refund requested due to stolen credit card

I sold an item and was asked if the item could be returned as it was bought with a stolen credit card. I said I would accept return and they  opened a case and i agreed to return, I have received the item back  in good condition but I dont really want to refund the whole amount, I did tell them I would not refund the postage  I paid but can see no way of altering the refund amount coming up to subtract the postage. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 11
See Most Recent
10 REPLIES 10

Private sellers can only refund the total of original amount paid.

Only business sellers can make adjustments.

Message 2 of 11
See Most Recent

@cheshirecat.2010 wrote:

I sold an item and was asked if the item could be returned as it was bought with a stolen credit card. 

That makes no sense at all. Did the buyer steal a credit card to fund their purchase? Or, did someone steal the buyer's credit card and decide to buy something which they then sent to the person they stole the card from? As neither scenario seems particularly likely it sounds more like your buyer found a way to convince you to accept a change of mind return; i.e. a return which you wouldn't normally accept.

@cheshirecat.2010 wrote:

I have received the item back  in good condition but I dont really want to refund the whole amount, I did tell them I would not refund the postage  I paid but can see no way of altering the refund amount coming up to subtract the postage.

You can't; as mentioned only business sellers can adjust the refund amount but even then they can't deduct the original postage cost.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 3 of 11
See Most Recent

If it really was paid for using a stolen credit card they should be able to apply for a chargeback so there's no obvious need for you to do any refund. Watch out because you could get hit twice on this.

Message 4 of 11
See Most Recent

This is an odd one, I agree. A refund is made to the payment source, so the refund will go back to the stolen credit card!

Personally I think a quick call to CS to see what their recommendations are in this scenario. As I see it sitting on the fence here, its a rouse for washing money or laundering as why would a buyer say the item had been bought on a stolen card, return the item and then expect a refund to someone elses card? 

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 5 of 11
See Most Recent

You are the victim of a thief who stole your item using a stolen credit card or a lyng fraudster who is seeking to make a return in an invalid manner. You don't need to do anything, certainly not refund the "buyer" who was not your buyer. The "buyer" needs to sort this out with the Police and their credit card company or bank. Once this is untangled, then, it might be appropriate to refund the person you have been in touch with. Keep the money for now. If it was a ruse to make a Return, it was an abuse of eBay rules and eBay should not back them. You deserve a reward for the TIME wasted  and ANXIETY caused which eBay should treat seriously `(but will it?).

Message 6 of 11
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

adding to the advice already given -

Nowhere do I see a mention of an eBay case being opened and if you don't refund through a case you have no protection.

Message 7 of 11
See Most Recent

I mean not a "reward" you deserve "compensation" for your time and anxiety,.

Message 8 of 11
See Most Recent

hi yes thery did open a case and therefore now I have recieved the item back I have to refund the whole amount , I am happy to refund the price of the item as it is ok but dont see why i should loose out by refunding the postage which I paid to send it. 

Message 9 of 11
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

Ordinarily no sellers can withhold the original postage from the refund amount. Both business sellers and private sellers have to refund original postage charge for any returns they accept or have to accept.

Business sellers can apply a deduction to refund e.g. if item returned damaged or missing parts, but eBay's terms for those deductions state it cannot be used in relation to postage costs.

Stolen card: in that scenario I would expect that the cardholder didn't receive the item, a third party who stole the card details would. In which case the eBay account holder wouldn't have the item to return it. So seems odd. Unless by "stolen" they mean more like "used without permission" so e.g. a teenager purchased on parent's account without permission, but I wouldn't call that "stolen". I suspect that the buyer has changed their mind so has invented an excuse to persuade you to accept the return.

Either way, as you've got the item back you need to refund (and you are done with the transaction so whatever problems remain aren't yours). You can try contacting eBay customer support but I'm pretty sure they will tell you that you accepted the return and have the item back, so have to refund in full and original postage is your loss.

Unfortunately when selling online there is always some risk of returns and therefore some risk of losing postage costs etc.

Message 10 of 11
See Most Recent

thanks everyone, do think maybe I've been had, but have now refunded in full as suggested, thanks again for all your knowledge. 

Message 11 of 11
See Most Recent