DO YOU HAVE A BOOK QUESTION?

Hi all, pippy_oak here, posting under my brand new user name. Hopefully, Richard will pin this thread, as it seems a nice tidy place to pose specific questions about a book (Is it a 1st edition, what's it worth, where to find it etc. etc.) Don't just come here with a question. If you think you have the answer, then let's hear it.

Or we could just mooch around and learn a few things.

Cheers

Paul

Message 1 of 1,680
See Most Recent
1,679 REPLIES 1,679

Look for the 'Marketplace' link, quite low down the page on the left.

. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 181 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Oh, cheers Steve.
Message 182 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Seems to have fees coming out of the woodwork all over.

Every time I have this discussion, people start banging on about fees. They really aren't that bad. P&P works in your favour on paperbacks. As a pro-merchant, the more you sell, the cheaper it gets. It's an interesting spreadsheet exercise to compare ebay/paypal with the River.

Message 183 of 1,680
See Most Recent

It must be something about the way I word my questions ... they get overlooked ... try again ...

1. What sites, other than on the river, do people use for selling?

2. Are some sites better for certain types of books?

3. Can you contact a seller on the river?

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 184 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Bee, the trick is to look helpless and flutter your eyelids.:-D
Message 185 of 1,680
See Most Recent

or should that be eyelashes? Whatever, try fluttering it.
Message 186 of 1,680
See Most Recent

1)Main one is ABEbooks. Don't have any personal experience. Maybe someone else can help.

2)Ebay is a collector's marketplace. Collectable books (antiquarian, first editions, special interest) do best here. A****n is a readers' mrket. Rapid turnover of modern fiction/non-fiction and textbooks.

3)Yes

Message 187 of 1,680
See Most Recent

ABE requires a monthly fee. If you're selling a good few every month it may be worth it.

I've never considered it so.

. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 188 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Thanks, chaps, ... and I didn't flutter anything.

"Write your Life Story and Publish it" .....

"Longdon Green, Farewell"....

"Use Google's Picasa for a Kindle, e-book, cover picture." ... on Hub Pages

Use quotation marks when searching.
Message 189 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Now I'm probably being a bit obtuse here - well, not probably, I AM being VERY obtuse here: I've tried listing a book on said river, but, as my book isn't listed, I'm being told to auction. Fine.

But I'm being asked for a U.S. based phone no. and credit card and everything is in dollars!!!

I can't cope - I'm too old and past it for all this techie stuff :_|

Message 190 of 1,680
See Most Recent

It's O.K. chaps ( hangs head in embarrassment ) I was on .com instead of co.uk.
Message 191 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Not having much luck so far - they haven't any of mine listed.

One is listed with same ISBN, but mine is hardback and not the listed paperback. Do I list mine but say it is hardback?

Sorry, guys, I know I'm a pain.:-(

Message 192 of 1,680
See Most Recent

jasaauctions
List it under collectable and state that the book is the hardback edition.
Message 193 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Thanks jasa - have listed my first book!
Message 194 of 1,680
See Most Recent

OK folks. I'd hate to put a dampener on this conversation, but I think it's a trifle unethical. They have various chat boards over there, one specifically for new sellers.
Message 195 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Understood and agreed. I'm at my limit of knowledge of the other place anyway.

I'll stick with eBay simply because it is now like putting on a well worn-in pair of shoes.

Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 196 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Take your point MHB.

My apologies for dragging you in, Steve.

Message 197 of 1,680
See Most Recent

147victoria
Sig...think positive about Guy Boothby, your two bidders may not have been 'watching' just bidding.
All may not be lost.

If it will cheer you up, I will put it on my watched list but I will not be bidding!

]:)
Message 198 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Thanks for that, Victoria.

It has a little over an hour and a half to go now. It rocketed a little about 10 minutes ago.

Still trying to coax my eyebrows back below my hairline.

:-)

Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 199 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Good Lord!!! I'm off out to find some Guy Boothby books.
Message 200 of 1,680
See Most Recent