Dont get conned

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3261243/Top-brand-painkillers-waste-money-Cheaper-labels-cos... ..Top brand painkillers 'are a waste of money': Cheaper labels that can cost only 2p a tablet are just as effective, say doctors Branded paracetamol cost 9p compared to just 2p for own-label alternative Branded products cost more because of huge cost of developing drug Shoppers spend over £544million annually for pain relief medication Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3261243/Top-brand-painkillers-waste-money-Cheaper-labels-cos...
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

Dont get conned

I can pay £15 for suncream or go to a £1 shop and get the same for £1. Over here they sell you the dearest ,,if you dont ask for the cheapest Tablets..
......................................................................................................................................................................................................... .................Im a 76 year old Nutcase.. TOMMY LOVES YOU ALL. .. I'm a committed atheist.
Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

That's all very well but cheap stuff is not always like-for-like.

OK, so the active ingredient and the amount is probably the same but the bulking agents and fillers could be something quite different in a generic product.

A friend had been taking a prescription medication for some time when a repeat prescription turned out to be a generic product. It nearly killed her!

What had happened was that the generic product used Wheat flour as one of the bulking agents. She's allergic to Wheat!

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

If you take analgesic, take with coffee and it makes them 'super'.

Have a look at the packets, the so called super pain killers have caffeine in them.

Red Bull works too.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

I suffer from a rare neurological condition that does not respond to painkillers - not even morphine. What is required is a vasoconstricter. I belong to a help group and it's well known amongs us that the combination of caffiene and taurine in redbull (or other energy drinks)will constrict the arteries to a small degree, thus giving us some relief. Very handy when we've run out of our injections. And as it's a neurological condition it's understandable that it would work for headaches too, which are often caused by dilated arteries.

I have always used tesco or asda  headache tablets at about 48p for 16. They have exactly the same ingredients as Anadin extra. I also use asda's own antacid as it's the same as gaviscon, but about a quarter of the price.

I can understand the problem if someone has allergies though.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

My doctor changed my painkillers to a cheaper brand . 2 months ago all the chemist in my area had no stock problem with the suppliers. I had to go back to my doctors for a new prescription I got my original brand painkillers. Next repeat prescription was for the cheaper brand I was told to ring around chemist to see if anyone had them. I insisted my doctor change me back to my original brand. She refused at first saying my brand cost the nhs £13.00 the cheaper brand was £6.50. I told her I pay for my prescriptions  and was not going to ring around chemist to see if they had stock. 

Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

The last time I went to the doctors they told me the practice pays for everything they prescribe including any out patient sends ...got me wondering why we still pay NI to the gov if they dont use it .  anyhow I prescribed anti depressants ,migrain tablets and a week off ,...she was terribly grateful  😄

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

@lucylou222013 wrote:

My doctor changed my painkillers to a cheaper brand . 2 months ago all the chemist in my area had no stock problem with the suppliers. I had to go back to my doctors for a new prescription I got my original brand painkillers. Next repeat prescription was for the cheaper brand I was told to ring around chemist to see if anyone had them. I insisted my doctor change me back to my original brand. She refused at first saying my brand cost the nhs £13.00 the cheaper brand was £6.50. I told her I pay for my prescriptions  and was not going to ring around chemist to see if they had stock. 

... I though all prescriptions were Free now..??
Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

@tommy.irene wrote:

@lucylou222013 wrote:

... I though all prescriptions were Free now..??

You have to be joking!  £8.20 per item

Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

I think they're free in Scotland but not to everyone in England.

Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

It depends upon your age and income.

Spoiler

@marg*e wrote:

I think they're free in Scotland but not to everyone in England.

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Dont get conned

They are free in Northern Ireland.and Wales..
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent