China's annual DOG meat festival....

...where  tens of thousands of dogs are killed. 

Thousands of dogs are being shipped in an slaughtered by dog traders at the notorious Yulin meat festival Guangi Autonomous Region to mark China's summer solstice. Harrowing pictures have emerged of family pets, many of them stolen, stuffed inside cramped metal cages as they are sold at the barbaric carnival. Condemned to die a shocking brutal death, the dogs are clubbed over the head and have their throats cut open before being thrown into boiling water. And many are strung up ALIVE with a rusty can forced on their heads so they cant bite, and beaten to death, because they say it tenderises the meat and tastes better.

This has to be stopped. Countries can not be allowed to behave in such an evil , medieval way. Their leaders say they are killed in an humane way? LIAR'S! visit the Daily Mail story on it (sorry, my links wont work) but be warned it will break your heart. particularly if you are a true dog lover. Welcome to the 21 st Century:

000_0007.JPG

This puppy searching for affection is grasped and killed.

Message 1 of 33
See Most Recent
32 REPLIES 32

Just been reading about this, it is disgusting, these people are savages....
Message 2 of 33
See Most Recent

Smiley IndifferentRemember It Next Time You Order A Chinease

Petal
Message 3 of 33
See Most Recent

I can't bear to read about it Mere. There is a petition against this on Change.org which I have signed. It was still there last time I looked.
Message 4 of 33
See Most Recent

@astrologica wrote:
I can't bear to read about it Mere. There is a petition against this on Change.org which I have signed. It was still there last time I looked.

Yes. Sarah Palm's, petition. Thank you Astro.  I have signed too.  At the moment of my signing she says she wants 84 more to reach their goal.

Anyone else on here wanting to? Just Google 'Change.org'  then  'Stop China's annual dog meat fest'   It's quick and easy to follow through.   And of course cost nothing but a kind thought.

Message 5 of 33
See Most Recent

@merehazle wrote:

@astrologica wrote:

Yes. Sarah Palm's, petition. Thank you Astro.  I have signed too.  At the moment of my signing she says she wants 84 more to reach their goal.

Anyone else on here wanting to? Just Google 'Change.org'  then  'Stop China's annual dog meat fest'   It's quick and easy to follow through.   And of course cost nothing but a kind thought.

I've just tried the change.org website and there is no sign of that petition, this is the reply I got.

Sorry, your search - stop chinas annual dogmeat fest - did not match any current petitions.

Maybe the petition has been closed. While I was there I did sign the one started by Liz Truss MP to ban Halal slaughter in the UK. It still needs nearly 20,000 signatures before it can be debated in Parliament. What a disgusting practice to allow in a civilised society. Here's a link.....

https://www.change.org/p/the-rt-hon-elizabeth-truss-mp-ban-halal-slaughter-in-the-united-kingdom

Message 6 of 33
See Most Recent

Breaks my heart Smiley Sad

I usually get the change.org and avaaz petitions by email, but didn't get this one.

JD - you can find it at this link:

https://www.change.org/p/mr-chen-wu-yulin-governor-please-shut-down-the-yulin-dog-meat-festival-in-g...

It has happened already today I guess, but I was still able to sign the petition.  It might help to stop it next year, I hope, in spite of cultural differences.  Worth a try.

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 7 of 33
See Most Recent

I have no problem with the Halal or Kosher methods of slaughter so long as the animals are first stunned - as nearly 90% actually are - it is that 10% that aren't that campaigns should be addressing.

Pigs are slaughtered by having their throats cut and being bled out - of course pigs aren't eaten by Muslims nor Jews - surely that couldn't possibly have anything to do with how rarely you hear complaints about theim being slaughtered in this way?

Message 8 of 33
See Most Recent

@suzieseaside wrote:

I usually get the change.org and avaaz petitions by email, but didn't get this one.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-chen-wu-yulin-governor-please-shut-down-the-yulin-dog-meat-festival-in-g...

It has happened already today I guess, but I was still able to sign the petition.  It might help to stop it next year, I hope, in spite of cultural differences.  Worth a try.

Having read the petition in full I have to say that I support their aim to try and persuade the government to call a halt to this festival, (and for what good it will do have signed the petition).

The call to stop the festival was based on public health, food safety and child welfare.  Had it been based on a sentimental objection to the consumption of dog meat then as a consumer of bacon and pork derived from the pig, (an equally, if not more intelligent animal as the dog), then it wouldn't have had my support.

Message 9 of 33
See Most Recent

@upthecreekyetagain wrote:

@suzieseaside wrote:

Having read the petition in full I have to say that I support their aim to try and persuade the government to call a halt to this festival, (and for what good it will do have signed the petition).

The call to stop the festival was based on public health, food safety and child welfare.  Had it been based on a sentimental objection to the consumption of dog meat then as a consumer of bacon and pork derived from the pig, (an equally, if not more intelligent animal as the dog), then it wouldn't have had my support.

"Sentimental objection"?  How can anyone think this would be sentimental objection "the dogs are clubbed over the head and have their throats cut open before being thrown into boiling water. And many are strung up ALIVE with a rusty can forced on their heads so they cant bite, and beaten to death, because they say it tenderises the meat and tastes better"

It's disgusting and breaks my heart to think of the suffering those poor dogs go through.  Barbaric.

Message 10 of 33
See Most Recent

Somehow, I get the vibe a call to boycott the "UK's and USA's annual TURKEY Festival" won't receive much support.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/living/ALL/563/

"Approximately 20 million turkeys are killed in the UK each year and around a third of them are slaughtered for the Christmas table. Turkeys don't raise much sympathy amongst the general public – they are often the object of ridicule and disdain. But spare a thought for these poor, ungainly birds. They may not be pretty as a peacock or cute as a kitten, but turkeys experience pain, fear, discomfort and distress just like any other animal.

