And so another year begins

Looking out at the dull grey weather yesterday I couldn't help thinking how the new year looked painfully similar to the old one, but why should it be different, little changes, we build more houses for our growing population, we continue to prosecute war across the globe, we have another Election featuring same old parties plus one run by a beer swilling loud mouth playing on people's genuine concerns.
The NHS is battling with a population for whom sickness brings a welcome rest from the tedium of life or simply extends the respite from yet mor efficiency drives. A&E has become the standard drop in centre of choice while GPs chase extra rewards by offering yellow fever jabs, blood tests and guidance on obesity. Down the road the police station is shut now they drive around in Kia Ceeds clocking up the miles whilst listening to Steve wright in the Afternoon. Pubs continue to shut, Schools look for a new identity as a college or centre of excellence. Food banks are becoming part of the fading high street fabric, Charity shops prevail as one by one independents fall by the wayside. Men in their sixties wait for the knock on the door to tell them they are under arrest for heavy petting
Others are persecuted for a lack of political correctness, so I suppose things are changing and doubtless many will feel they are changing for the best. Look at the RT, posts are limited, moderation remains draconian and a thread wishing everyone a Happy New year attracts just three responses so far. I cannot remember a time when freedom of speech and the ability to debate and discuss things that affect our everyday lives have been so restricted. Not so much here because you have to obey the rules of the day when someone else calls the shots, but in public different matter.
Message 1 of 12
See Most Recent
11 REPLIES 11

How depressing ....

On the other hand our village pub has just re opened after a two year closure ....it is amazingly busy ....

Our small market town is famed for its independent shops and most seem to be doing OK ...no big shops at all to speak of ....its a good place to live .....

Its a rural area so wages are below the national average but the area is very beautiful and we feel privileged to live here .....

My hubby is in his sixties and is not expecting a knock on the door ....

I am chilling with a glass of wine ...its half full ( not half empty ) and I can always top it up later ....

Sometimes it can be just the way that you view things ....

Message 2 of 12
See Most Recent

same sh*t different day as they say archie.

Message 3 of 12
See Most Recent

The Sun keeps doing its stuff so our World can stay in existence. It'll last for around another 5 billion years so barring a cataclysmic collision, we've got our lifetimes to enjoy it all.

Life's what you make it so get on with it and enjoy?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 12
See Most Recent

It's an absolutely gorgeous morning with a clear Blue sky, nice warm Sun and no wind.

Walking down a steep path through the woods when out with the dog this morning I reminded myself of an incident a few years back when on the same path on a dark, perishing cold day with lashing horizontal rain I met an old chap walking up the path. He had White hair and a full, bushy White beard and looked like Father Christmas.

I said "Good morning" in a cheerful voice.

He replied in a grumpy, surly manner "What's good about it?"

I replied "I woke up".

He thought about it for a few seconds, then his face brightened and he said "Ar, ar" started laughing and went on his way.

I never saw him again until a week or two ago and met him on the same path so I stopped him and reminded him of the above.

He said "Thanks mate, I often think about that", laughed, and went on his way.

Soooooooo, next time anyone wants to moan and groan, be thankful you woke up and spare a thought for those who'll never wake again.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 12
See Most Recent

photo bearchecksin.gif

Petal
Message 6 of 12
See Most Recent

Hi Victor Meldrew - how ya doin?

God has given me another day - Petula Clark's song "Thank you" springs immediately to mind.  Each week 15,000 people never see another day, and leave behind a whole load of heartache.  

"Thank you , Heavenly Father, that You love me so much, You've given me another day to enjoy Your beautiful earth.  Amen..

Message 7 of 12
See Most Recent

I feel rejuvenated, this thread has morphed from a dour diatribe into a sparkling recipe for living life to the full.
Oh what a beautiful Morning oh what a beautiful day"..............
Message 8 of 12
See Most Recent

Here's to your rejuvination with a sparkling recipe

imagesKAH1CUWL.jpg

no-onegetsoutalive.jpg

All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 9 of 12
See Most Recent

Cheers, things are really looking up!
Message 10 of 12
See Most Recent

I don't think I can remember, in my lifetime anyway, such an awful year Worldwide as 2014 and there's much still to be concerned about.

I do think we need to remind ourselves and our young people how very lucky we are to live in this Country, despite some of its problems. The majority of us have work or are retired, a roof over our heads, food on the table and family and friends. You can't ask for much more than that and indeed we are privedged to wake up each morning. 

Message 11 of 12
See Most Recent

Well said Lhasa,
Great to wake up, Great to go to sleep, God save the Queen.
Message 12 of 12
See Most Recent