Cambridge Analytica

I have watched with interest the kerfuffle surrounding Cambridge Analytica, what they have done has, imho, been going on in various forms for years, 35 years ago we would use Acorn analysis (a classification of residential neighbourhoods) which could be used in order to target marketing of specific products to certain areas and thus consumers. This was then drilled down further until everyone was put in a pigeonhole covering so many natural habits of individuals, what Cambridge Analytica appear to have done is finesse this by taking all the evidence we have volunteered to put out on a social media platform,this could have been achieved without the assistance of FB albeit would have taken far more hands on analysis, in this knowledge I believe FB decided to cash in and sell the info in a format which enabled analysts to more easily achieve their objectives.
Personally I do not believe they have done anything wrong however I am certain others view it differently despite the fact they are responsible for putting so much personal information into the public domain. What do you guys think?
Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

Cambridge Analytica

If you use a plarform like facebook dont be surprised to find your information used. So if you dont want your information spread around then dont use it.  Simple.

On the other hand if a site you use has security in place and it gets hacked by unscrupulous companies and use your information to benifit themselves then everything possible should be done to bring justice.

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Next mood swing in 6 minutes
++++++++++++++++++++++++

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Cambridge Analytica

I haven't answered because I'm not yet sure how much alleged interference there has been in Trump election, or Brexit, and whether what CA have done once they got the data is not legal.

But i did find the following article a few days ago. It was written almost a year ago. It's a long article and i don't know how much truth there is in it, but it points to some dodgy activity.

Only just found out how to copy a link on my
old phone so hope it works ....

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democra...
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Cambridge Analytica

I think FB was doomed by security features from the very moment Zuckerberg made it open to all. It was after all just meant to be an open campus face tool program.
I think he had trouble and always will have trouble keeping security tight and keeping accounts secure it’s such a personal site you could literally hold your life on there.
Maybe FB should go back to its roots and strip everything back it’s far too complicated now so no wonder it can be manipulated easily.
🤷🏻‍♀️
Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Cambridge Analytica

Remember advertisers and Facebook themselves,

use a lot more of your private data than CA used

They are getting it in the neck because it was used for Political reasons

-----------------

If using FB, you should take the time to go through the Privacy settings, very carefully , take Your time, there are loads to go through, there are web pages that help you, how to protect yourself on FB  (of course don't use FBs own  help pages)

-----------------

My family persuaded me join Facebook

I did, but on my own terms

I use an alias, near to my own name - but People who know Me, know it's Me

all the Private data on my account, is nonsense

There are no photos of Me tagged on FB

I have NEVER used the APP (where most problems stem from) ditto Twitter

I use it through my browser, even on my Tablet

(seldom visit FB on there, only when away from home)

I use a Browser Add-on, FB Purity

That gets rid of ALL adverts and all the stuff FB themselves push onto you timeline

You get to choose whats on you page

Below is my newsfeed - I use a black theme

As you can see, I use FB Purity to get rid of most of the things on the left hand column and all of the righthand side

I also get rid of things like 'peoples high scores at silly games' etc 

and best of all - No adverts or sponsored stories

jghgjgjjgopgpgpgpgppgpg.png

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

Cambridge Analytica

The privacy settings only work in the context of other users, as I understand it.  Nothing anyone ever puts on FB is “private” as FB sells it on.  The settings are there to give an illusion of control of your data, not to actually alliow you to decide who it is shared with. 

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent