Can anyone advise re dog collar please?

Waterproof Anti Bark Electric Shock Ultrasonic Dog Collar Pet Training Collar 

I would like to know if anyone has used one and did they find it did the job of sucessfully trainingg their dog out of insesant barking.

I wouldn't want to waste my 30 odd pounds if it doesn't really do the training TIA

I would have put this up on FHG but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there at the moment.Woman Happy

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

Smiley HappyYou Can Get A Whistle, you blow it when dog barks and it stops barking

Petal
Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

Why would anyone want to give a dog an electric shock?

Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

I thought they were going to be banned as they are considered to be cruel.
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

Not really what I asked.
Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

Agreed...not what you asked. But the question remains..why would anyone want to give an electric shock (it does actually hurt..I've had one) to a living creature that can feel pain?

Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

Incessant.
Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Thanks for the spelling lesson. 😃

Surely Astrological my question was clear enough why.

What type of electric shock have you had?
Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

Please don’t use these collars or any other inhumane device/method to try and ‘train’ an animal.

This from the Blue Cross:

It’s important to note that electric shock collars are illegal to use on dogs in Wales. If you use these on your dog in Wales, you face a cruelty conviction, a fine of up to £20,000 and six months in prison.

Blue Cross would like to see a UK-wide ban on these cruel devices.

More info here:

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/how-stop-your-dog-barking

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

I had a couple of shocks as a child. My brother was a trainee electrical engineer, and he would set up bits of apparatus to test things. He would say 'go away, and don't you touch anything here.' Well..I did, and it hurt.😀 After a few shocks I did as I was told. Which probably is the same thing as teaching your dog to do as it's told and not bark. But my personal opinion is that no human should hurt another creature . There has to be a better way to train a dog.

Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

No I have never used one.  I wouldn't dream of it.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

@astrologica wrote:

I had a couple of shocks as a child. My brother was a trainee electrical engineer, and he would set up bits of apparatus to test things. He would say 'go away, and don't you touch anything here.' Well..I did, and it hurt.😀 After a few shocks I did as I was told. Which probably is the same thing as teaching your dog to do as it's told and not bark. But my personal opinion is that no human should hurt another creature . There has to be a better way to train a dog.

I don't think that is a good comparison tbh, modern collars have a very mild measured output, certainly not a high voltage out put like you are describing.

I think it more likely to be the type you would get from a low output electric fence. You know the type that keeps animals in a safe enclosure so they stay out of harm. I have had a shock from one of those and it is hardly anything to worry about, makes you jump a bit but certainly not harmful.

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

@rell6534 wrote:

Please don’t use these collars or any other inhumane device/method to try and ‘train’ an animal.

This from the Blue Cross:

It’s important to note that electric shock collars are illegal to use on dogs in Wales. If you use these on your dog in Wales, you face a cruelty conviction, a fine of up to £20,000 and six months in prison.

Blue Cross would like to see a UK-wide ban on these cruel devices.

More info here:

https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/how-stop-your-dog-barking

Thank you for the link.

I am aware of certain training to stop dog barking but I am running out of options that work.

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

@june-spoon28 wrote:

I think it more likely to be the type you would get from a low output electric fence. You know the type that keeps animals in a safe enclosure so they stay out of harm. I have had a shock from one of those and it is hardly anything to worry about, makes you jump a bit but certainly not harmful.

My friends husband touched one of those fences, and had a heart attack.  They said he was dead before he hit the ground.

To be honest,  I would think most animals would make even more noise if they're being hurt. And if it doesn't hurt it's unlikely to work anyway.

..........................................................................................................

crooksnanny ~ maz
Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

@023mjc wrote:

@june-spoon28 wrote:

My friends husband touched one of those fences, and had a heart attack.  They said he was dead before he hit the ground.

To be honest,  I would think most animals would make even more noise if they're being hurt. And if it doesn't hurt it's unlikely to work anyway.

The heart attack was more than likely on it's way anyway.

Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

I bought one, plumped for a buz and vibration response and no shock.

Waste of money the mutt just carries on regardless, its either very strong willed or a case of where there is no sense there is no feeling.

can anyone suggest what any other way of trying to stop my littel mutt barking far too much? TIAWoman Frustrated

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

Smiley Happygive it a chew, ca'nt bark and chew at same time

Petal
Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

How often do you see with dog owners that when their dog barks they ‘reward’ the dog by shouting at it and paying it attention.  As soon as the dog is quiet it then gets ignored.

Dogs, like most animals, learn best via the use of praise and reward and not via ‘punishment’.

One of our dogs would bark incessantly when alone with her brother in the house.  Likewise when in the garden.

We trained her out of this behaviour by ignoring her when she was barking.  If she was barking when we came home we would leave her shut in the utility room.  As soon as she paused in her barking we opened the door and gave her a treat and praise.  Again when in the garden we would give one firm command of “quiet” and turn our back on her and totally ignore her until she stopped, at which point she received a treat and praise.

It took a good deal of discipline on our part to do this and it was a good 6 months before we could really say that she had been trained out of this behaviour and would respond almost immediately to the command “quiet”.

Not saying this will work for you but I can say with a level of certainty that trying to stop an unwanted behaviour in a dog by using the stick rather than the carrot very rarely works and if it does on rare occasions is only instilling fear into them which is not something I’d want in any pet of mine.

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

Thank you upthecreekyetagain Woman Happy

I will give it a go.

Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

@right-then-petal wrote:

Smiley Happygive it a chew, ca'nt bark and chew at same time

The trouble with that though petal is the fact she will get very fat Woman Sad

Message 20 of 21