Death of the tax disc.

Man SurprisedWoman Surprised

Was supposed to save £7 million in administration costs.  What about the bigger picture? I think that £7 million will prove in time, to be a drop in the ocean to what we will lose. 

It was one of the most eye-catching measures designed to prove the government is working to cut costs and make it easier for the ordinary people. I have news for them some aren't ordinary, and some don't have computers.

Some might say: ''I'm going to miss the thrill of driving without a tax disc''.  My dad thought it was thrilling to drive with the Guinness label.

I bet Tommy, did. Whilst drinking a can of Guinness too Man Wink

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Death of the tax disc.

I think the Tax Disc should be retained.

It's OK saying that ANPR will quickly detect a vehicle with no Tax but the vehicle has to be "spotted" by an ANPR camera first.

The ordinary man (or woman) in the street will have no idea whether a vehicle is taxed or not so no-one will know if someone down your road is dodging paying the Road Tax.  (Well it used to be the Road Fund Licence but the tax doesn't "fund the roads" thse days does it?)

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

Death of the tax disc.

@cee-dee wrote:

I think the Tax Disc should be retained.

It's OK saying that ANPR will quickly detect a vehicle with no Tax but the vehicle has to be "spotted" by an ANPR camera first.

The ordinary man (or woman) in the street will have no idea whether a vehicle is taxed or not so no-one will know if someone down your road is dodging paying the Road Tax.  (Well it used to be the Road Fund Licence but the tax doesn't "fund the roads" thse days does it?)

If you're that interested in whether or not a vehicle is taxed it is dead easy to do so - you can even check if a vehicle has an MOT.

https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

Death of the tax disc.

Mere - you don't need a computer to renew your 'tax disc' - you can renew exactly the same as you have always been able to - at the Post Office or by telephone.

The government now gain extra revenue, estimated to be around 25 million, because road tax can't be transferred to new owners.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Death of the tax disc.

I wouldn’t care if someone down the road is avoiding road tax - that’s up to them if they want to take the risk, and I wouldn’t ever report anyone.

That website, creeky, will keep a lot of curtain twitchers busy with a new hobby! Smiley LOL

I read about the extra revenue, with the month’s overlapping tax payments when buying a second hand car, although it’s not a great loss to an individual buyer.

I know that you will have to tax a ‘new’ secondhand car back to the beginning of the month in which you bought it, but wonder what your status is when you buy a second hand car and have to drive it away before you can apply for your tax. I presume you must get some leeway regarding the legality of the vehicle on the road before you are able to tax it because you will be backpaying anyway ? Or not?

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Death of the tax disc.

I'm going to miss those little perforations Smiley Very Happy 

It was sometimes a challenge to remove the tax disc without tearing a little nick out of it! And somehow quite satisfying putting a new one on the windscreen.  Little things ! Smiley LOL

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

Death of the tax disc.

I've put three of my previous vehicle registrations into that link and my current car and it can't find details for any of them. Smiley Frustrated 

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

Death of the tax disc.

@jd.linklater wrote:

I've put three of my previous vehicle registrations into that link and my current car and it can't find details for any of them. Smiley Frustrated 

Hi jd. Sorry, about the delay in replying.  Here is a telephone number 0300 790 6802 to contact the DVLA. Hours are 8AM to PM week days.

There's nothing like actually talking to someone on these matters.   Good luck!

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

Death of the tax disc.

8AM to 7PM Man Wink

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

Death of the tax disc.

@suzieseaside wrote:

I'm going to miss those little perforations Smiley Very Happy 

It was sometimes a challenge to remove the tax disc without tearing a little nick out of it! And somehow quite satisfying putting a new one on the windscreen.  Little things ! Smiley LOL

Yes, it took some skill to carefully ease the tax-disc out in its pristine form. Without spoiling its perforated symmetry.

But if one could do this successfully  - then apply it to the windscreen, for proud display - how satisfying that was!

One basked in the pleasure of up-dated motorcar legality.  Full compliance with the law, shown for all to see.

Didn't many of us who put the new tax-disc on our cars, enjoy looking at it, for some days afterwards?

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent