Are you part of the vinyl revolution?

Well vinyl sales have soared in 2015 to 1. 4 million. Apparently about 20-years ago they were down to around 20,000.

Well it could be time to dig out those dusty old LPs as an increased demand for rare vinyl has sent prices spiralling.

Original pressings of classic recordings are now being seen by experts as safe long-term investment opportunities.

We always thought that the recording quality was much richer. (what do you think?) please.

But like most we moved along with the times.

Anyway, the good news for us is we have at least a thousand up in the attic.  And viewing the the ''UKs Official Charts'' You can Google that. Very interesting to see what you might have.

I'm sure we have a few special ones.  But not a Sex Pistol 1977, one worth £8,000. Well not our style, unfortunately. 

The bad news is we have nothing to play them on.  We will soon, because they are advertised in the usual places.

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

My music collection used to be exclusively vinyl but I had a huge amount of prized records stolen in a burglary several years ago. As you say the quality of vinyl recordings has never been equalled, no matter how many times the originals are remastered on CD they always sound a bit lightweight in comparison.

Like a lot of music lovers I have bought a lot of titles in several formats over the years. Albums I bought originally on vinyl were duplicated with the advent of car cassette players so I could have music that I wanted to listen to on the move rather than depending on the radio. Then with the rise of the CD a lot of them were purchased again. I have managed to replace most of my stolen treasures over the years but only on CD, despite the poorer sound quality I wouldn't go back to buying vinyl again now, I remember the storage problems I had before.

Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

All our vinyl records went to a local auction a few years ago. Anything that begins to collect dust has to go...so the OH had better keep moving. I find that modern CD's give out a much better sound than those scratchy old records, but I am not a music purist so I may be wrong there. I can remember making fruit bowls out of old records, and my son in law makes clocks out of them....I think I had better tell him to check the titles first!
Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

I always found the clicks, crackles, pops, and the constant hissing on vinyl, irritating. Music was never meant to include exterior sounds. I remember I used to buff them up with a special cloth to attempt to get rid of the infuriating noises. Mind you, most of the time I think I was so aware of them, that I was intentionally listening out for them.  No doubt about it though, the sleeves were a work of art, from the ordinary album cover to the gate sleeved ones, they were exactly that, works of art in their own right. No comparison to today's plastic covers. Even the art work is inferior. However that said, I'd never return to vinyl.

Mere, if you are going to play vinyl again, then you must play them on an original Dansette. A must. Snag there is though that you could pay from £100 up to £400 for a decent one, in working order.

Mister EMB

Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

Edit time expired, and I forgot to mention that I once saw one up for sale in an auction. (On legs). The hammer price was £600 !

Mister EMB

Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

I didn't mind the pops and crackles, I thought they were an essential part of playing vinyl. Sometimes when I bought CDs I half expected to hear the crackles I had on the vinyl versions. Smiley LOL

I agree with you about the Dansette though, I remember saving up the proceeds of my paper round and buying my first one in 1962, a real luxury job in a bright red vinyl case. When I first built my own stereo system I incorporated the Dansette auto changer mechanism just for convenience, it was like having your own personal stereo jukebox.

Happy days Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

Yes, thank you EMBs.

However Hazle, bought this one, and a supply of those thick elastic bands.  We will certainly get a Dansette, if we tire of winding this Woman WinkMan Wink.

J D. # 3. Yes, thank you. In case you did not know they actually tried to market a car record player. They gave up, after it gave up trying to stay on the record. Man LOLWoman LOL. (it's true though).  

Astro Man LOL  Yes. I think you had better check Man Wink  By the way when any of you fancy a look? Google in these words: ''Old Gramophones''.  And follow that through for some very, very interesting stories.

Oh, I  put picture on ''attacments''.  I will tell you why later Man Wink. Might be back tonight with some tea and biscuits.

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

OMG.......when my Mum died two years ago, we found our original Dansette record player in her spare bedroom, still working perfectly. No-one wanted it so that went to the auction too. I think we got about a fiver for it............what have I done!!
Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

Brilliant pic, I think that's a bit older than a Dansette, the only thing missing is the dog. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

I have a collection of 78s, mostly classical.

Probably not worth anything

I remember seeing one in a charity shop once priced at £25

I asked why the high price and was told it is an original

Surely all 78s are oiginals

Photobucket
Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I still have quite a few. The covers edges aren't in great shape though. My cats had their nails in them while they stood against a wall for a while.

I was planning to sell them on ebay, but its more hassle than it's worth I think. P&P kills it. Some of my LP's are still in very good nick. I sold about half of our collection on car-boots in the past as we needed the money.

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

@mustard-tree wrote:

I have a collection of 78s, mostly classical.

Probably not worth anything

I remember seeing one in a charity shop once priced at £25

I asked why the high price and was told it is an original

Surely all 78s are oiginals

Sorry about the delay in replying.

Well you can find out. Just Google  ''Vinyl  Record Charts'' and then ''Vinyl Records Wanted''.  Most information will be there. And plenty of phone numbers too. If you think you do have something special, make a number of calls for best offer.

As most know you cant count on anything being original. The one signed by the Sex Pistols, obviously could be authenticated. £8,000 for that. Anyway, just check all of your records for any signatures. Other than that - if it is special in anyway, you can find out. Good luck! 

Oh just in case here are a few that might help you, or others.  1. Sex Pistols, God Save The Queen, 1997, £8,000.  2. The Beatles, Please Please Me, 1963, £3,500.    3. Hank Mobley, Hank Mobley, 1957,  £2,000.    4. Wil Malone, Wil Malone, 1970, £1,500.  5. The Rolling Stones,  The Rolling Stones, 1964,  £1,500.    6. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin, 1969,  £1,000.

Classics, don't do so well on prices usually.  Might be back this evening with some more tea and biscuits. Do you take sugar?

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

Had this album, at the time I had never seen one with a scene on the actual record.

260982196227.jpg

Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wauw, that looks great!

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

There were a limited number of Albums produced in this format and the group were not well known, I'm pretty certain Embs will know who they are.

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

I remember Curved Air a very accomplished band of real musicians.  Only bought their breakthrough single Back Street Luv, never heard any of their albums. I thought Sonja Kristina was really hot. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

JD here is a brief reminder of the lady you so admired

SonjaFeathers.JPG

Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

@jd.linklater wrote:

I remember Curved Air a very accomplished band of real musicians.  Only bought their breakthrough single Back Street Luv, never heard any of their albums. I thought Sonja Kristina was really hot. Smiley Happy

You brought back some happy memories - Curved Air, 1974ish - saw them in Stafford, Sonia Kristina - wow yes, ...and they are still around. http://www.curvedair.com/

Vinyl - never stopped loving it, it was so much nicer to have an album sleeve - more to see without the use of a magnifying glass and so much better than just pushing a button.

My vinyl is still there just waiting to be played ... including a couple of Curved Air!

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

How long will a vinyl disc last, if it gets played repeatedly?  Consider this - the disc needs a stylus, physically rubbing in its grooves.

This must eventually wear the grooves out.

I remember reading in a long-ago magazine, that if you play a vinyl LP even once - it will never sound the same again.  Because the stylus has scraped some of the vinyl out of the grooves, and so reduced the grooves' information content.  Is this true?

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

@malacandran wrote:

How long will a vinyl disc last, if it gets played repeatedly?  Consider this - the disc needs a stylus, physically rubbing in its grooves.

This must eventually wear the grooves out.

I remember reading in a long-ago magazine, that if you play a vinyl LP even once - it will never sound the same again.  Because the stylus has scraped some of the vinyl out of the grooves, and so reduced the grooves' information content.  Is this true?

Well...of course wear will affect the quality of sound. But usually over many years very little because the stylus is so light.

Anyway, if a buyer is willing to pay £8,000, for the Sex Pistols 1977 version of God Save The Queen. I should think they would expect that it has been played a number of times.

I must say I wonder if goldenwonder's, at #18, is going to have any luck with that massive collection? See that attachment at #18.  Golden, don't forget to look for any signatures too. Good luck!

Oh here are just a few we have found (some nearly 60-years old) in ''mint'' condition. That are worth a few bob:  See attachment.

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent