Farage quits.............. again.

Nigel Farage has quit as leader of UKIP. He says he's "done his bit" now and he won't change his mind this time.

Will UKIP survive after he goes?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 27
See Most Recent
26 REPLIES 26

Well, whether people liked it or not, he voiced an opinion that many people; from all political persuasions, agreed with. Whether the beliefs / feelings were fact based, or even the cause of many woes; that the people believed them to be, they had them and ( as an example ) you can't force somebody to eat Brussel Sprouts or Marmite.......if they don't want to. I'm personally more pragmatic, in order to not like somebody; they have to have done something to me personally.........or continually P****d me off...........or threatened to have killed me, or my fellow countrymen / women ( as in the case of ISIS ).......in which case the talking is over and I'd kill them on sight.

Message 2 of 27
See Most Recent

...........obviously that's for the threatening to kill me bit, not just for p*****g me off. Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 27
See Most Recent

So where does UKIP go from here?

Farage says his work is done so is UKIP done for?

Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 27
See Most Recent

Well they've got one MP and he'll last until the next general election, after that.........who knows..............confined to the history books I suspect.

Message 5 of 27
See Most Recent

Hmmmmmm....Carswell. Never trust a turncoat.

Message 6 of 27
See Most Recent

Politics will be a poorer place without him. The only person with a bit of colour, fire, charisma, and personality, and to tell it like it is, shooting from the hip as he did. Farage was a brilliant orator. I for one am disappointed to see him go. However, I admire his stance in resigning, due to the fact that his unfaltering claw and fang fight from day one, is now over and done with. Well done to him on that score.

Will UKIP survive without him ?  Well Carswell has ruled himself out, and certainly not with one of the Hamilton Twins at the helm.

Footnote.

Quote Nigel Farage: "I never wanted to be a career politician".

About the only one who doesn't.

Message 7 of 27
See Most Recent

photo 76362242-205a-4fa0-b3b9-36ef82e7f733_zpshnukboao.png

We are many,They are few
Message 8 of 27
See Most Recent

Whether you like him or not, no-one can deny that he has shaken up British politics and given it the much needed shot in the arm. I for one am very grateful to him for making it possible for me to have my say on our membership of that failing organisation,the EU. Without him that would never have happened.

Message 9 of 27
See Most Recent

Why is he still an MEP for an orginisation he doesn't believe in and taking a nice wee salary then? Probably for the next 2 years The mans a hypocrite. 

Message 10 of 27
See Most Recent

The first 2 questions on the application form to get into parliament are 1. Are you a Hypocrite  2.  Have you ever opened your mouth, before engaging your brain.  If you can't answer yes to both of those, you'll NEVER get in. I gather the Vatican have started using the same application form..........nothing's sacred any more I'm afraid......just a big dose of reality.

Message 11 of 27
See Most Recent

Maybe......but he's a canny hypocrite! He's our mole on the inside!

Message 12 of 27
See Most Recent

@artful_dodgings wrote:

The only person with a bit of colour, fire, charisma, and personality, and to tell it like it is, shooting from the hip as he did. Farage was a brilliant orator.

The only politician I've ever seen, who actually gives straight answers to questions.  The rest of them leave you wishing you'd never asked.
..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 13 of 27
See Most Recent

Why not.  Because he's there doesn't mean he agrees with what they do.  All MPs earn their salary by disagreeing with other MPs, and arguing for what they believe is right.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 14 of 27
See Most Recent

So the three main culprits for the absolute Mess, we're in have all quit

Cameron, who made a mess of calling the referendum in the first place and not setting the parameters of what was needed to have a sustainable and agreed majority Vote

Boris who  went against His own beliefs and moved to Brexit side for His own Political 'advancement' (He thought)

and the worm Farage, the racist who kicked the whole thing off years ago, the eponymous Arthur Daley coat wearing little Englander, The Fag smoking, Pint swilling Representative of the Little Common Man (Even though he was a spivy Merchant Banker)

The trio that sent the Country into a tailspin, are donning parachutes and waving goodbye as they jump

Message 15 of 27
See Most Recent

Yup and i feel it could possibly get worse. Article 50 will most probably never be ratified,it will get beat in parliament. We'll then need a general election which will result in a hung parliament and almost certainly Scotland will start process for 2nd indy ref.

A right old mess they've left the country in, this FUK(Former United Kingdom)>

Message 16 of 27
See Most Recent

If your prophecies come to pass, that would mean that Democracy in this country is dead, and no longer applies. Is that something that you would support then?

Message 17 of 27
See Most Recent

Al....what do you mean by 'setting the parameters of what was needed to have a sustainable and agreed majority vote?' . I am supposing you mean setting a minimum percentage difference between winning and losing votes.  The parameters were set. The MAJORITY wins. And you would not be complaining if the majority had voted 'remain'.

And what is wrong with the little common man?  That is a very unfortunate description....it smacks of derision. Reminds me of that MP, Emily Thornberry, who poured scorn on the man who had a white van and a Union Jack outside his home.Most of us ordinary folk would identify with that description...and we needed someone to stand up for us. And along came Nigel. I am sorry he is stepping down, but he deserves his retirement. 

Message 18 of 27
See Most Recent

You're right to pick up on "parameters".

Where would it end?

Picking on a hypothetical example, let's say the parameter was set that there had to be more than 52% to "win". The vote ended at exactly 52% plus one vote. One side would say that "We've won", the other side would be saying "Ah, but the parameter was more than 52% and you didn't get it".

It's a bit like the Proportional Representation" argument. Losers want to change the rules in their favour.

Live long and prosper.

Message 19 of 27
See Most Recent

You obviously don't understand how it works. First they have to repeal the 1972 ECA.Then UK parliament need to ratify the referendum along with the House of Lords and House of Commons. It matters not what the vote said. When all the lords and gentry /establishment and money men see how their back balances are going to be effected-that's what will make the decision.

Westminster have overall autonomy and will decide whether to go with the vote or block it. If they block it, a general election is certain.A hung parliament is almost certain the likely outcome of that.

It's certainaly not over, not by a long shot.The vote was just the start of the bitter constitutional conundrums within the FUK(Former United Kingdom). What happens with Scotland and Nothern Ireland will be crucial of whether you have a UK in the future!  

Welcome to democracy!

Message 20 of 27
See Most Recent