Soecial delivery

Hi i sent a item special delivery as the buyer said they would be In not apparently there saying they was away for 2 weeks and it's now being sent back to sender which is me due to the christmas rush I forgot to put my return address as the buyer said they was gonna be home . How do I trace my parcel who do I call it says it's at a facility ATM on the 27th but he didn't contact till yesterday so everything is closed for new year. He is being OK ATM and not opening a case but the tracking clearly shows he's not been in 2 times for delivery so how does this work he's even admitted its his fault knowing ebay they'll refund won't they ? 

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Soecial delivery

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

It shouldn't be possible to send an item via Royal Mail Special Delivery from your local Post Office without first putting your return address on it, they usually check this.

If there's no return address on any Royal Mail package it gets sent to Belfast (to be sold off I guess), it's not possible to match it to the sender.

Are you 100% sure that there's no return address on it? If so, you will end up refunding your buyer and losing your item. In theory, attempted delivery should prevent the buyer from opening an eBay item not received claim, but they can still issue a chargeback via their card provider and get their money back.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Soecial delivery

Yes no return address my post office. Never check normally no issues . I'm
gonna go there tomorrow but the buyer shouldn't have not been in over 2
weeks when he asked it to be sent special delivery. His 30 days from
estimated date is up soon so probably won't be able to open a case anyway .
In my eyes it his fault
Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Soecial delivery

Problem is, whilst he may be past eBay's 30 Day Money Back Guarantee and unable to chase a refund via eBay, he can still issue a chargeback via his card provider (they will require proof of delivery) which will result in you having to make the refund and pay a £14 fee as well.

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Soecial delivery

Unclaimed post is usually sent to the Returns Centre in Belfast, in the past I know for certain special delivery items (without a return address) were held in storage for 3 months in case the sender claimed the item. This  may have changed in recent years but they probably still hold on to items for a certain period, I would contact customer services at Royal Mail, they can probably check for you.

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Soecial delivery

My bank doesn't allow a charge back the always speak to me first had this
issue last year and they sided with me
Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Soecial delivery

@polkadot9292 wrote:
My bank doesn't allow a charge back the always speak to me first had this
issue last year and they sided with me

If a chargeback is issued then eBay have to refund the buyer and then chase you for the money, it's not an option. 

If I issue a chargeback via my debit card or any of my credit cards I'm guaranteed a refund.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Soecial delivery

If it goes to Belfast because it has no external return address, the process should be that the package is opened to see if there's any information inside that will reunite it with its sender.  Did you enclose a packing slip that gives the sender's address?

An attempted delivery is a delivery in eBay's eyes, so the MBG shouldn't kick in.  However, there's nothing to stop the buyer raising a chargeback.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Soecial delivery

Didn't put anything inside this time unfortunately the buyer said he was in
the next day but then decided to stay away over 2 weeks
Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent