Do you think this is funny?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/car-sticker-sold-ebay-suggesting-5815825

or this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110671266638

If so, then you have been fooled by the disability hate propaganda that has been washing around the mass media for the past few years.

The sight of these items being sold on the popular auction site has incensed campaigners for the disabled and disability rights. They have complained bitterly to eBay, calling for the removal of the offending items.

The sticker listing has been ended early. The t-shirts seem to be selling well… There’s a lot of ignorant and nasty people out there

We are many,They are few
Message 1 of 20
See Most Recent
19 REPLIES 19

eBay needs to trade it is it's life blood but if you really want to do business why not sell AK47 rifles? the reason they don't is clear, but if you can ban some things you can ban others level playng field comes to mind.

The second is less straightforward. As a nation we have a social conscience and we help those in need quite rightly. Watch a programme like saints and scroungers and you see that the system is being abused and until that stops many genuinely needy people will be looked on as cheats.

Message 2 of 20
See Most Recent

No, not funny.  Offensive.

But then ebay allows the sale of hundreds of offensive items, so I don't expect them to ban the sale of these two.

I guess as a selling platform they don't care what is advertised and pictured.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 3 of 20
See Most Recent

I think you are close but the problem is it's easier to police a chat room than it is a market stall, eBay need to be more careful however others like alibaba openly sell goods which are not as genuine as one might expect. I suppose they deal in replicas! Well I've looked and it's a load of old Troep
Message 4 of 20
See Most Recent

No,not at all funny.

Message 5 of 20
See Most Recent

Not even mildly amusing. I don't know about encouraging hate crime, to me it just promotes bad taste.

Message 6 of 20
See Most Recent

Trying to work out how a sticker that suggests that someone who pretends to be disabled is lazy can be offensive???

Message 7 of 20
See Most Recent

I have come to the conclusion you live in a broom cupboard as calling someone lazy is something that needs evidence,putting a wheelchair in it and saying the person is just lazy is not only offensive to someone wheelchair bound but also downright dangerous to wheelchair users ,with a constant social acceptance issue anyway now they may well have haters who want them to get up to prove they are pretending...annnd yes it happens in this country ,bullying is a national past time here and officially giving bullies targets is a TV gov sponsership past time now a days...its very unfunny and its very offensive to any half decent person who gives a monkies about others.

Message 8 of 20
See Most Recent

No. It's just plain nasty.

Message 9 of 20
See Most Recent

@joamur_gosof wrote:

I have come to the conclusion you live in a broom cupboard as calling someone lazy is something that needs evidence,putting a wheelchair in it and saying the person is just lazy is not only offensive to someone wheelchair bound but also downright dangerous to wheelchair users ,with a constant social acceptance issue anyway now they may well have haters who want them to get up to prove they are pretending...annnd yes it happens in this country ,bullying is a national past time here and officially giving bullies targets is a TV gov sponsership past time now a days...its very unfunny and its very offensive to any half decent person who gives a monkies about others.

There are far too many people who look at something and 'read' it in the way they want to - NOT how it's actually written.

Far from living in a broom cupboard I take the time to examine something rather than jumping to conclusions.

Go back and read what the sticker actually says!

Message 10 of 20
See Most Recent

I went back and looked at the sticker again, My reading of it is that it is primarily aimed at those who abuse the Blue Disabled scheme by making false statements about themselves or using a legitimate card belonging to another but simply to take a space reserved for those who have genuine issues. Having said that I can understand that on face value it could be perceived as distasteful and I would agree if ndeed that was the intent But was it?

Message 11 of 20
See Most Recent

I'm glad someone else read it like that Smiley Happy

What about this pic - is this labelling the disabled as lazy or getting at those inconsiderate people who use disabled facilities they are not entitled to - I read it as the latter

lazy.jpg

Message 12 of 20
See Most Recent

Absolutely bang on, a slight change and a negative becomes a positive. We are becoming too touchy and too quick at perceiving things in a negative light. 

Message 13 of 20
See Most Recent

You have to wonder what type of person would have such a sticker on their car?  whether we like it or not it is conflating disabled people with laziness,over the past few years the disabled & the unemployed have been demonised and scapegoated for all the ills of society,especially the economic ones,but it's only a sticker isn't it?

We are many,They are few
Message 14 of 20
See Most Recent

I think it could be taken either way, if permanently fixed to a vehicle. 

Perhaps they should issue them to traffic/parking wardens just to slap on the windscreen of those many selfish able-bodied people who think they are important and exempt from avoiding disabled parking spaces and who have parked in them.  You see them everywhere  Smiley Mad

Message 15 of 20
See Most Recent

No ambiguity with creeky's picture, IMO. 

Message 16 of 20
See Most Recent

@suzieseaside wrote:

Indeed.

The problem with the sticker is the capitalised 'J' on Just, it  suggests Not really disabled. Just lazy.

A lower case 'j' would read 'Not really just lazy'

annnd that is it absoloute bank ,thank you for being the only other actual human being on this forum up to now without bias

Message 18 of 20
See Most Recent

@bankhaunter wrote:

@suzieseaside wrote:

Indeed.

The problem with the sticker is the capitalised 'J' on Just, it  suggests Not really disabled. Just lazy.

A lower case 'j' would read 'Not really just lazy'

I don't see why that is a problem - ???

Remove the picture of the wheelchair and leave the statement underlined - to paraphrase it's saying, "I'm not disabled, I'm just lazy" - What is the problem with that?

The only time it could be read as "offensive" surely would be if the car was also displaying a 'Blue Badge'.

Message 19 of 20
See Most Recent

I dont think its funny , and I would never wear a sticker for anything , (that I can think of )

stickers with smart comments and a bit like flags in my book , they hide an underlying problem , eg they are used to "hide "behind .

Saying that we do need a debate in this country on our poor health as a nation , and quite why some sections are treated so generously as opposed to them that must do a job .

personally the main reason I pay tax is so that a safety net can be provided for those that fall through it .

but paying that tax , involves discipline in getting out of bed etc .

I do believe from my perosnal experince of "disabled" people , that the one I know personally are treated too generously 

I know 2 men in their 50s with a history of mental health problems , they get approx £400 a week every week after tax  (incl rent ) 

and they themselves give every penny to their heroin addict "freinds "

Another is "obese " hasnt worked for 30 years , yet glides through supermarket aisles , and carries , bucketloads of ice cream up stairs .

a fourth was never able to work in 36 years ,through intermiittent illness ? yet manages to teach Karate in the evening (voluntary )

my point is , if in an ordinary street an ordinary person can bump into , 4 lifestyle claimants , how many are there in the whole country .

I been 12 years on ebay and had 1000's of sales and I trust people more than ever now
Message 20 of 20
See Most Recent