And it is humans who have turned them into the clumsy creatures they are now. In the wild, turkeys roost in trees, are fiercely protective of their young, can fly at up to 50 mph and live for around 10 years. Today, the vast majority are reared on factory farms, crammed by their thousands into dirty sheds, with barely enough room to move. Most are slaughtered at around four months."

Check out these evil savages > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/5324320.stm

Makes me ashamed to be British.

Message 11 of 33
See Most Recent

@bookhunter2007 wrote:

Somehow, I get the vibe a call to boycott the "UK's and USA's annual TURKEY Festival" won't receive much support.

http://www.animalaid.org.uk/h/n/CAMPAIGNS/living/ALL/563/

"Approximately 20 million turkeys are killed in the UK each year and around a third of them are slaughtered for the Christmas table. Turkeys don't raise much sympathy amongst the general public – they are often the object of ridicule and disdain. But spare a thought for these poor, ungainly birds. They may not be pretty as a peacock or cute as a kitten, but turkeys experience pain, fear, discomfort and distress just like any other animal.

And it is humans who have turned them into the clumsy creatures they are now. In the wild, turkeys roost in trees, are fiercely protective of their young, can fly at up to 50 mph and live for around 10 years. Today, the vast majority are reared on factory farms, crammed by their thousands into dirty sheds, with barely enough room to move. Most are slaughtered at around four months."

Check out these evil savages > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/5324320.stm

Makes me ashamed to be British.

Nearly a billion chickens are slaughtered in the UK each year - nearly 2 million die before they even reach the abbatoir.

I buy and eat chicken on a regular basis and whilst I do so am really not in a position to criticise the above other than try to make sure that I buy chickens from a source that has treated them humanely.

I have no objection to any animal being reared for human consumption so long as they are not reared nor slaughtered in a way that causes unnecessary suffering.

In answer to Sara, by "sentimental objections" I do NOT mean objections based on cruelty to animals but objections simply based on sentiment - i.e. objections to eating dogs, cats, horses or any other animal simply based on the fact that they are dogs, cats, horses etc.

Message 12 of 33
See Most Recent

The above posts show civilised humans at their best.  Considerate of animal welfare., and all that.

It also shows that the humans are not very hungry.

Whereas if they were starving, they'd roast their pet dog and eat it, with no compunction, not so?

Message 13 of 33
See Most Recent

It seems that most of these dogs are stolen.

Maybe there's some hope for the future from lobbying within China.

http://news.sky.com/story/1506365/dog-meat-festival-faces-social-media-backlash

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 14 of 33
See Most Recent

@upthecreekyetagain wrote:

Nearly a billion chickens are slaughtered in the UK each year - nearly 2 million die before they even reach the abbatoir.

I buy and eat chicken on a regular basis and whilst I do so am really not in a position to criticise the above other than try to make sure that I buy chickens from a source that has treated them humanely.

I have no objection to any animal being reared for human consumption so long as they are not reared nor slaughtered in a way that causes unnecessary suffering.

Yes, I agree. I guess we could all do more? Problem sometimes terms such as "free range" can have quite a loose definition in reality.

What does cause uneccesary suffering, and serves no apparent purpose is Fox Hunting. I saw some suggestions on Twitter that people boycotted Chinese Takeaways in protest at the Dog meat festival. If the Tories do bring Fox Hunting back, folks at home and abroad could maybe boycott fry-ups and John Smiths in protest?

Then again, should we just accept Fox Hunting as part of "British Culture"?

Message 15 of 33
See Most Recent

So the question is what is the problem with a backward peasant slitting the throat of a puppy whillst here in our land of privilege Toffs seek to reverse the ban on Foxhunting. Yet another demonstartion of political Poop,

Message 16 of 33
See Most Recent

Thanks for the link suzieseaside, just signed it. As you say it's probably too late to make a difference to this year's event but if enough pressure is put on the organisers it may influence them in future.

Message 17 of 33
See Most Recent

@fallen-archie wrote:

So the question is what is the problem with a backward peasant slitting the throat of a puppy whillst here in our land of privilege Toffs seek to reverse the ban on Foxhunting. Yet another demonstartion of political Poop,

Whilst both are unpleasant, I have often seen folks suggest "charity begins at home". So it does raise the question whether more could be done to help Foxes, Pigs and Turkeys from Britain rather than dogs from China? After all, it's not as if we like other countries telling us what to do.

Message 18 of 33
See Most Recent

The FSA here are banging on and changing the welfare for all sorts of farmed animals and rightly so, In other words we ARE doing something about it. I'm not suggesting that it is yet perfect but huge strides have been made. You should be well aware in your area where at least two major suppliers have had their backsides slapped.
Message 19 of 33
See Most Recent

@martinlufc88 wrote:
Just been reading about this, it is disgusting, these people are savages....

There are other matters to read about too:

A home with proper love and care is all any breed of dog wants (including pitbulls). I know i'm humanizing pitballs here, but do you really think they grow up wanting the abuse and torture so many are forced to suffer through? The starvation and  beatings?

Females being made to produce litter after litter of puppies and then used as bait dogs (thrown in to fight younger dogs till they die there) when they cant produce anymore?   It's a horrible life. There are only two ways out of that suffering. The relief i'm sure so many have felt taking their last breath, not having to endure anymore of the torture.

And those who are lucky enough to be found and rescued.  Who have survived to see that day, finally get a chance at a real dogs life. Some of them probably never had a kind word spoken to them, or petted, or cuddled and hugged. But they still new it meant love. That they didn't have to be afraid anymore, that they could trust again.

And they responded to it, with wagging tails, and leaning in close to get more love.  

Message 20 of 33
See Most Recent