DO YOU HAVE A BOOK QUESTION?

Hi all, pippy_oak here, posting under my brand new user name. Hopefully, Richard will pin this thread, as it seems a nice tidy place to pose specific questions about a book (Is it a 1st edition, what's it worth, where to find it etc. etc.) Don't just come here with a question. If you think you have the answer, then let's hear it.

Or we could just mooch around and learn a few things.

Cheers

Paul

Message 1 of 1,680
See Most Recent
1,679 REPLIES 1,679

Welcome to eBay - the marketplace of the future (long pause for extended laughter before the final punctuation).

Do all those upper-case characters mean that you shouted all that?

Calm down. The current management team have cured all of eBay's problems - the way things are going there will be no eBay inside of about 2 years - problem solved.

. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 1481 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cdrybrown403
I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me.

I'm trying to find some information on a book that was left to me by my grandmother. Here is what I do know about the book:

My grandfather was a seaman in the funeral procession of King George V. He was later given a commemorative book. The book is simply titled ‘A Keepsake’ and contains information on Royal lineage, 3 poems (Farewell, A Fateful Day for the Empire and Oft shall We think of Him) and various pictures of King George V and his funeral. It was printed by HW Peall & Co. in London and the only reference to the author is ‘A Memory by One of his Millions. There is an inscription on the first page, which is signed ‘From the Author’. The book is in excellent condition and still in it's original box.

I'm trying for find out who the author was and any other information on it as well as a possible value. I am not a collector and although I treasure it, I have no one to pass it on to and would like to see it in the hands of someone who would appreciate it.

Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1482 of 1,680
See Most Recent

There won't be very many of them, and I can't find another being offered at the moment.

There is a 'Royal Windsor' site that is interested in anything to do with the place - that's where the funeral was. They might have more information.

http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/windsorhistory/royalfunerals/georgeV/geoV_280136.html

. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Whomever you may murder, there's no police like Holmes.
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 1483 of 1,680
See Most Recent

thebooksdot
OK here's a really really tough one from Australia.
Can anyone translate this for me please?

Photobucket

CHEERS TBDC.
Message 1484 of 1,680
See Most Recent

I'd try the dot com bookseller's board.

There will be far more possibility of a Japanese person or someone who knows the language seeing it there.

Mind you, if you're in Australia you're closer than us or dot com to the source.

Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 1485 of 1,680
See Most Recent

cdrybrown403
Thanks for the direction sigmapsidelta.
Message 1486 of 1,680
See Most Recent

wales7795
hi my name is chris and i have just put a biography up for sale on e bay,its 'the beatles' by hunter davies i think it might be a first edition but not 100% sure
inside front cover looks like this

first published 1968
c Hunter Davies 1968
434 17604 4
the 'c' before hunter davies has a circle around it -copyright,any advice as to what its worth would be much appreciated thank you
chris
Message 1487 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Are we talking hardcover or paperback here?

Who is the publisher?

And if the answers to those questions are the right ones it still comes down to condition.

Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 1488 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi
I was searching for a PHRASE BOOK it seems to me that I should look in perhaps a TRAVEL / GUIDES section. I think had I wanted LEARN a language (as opposed to a Phrase Book ) I would then look in Language Study. To find a Phrase Book I had to go via Non- Fiction! which is not what I would of thought the right approach as TRAVEL is in itself a Large Topic and merits a Section to cover all aspects. The bottom line is, looking for a Phrase Book for a holiday,( Travel Sectn.)and to study a language ( Language Studies ) should be in different catergories.
Message 1489 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi to all, am unsuccesful in locating info for this book The whip Hand a school story, by Walter C Rhoades Any one have a suggestion please
Message 1490 of 1,680
See Most Recent

published by blackie, illustrated by g w goss , no date but war economy standard plate. appreciate any help thank you
Message 1491 of 1,680
See Most Recent

oldbookshopnj
There are several copies listed for sale on Vialibri.
Message 1492 of 1,680
See Most Recent

thank you for your help
Message 1493 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi there..Have a book to sell and would appreciate any help re; price etc;
It is "The Bloodstock Breeders' Review" volume XX11, edited and published by `The British Bloodstock Agency, Ltd. The date on the spine is December 1933, and lists owners, runners and winners of most of the major racing calender for that year, prices paid, blood lines, names of the horses and the owners etc and the prize money won.
In remarkable condition for a book so old, and with no torn pages.
Any ideas please would be welcome.
Hugh.
itspants@gmail.com
Message 1494 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi there..Have a book to sell and would appreciate any help re; price etc;
It is "The Bloodstock Breeders' Review" volume XX11, edited and published by `The British Bloodstock Agency, Ltd. The date on the spine is December 1933, and lists owners, runners and winners of most of the major racing calender for that year, prices paid, blood lines, names of the horses and the owners etc and the prize money won.
In remarkable condition for a book so old, and with no torn pages.
Any ideas please would be welcome.
Hugh.
itspants@gmail.com
Message 1495 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Firstly, to book collectors, 1933 is practically new, and a copy in fine condition is not remarkable at all.

I've just looked on Addall, and there are numerous copies of this publication available, including a couple for 1933. The asking price is £30, but I suspect they are slow moving items, and will hang around for a long time looking for a buyer. I wouldn't let it go for less than £20, because, if there is someone out there who needs a copy, then they'll pay at least that for it, and a lower price won't attract more buyers.

Good luck!!!

Message 1496 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Thank you for your prompt reply....it is much appreciated.
Cheers.
Hugh.
Message 1497 of 1,680
See Most Recent

Hi!,from Oz,anyone have any ideas about this,can't seem to find anything over here,thanks in advance.

I have a poetry book titled The Dead Sanctuary by J B Trinick(signed with inscription,to Will.H.Taylor,London 1922)

Introducttory note by J.W.Mackail(sometime professor of poetry in the university of Oxford).

Which states that this is his first published work and it is also all but the first serious contribution made from the Dominions towards the central movement of English poetry.

The poem consists of 117 twelve line stanzas.

Any poets out there know anything about this book.
Value ?
Message 1498 of 1,680
See Most Recent

A copy was listed on and sold from Amazon. But I have no idea if it is possible to find out what it sold for or when it sold.

Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Σ Ψ Δ
σ ψ δ
Message 1499 of 1,680
See Most Recent

der2be
Hi Hefty H here.. I've got a book that I would like some help in pricing. "THE CHRISTIAN REFORMER or NEW EVANGELICAL MISCELLANY" vol 1 dated 1815.
Thanks
Message 1500 of 1,680
See Most Recent