Wants to return an item that has been broken

Hiya,  I sold a craft maching that was in perfect working order - I'd used it mayself and it was working fine and they have now asked to return the item as they said the buttons was pushed in and it was not working! The buttons were fine when posted and in the original image they were shown to be fine.  She wants me to send another but I am not a business just someone that wants a clear out of items I am no longer using.  I have a feeling that this was a purchase regrete by them, and maybe they did this to the maching as an excuse for a refund.  Where do I stand with this?

Message 1 of 13
See Most Recent
12 REPLIES 12

Has the buyer opened a case for Item Not As Described?

If so your best course of action would be to accept the return.

Message 2 of 13
See Most Recent

They have opened a 'Doesn't work or is defective' case. If I accept the return and they return the machine I can't sell this again as it is now broken and I'm down over £200.00. I fell like I'm beween a rock and a hard place. 

Message 3 of 13
See Most Recent

You will not know the condition of the item until it is returned.

If you ignore the case you will be in a word of pain. eBay will refund the buyer without a return.

Accept the return.

Message 4 of 13
See Most Recent

They have sent me images of the broken buttons on the machine (that were fine when posted!) so I know I will not be able to sell this again due to the damaged caused. I have accepted the rerturn now and will open a seller protection request when I receive it.  

Message 5 of 13
See Most Recent

Are you sure the photos were of your machine?  This could be a swap situation.

Message 6 of 13
See Most Recent

@the.vs wrote:

I have accepted the rerturn now and will open a seller protection request when I receive it.  

Did you record the serial number of the machine you sold? I can't see any pictures of the bottom of the machine in your listing.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 7 of 13
See Most Recent

@the.vs wrote:

They have sent me images of the broken buttons on the machine (that were fine when posted!) so I know I will not be able to sell this again due to the damaged caused. I have accepted the rerturn now and will open a seller protection request when I receive it.  

It may have been damaged in transit

Which IS your responsibility

If the item returned IS your item then claim for compensation for damage from the courier, but be prepared to show them the packaging you sent it in. If RM say the packaging was insufficient you won't get compensation.

If the item isn't your item that you sent, then contact eBay who will refund the buyer themselves. Probably.

Message 8 of 13
See Most Recent

The item was very well packaged and there would have been more damage if it was done in transit, I will be checking the machmine and making sure all the added extras are returned too. I suppose I just have to put this down to a lesson learnt, to be honest once I have sold everything I need for a clearout I prob won't sell on ebay again.

Message 9 of 13
See Most Recent

Just had a message from ebay with the following:  We were notified that the buyer filed a chargeback with their card company, bank or other payment institution. You don't have to do anything.  Does this mean I won't get the items back and lost the money too?

Message 10 of 13
See Most Recent

That's bad news.  You are highly unlikely to get your item back now and sellers don't win item not as described chargebacks. 

There is also a potential chargeback fee levied on you. 

Message 11 of 13
See Most Recent

I'v just spoken to an ebay advisor who found it very strange in that, I had accepted a return and refund and then they decided to close this and do a chargeback.  I have a feeling that they did not want to send the machine and extras back - I would have refunded once I had these back.  What I am not going to do is, not have any of the items back and lose the money too... it that unreasonable of me?   I have to fill a form in from the finance institute and then they will decide what to do from there.

Message 12 of 13
See Most Recent

Sadly they will refund the buyer and charge you an extra £14 for the priviledge of refunding the buyer

The buyer won't be required to return the machine

Message 13 of 13
See Most Recent