An old friend is dying.

An old friend seems to be on the way out and it's sad to see it happening. It seems as though it's going to be a long, drawn out, painful affair.

It's an old friend with whom I've spent many happy hours and had many interesting conversations plus quite a few good-natured arguments.

It's very sad to see the demise of such an old friend and I see far, far less friends dropping by to have a talk.

I do notice people looking in but passing on by without a word and often wonder why? Have they nothing to say or are they just wondering if death has occurred?

In times past, it was a job to get a word in as there were so many people all chatting and sometimes it was difficult to keep track of where you were but today there seems little to talk about?

So, how about stopping a while on your internet travels and either having a word or perhaps starting a fresh conversation?

I nearly forgot, the old friend is called The Round Table.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 33
See Most Recent
32 REPLIES 32

An old friend is dying.

We are none of us getting any younger and many have already sadly gone from this world, but I do agree with you those who are left ought to be able to chat more on here than has been the case of late! I notice Suzie has posted a question today which would have been onto a third page a few years ago yet today she still awaits a single response! Since I retired I hardly see anyone and can go days without speaking to anyone outside of my immediate family, it is a shock to the system when you have been used to networking on a daily basis, I believe there are millions in a similar position to me, admittedly my health prevents me from doing many things I had planned to on retirement however just having a chat on here is worth it’s weight in gold. So come on folks try and preserve this for the sake of the living as well as the dead!
Message 2 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Couldn't think of anything to post CD hence started a thread about what i was doing at the time! Won't surprise me if no one answers but i tried!
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 3 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

I think the point is clearly illustrated by the number of views a thread gets? Your thread had over 20 views before you got one post?

As for this thread, the ratio of views is also high. Why is that? Surely when a thread has some valid points and begs a question it warrants a constructive comment?

Live long and prosper.

Message 4 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Not the first time you've raised the issue of view to post ratios on here CD. I opened it because I thought it was referring to an actual poster, when I realised it was more of the same I didn't bother going any further. That's what happens with most chatboards, people view threads to see if anything raises their interest, if not they move on.

Message 5 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

You're not wrong. I have raised the issue before but it seems to be getting worse. One day there were no posts on here for 12 hours in spite of many views on different threads.

There's an old saying, "use it or lose it" so I wonder how long it'll stagger along in its death throes before ebay decide to close some of the boards.

Of all the old boards, the Q & A was the most vibrant and insted of dealing with the trouble-makers on there, the board was closed which marked the beginning of the end.

Look at the Books board, the FHG and even the tech board can go a week without a post.

As to the way I posted the thread, that was so people would actually look at it instead of just mousing over the title to see the first couple of lines and I was hoping it would encourage people to post. It seems not?

Live long and prosper.

Message 6 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Three reasons immediately spring to mind.

When I first found the boards "Community" was at the top of every page where the little bell is now.  Now it has been relegated to the bottom of the page.  How many newer ebayers don't even know there are community pages?

Having found the boards it took me a while to get beyond the Buyer and Seller headings, which seemed to cover almost all topics and get down to Ebay Cafe.  It needs to be scrolled down to, many will likely never realise it's down there.

Over the last few years "Discussion Boards" seems to to be becoming something of a misnomer.  I seem to remember many more longish threads, where real discussions took place and different views exchanged and developed.  Now many threads are shorter, the OP raises a topic and often many of the replies are one or two lines. 

Could this be because posters are getting younger and more used to social media where making short statements or comments is more usual?  I find it quite strange that sometimes (on the same board) there will be half a dozen short threads on the same subject.  All very similar, but none of them developing into what I would call a discussion, just lists of views and short reactions to the OP with much less cut and thrust of debate or putting of contradictory views. 

Message 7 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Valid points but that doesn't explain the large mumbers of viewers who don't post?

Live long and prosper.

Message 8 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Perhaps in part others are doing what I did when I first found the boards, seeking info. about what didn't work that day or what had been changed since yesterday.  The resident "experts" could be relied on to give accurate and truthful info. and interpret the "Announcements" sometimes put out by ebay in pidgin English, seemingly more designed to confuse and conceal than inform.

Community, like FB is probably now viewed by ebay and the "Me" generation as relics from the good old days, payed lip-service and tolerated but with no real sense of engagement.

I remember Alan who seemed to moderate all the boards by himself and frequently provided answers and clarification of points raised.  Now "The Community Team" is a ghostly shadow rarely saying anything apart from the occasional warning about inter-personal disputes.  Perhaps they have been victims of cost cutting and now only work a couple of hours a week.

The idea behind "The Community" was to make ebay special and safe.  Now the company and the Me generation regard it as just more shopping, nothing special at all.  Perhaps viewing the boards is part of the ebay experience, like visiting a zoo.  Gawp at the dinosaurs but don't put your hand through the bars.

It's all about grab what you can these days, both ebay and the Me crowd take what they want, with little inclination to give anything back

Message 9 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Still think most of the 'VIEWS' are made by Bots

as you know CeeDee ebay pages are full of them

Message 10 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Oh Al, ye of little faith. Bots? On ebay? Never? grinning

Live long and prosper.

Message 11 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Things chance CD, that is how it is. We can accept it or push against it. We can embrace the new technology or be left behind.

The days that you could have real banter on here are long gone and the Trolls and the PC brigade have won. Simple.

I still post on here for old times sake really. Just to let people know I'm still alive. Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

I don't always post on a thread after reading it, often feeling I have nothing original to add to what others have already said. I am guessing the same applies to other readers. 

In this case, I too have noticed what appears to be a general lack of interest in the boards, and agree with quibono that newer members may well have never found this interesting feature of eBay,  because it is so well hidden these days.  Some people may have decided not to bother with the boards any more due to a small minority of posters who couldn't keep it polite.  I look in from time to time; sometimes I reply, sometimes not.

Message 13 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

It seems the old place is getting deader and deader? There's just a few of the old fathfuls popping in from time to time and "newer" posters on occasions but it's getting less and less often now?

Live long and prosper.

Message 14 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

@cee-dee wrote:

It seems the old place is getting deader and deader? There's just a few of the old fathfuls popping in from time to time and "newer" posters on occasions but it's getting less and less often now?

Your heart would break if you knew how many of the original ''crew'' are dead and gone CD. I'm sure its actually more than I'm aware of because I'm willing to bet there'll be some you know of that I don't.

Add to that the numbers who have been found to be too helpful/opinionated/knowledgable so they've had their access all areas permits revoked.

The death of a disco dancer, it happens a lot round here.

Good to see you, however fleeting, I'm sure I'll be back in rehab soon Smiley Very Happy

PS the busty thread is pure class.

Message 15 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Perhaps we should have a roll call or a list of those known to be dead and gone?

Live long and prosper.

Message 16 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

@northy.says.no.to.bullyingthe tights in doctors restroom thread is exceptional also!
Message 17 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Perhaps the question we should ask is, Is CD a BOT? Or is Archie a BOT? Why aren’t they dead? They have bee around forever albeit in differing guises, panned for responding to trolls, and on occasion becoming embroiled in disagreements.
I agree with QB that the placement of the boards is now being impossible for newbies to find, and that is he fault of those who made the Boards so self destructive! I hold my hand up and say I was a silly boy on occasions which also set certain folk off, many have remained good friends but many many more have gone away with an impression of me which is less than flattering. On Twitter you can block someone you don’t like, on here you cannot, perhaps therein lies a problem. But as has been said previously eBay no longer places sufficient importance on the boards and who can blame them? Then there is choice, with so many ways to express ones views, what is there to make people wish to do so on here?
Message 18 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

Not a lot archie. So few people posting that the scope and the mood for a good discussion have faded. I have lost enthusiasm for posting nowadays.
There are a couple of types of threads on here that put me off this forum (just my personal opinion of course) but when there's little of anything else I get out of the habit of looking in regularly.
Methinks this board is dying but might limp along a bit longer while you more prolific ones make an effort - and good on you 🤗
All that we are is what we have thought.
Message 19 of 33
See Most Recent

An old friend is dying.

It's now dead.Woman LOL

Message 20 of 33
See Most Recent