Do you remember

The BBC children’s series tales of the riverbank? Because believe it or not it’s subject matter the iconic watervole has become the latest to decline in numbers and is now officially the fastest declining mammal in the uk. I know when I first saw the water vole I thought it was a rat and yet they are actually nothing like a rat, as a mammal they are an iconic species once commonplace throughout our waterways and streams and yet like so much in this country their decline has been shocking, if you would like to learn more about the water vole there is a site here:-http://watervole.org.uk/clarion-call-from-water-vole-kin-new-homes-caring-neighbourhoods/ which highlights the decline and what we can do about it, see what you can do to help us save Roddy and his mates😀
Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

Do you remember

Unfortunately the large population of mink over the country as a result of escapees from fur farms and those deliberately released by animal rights activists, will probably spell the demise of the water vole.

When otter hunting was banned so packs turned to mink hunting, they used to hunt on the river I fish though I can't say the dogs seemed to take it very seriously, they looked more as though they were just out for an afternoon's romp in the river.  That of course, is now a thing of the past.

The last time I saw any sign of water voles was several years ago at a Welsh lake, didn't actually see the animals but could see the ripples coming out from under the bankside herbiage as they went about their activities.

I've also seen stoats in the same part of the lakeside. Smiley Sad

Do you remember

Was there really any "escapees from fur farms"? I remember one attack by the sabs led to the release of 6.000 mink.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Do you remember

In answer to your question yes there were some escapes from fur farms although not great in numbers they did periodically escape. We had a neighbor who farmed mink and he freely admitted that he had lost a number, however nothing like the amount deliberately released into the wild by hunt sabs/ AR activists, who not only demonstrate a sympathy for animals but are also responsible for horrendous losses of native species due to their inconsolable desire to love animals! It just goes to show how misguided they can be!
Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent