An old friend is dying.

An old friend seems to be on the way out and it's sad to see it happening. It seems as though it's going to be a long, drawn out, painful affair.

It's an old friend with whom I've spent many happy hours and had many interesting conversations plus quite a few good-natured arguments.

It's very sad to see the demise of such an old friend and I see far, far less friends dropping by to have a talk.

I do notice people looking in but passing on by without a word and often wonder why? Have they nothing to say or are they just wondering if death has occurred?

In times past, it was a job to get a word in as there were so many people all chatting and sometimes it was difficult to keep track of where you were but today there seems little to talk about?

So, how about stopping a while on your internet travels and either having a word or perhaps starting a fresh conversation?

I nearly forgot, the old friend is called The Round Table.

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 1 of 33
See Most Recent
32 REPLIES 32

Re: An old friend is dying.

Not quite, not quite, it may be gasping for breath but there's still a bit of life remaining.

As to the final end, in the words of Juba to Maximus (Gladiator), "Not yet, not yet".

Live long and prosper.

Message 21 of 33
See Most Recent

Haha, you think so? Nothing of any value been discussed for a very long time. Dead that's what it is.🤣😭😄
Message 22 of 33
See Most Recent

Try posting "something of value" then?

Live long and prosper.

Message 23 of 33
See Most Recent

Message 24 of 33
See Most Recent

Wow!.......that's really valuable.

Message 25 of 33
See Most Recent

Could it not be considered a valid point and a cleverly made one, concerning the ultimate futility of all public discussion boards.

Perhaps denoting the posters view that the value of discussion itself decreases in inverse proportion to the number of words written?

Is it not possible, in the philosophic context of the mobile world, that the symbolic representation of words by jumbled letters and pictures has made discussion redundant.  Possibly we are the ones out of step, the pokey-box generation understanding perfectly what a blank space denotes and its deeper significance?Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 33
See Most Recent

That was far too profound for me QB😀 The only deep significance I can see is the lack of posting! If one considers certain things a post then Astro is correct, however I would far more receive the love than the hate even if that was out of context with the senders true thoughts!! What is clear is that people now spend a disproportionate amount of time on their mobile phones and too little time interacting with individuals, No one pops in to have a face to face anymore which leads to a lonely life for millions. We are all part of a freak show where we say what we want when we want to people we have never met, we get sucked into a world of make believe where sarcasm is king and being offensive is par for the course! But it need not be that way, I check in here several times a day just in case there is a pulse, if not I get on with life such as it is!
Yall have a great day now and interact if you wish👍🤔😳😀
Message 27 of 33
See Most Recent

Sorry to disappoint, no nothing clever quibono 😊 I just thought this is as good a place as any to try and figure out how to get a signature at the bottom of my posts.  😀 

Message 28 of 33
See Most Recent

I know we’re lucky and I shouldn’t really moan but I’m going to anyway.

Far from being lonely my better half and I would love a day or two without having visitors - we’ve lived in the same house for more than forty years and know all our neighbours for at least half a mile in each direction.  There hasn’t been a single day in the last six months when we haven’t had at least one person come round.

To top it all the restaurant just four doors away was knocked down a few years back and they built a Jehovah’s Witness’ Kingdom Hall in its place - I’m sure they use all the local residents for practice calls!

Add to all that horsey people just ‘popping’ round, Girl Guiders coming for advice or to camp by the river, farriers, vets and even the local vicar - the local farmer who brings hay but likes to stay for a drink and a chat, relatives who have a sixth sense and know when I’ve lit the pizza oven.  

This retirement thing is vastly over rated!

Message 29 of 33
See Most Recent

Profound? or utter b-s?.  

But I agree with you about the phonesSmiley Happy

Message 30 of 33
See Most Recent

If the boards were a bit more user friendly like other boards on the internet then more people may come. I just find the whole UI very boring and hard to work on mobile and pc. Jmho
Message 31 of 33
See Most Recent

@cee-dee wrote:

Try posting "something of value" then?

See the source image

Message 32 of 33
See Most Recent

Old Mels a hoot, isn't he?grinning

Message 33 of 33
See Most Recent