

Right clicking on the ad and opening 'inspect element' reveals this line of code which is embedded within the eBay source code.

<div class="img fo-close-xyz ribbonImageSmall" data-bind="style: {backgroundImage: 'url(\'' + offer.thumb + '\')'}, css: 'ribbonImage' + $parent.ribbonSize" style="background-image: url(http://i50.twenga.com/0-tp_8893548831068946078b.jpg);"></div>

Clicking on an ad reveals r.twenga.es in the browser address bar before the page is redirected to a product, so I assume this 'twenga' outfit must be hacking the browser?

James.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

Al, I thought I had sent a detailed reply but because it contained a line of code from the page source, it hasn't appeared!!

The code did contain a reference to r.twenga.es. I'm using google chrome btw.

James.

Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

Al, I've tried to reply twice with a detailed message, but I think because they contain source code and links they are auto deleted !!

James.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

There is a pop up bug associated with Twenga and chrome

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-pricegong-ads/

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

It has been paicked up from the price comparison site

some removal tips here

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r.twenga.es&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=V_2EVYDXGovuUr-eo8gK#q=...

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

Thanks to all who have taken time to reply, it's much appreciated.

I tried most of the adware cleaners but with no success, however I spotted one piece of advice which was to simply reset the chrome browser to 'Default'.

I did this and the problem is now resolved and apart from re-enering saved passwords on various sites I'm now up and running as I was before this adware plague.

Once again thanks to all,

James.

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

go into your program files on your pc and uninstall "MAGICAL FIND" if its there. I have found that when these popups appear on your screen, look for the name of the company which is promoting the ad and type it into google or in your program files, chance is that an advertisement programme will be installed onto your pc even without your consent or knowledge

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=ad+blocker.. I dont get any adds on ebay or facebook..
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent