Sealed game sold,buyer claims there was no game inside

Hello,

I've recently sold a game for xbox one,it has be sealed with a barcode on the opening side. The buyer got the game and send me the photo that inside are blank cos? Is it possible? Is it scam? What to do? Thank you

Message 1 of 18
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@smartdealzuk wrote:

I understand the ebay money back guarantee but their terms says as well that:

An item is returned after it was used or damaged by the buyer

If you accepted a buyer's return request but the item is returned in a different condition than it was originally sent:

• You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
  • We'll automatically remove any related negative or neutral Feedback

That is for Top Rated Sellers only 

You are not a Top Rated Seller so you have to refund in full (or eBay will do it for you from your funds)

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent
17 REPLIES 17

If it was factory sealed with the Microsoft seal then it is very unlikely to have been empty. You would know though because a case may only weigh around 50 grams, with a disc and any leaflets / booklets inside it will weigh in the region of 100 grams. 

Message 2 of 18
See Most Recent

If the buyer opens a case (ha!) you will have to refund in full AND provide a return label at your cost to get the empty box back.

eBay will not allow you to argue the game was in the box. Buyers are always believed. 

Message 3 of 18
See Most Recent

That is crazy, what a huge risk for anyone selling items like this. Games can be valuable even without the box... sending back an empty case is no huge hardship to any scammer.

Message 4 of 18
See Most Recent

If it is the Cyberpunk game, the listing has the ambiguity someone would look for. The outer wrapping has opened slightly and it is confusing that the leaflets are pictured outside of the game case, eBay will definitely side with the buyer on this. 

Message 5 of 18
See Most Recent

This are not leaflets that was the packaging with stickers and a map which has been outside the box with the game,the game itself has a Microsoft barcode sticker. As it has been in paper packaging with some additional stuff plus the game inside. The buyer said there was a disc inside even 2 but they has been blank

Message 6 of 18
See Most Recent

As the game posted has been wrapped and with the barcode on as on photos posted in the add,when I get the game back opened I have to return not full amount as it has been opened already?

Message 7 of 18
See Most Recent

Unfortunately you have to refund the buyer in full including P&P

And you have to pay the return postage cost of the item 

Or  you can save yourself that cost and just refund

Message 8 of 18
See Most Recent

eBay buyers have a Money Back Guarantee which means their refund is guaranteed.

This link gives you information on eBays Money Back Guarantee (for buyers) 

https://pages.ebay.co.uk/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

Message 9 of 18
See Most Recent

If you accepted a buyer's return request but the item is returned in a different condition than it was originally sent:

• You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
Message 10 of 18
See Most Recent

Isn't that for Top Rated Sellers only? I haven't read the terms or ever used it but I thought it wasn't for sellers on private accounts. 

How is your buyer communicating? Do they come across dodgy? Do they seem to have problems with other sellers based on their feedback received or left for others?

Message 11 of 18
See Most Recent

No,the account seems very legitimate,almost 1k reviews all good,the only reason that I think it may be a scam is that the game has been brand new and Sealed and its basically impossible that the discs are empty and have nothing on it,there is not even some kind of graphic with cyberpunk on them as the buyer send the photos

Message 12 of 18
See Most Recent

@smartdealzuk wrote:

No,the account seems very legitimate,almost 1k reviews all good

Buyers can only receive positive feedback. Have you checked the feedback they have left for others?

@smartdealzuk wrote:

there is not even some kind of graphic with cyberpunk on them as the buyer send the photos

If the box was sealed you wouldn't have known what was printed on the disks inside.

Ultimately, you need to send the buyer a pre-paid return label and wait until you receive what they send back if you want to dispute the buyer's claim. It might be worth contacting eBay's customer services (NOT by using the "ask us to step in" link in the case). If the buyer is already on eBay's radar they might close the case for you. However, if the case remains open you must issue a return label to the buyer by the end of the third day after the case was opened if you want to dispute their claim.

@smartdealzuk wrote:

As mentioned, those protections are only available to business sellers.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 13 of 18
See Most Recent

This is very strange, with the seal still on it's not like somebody could have switched the discs. I am thinking hypothetically, say you got it from a Supermarket discounted isle, it may have been a customer return and they fooled the Supermarket who re-sold it but how they would manage to do a switch like that. I am assuming you have got it at a good price to re-sell when I say that. It could be a manufacturing error too I suppose...

I think if this happened to me I would ask them to initiate a return to see what comes back, purely out of interest and to call their bluff. Sometimes buyers may try it on to have you refund without a return but won't ever follow through with a return if you stick to the proper process.

Message 14 of 18
See Most Recent

@smartdealzuk wrote:

That is for Top Rated Sellers only 

You are not a Top Rated Seller so you have to refund in full (or eBay will do it for you from your funds)

Message 15 of 18
See Most Recent

I understand I'm waiting for the item now and will inspect what happened there. I know ots no chance for ebay to ever look on both sides and actually look into the case in some situations but it would be great if there could be a team looking deeply into this kind of situations. Thank you everyone

Message 16 of 18
See Most Recent

As I answered buyer said he's not gonna leave negative feedback as this situation could have happened to anyone.  At least no negative feedback on that

Message 17 of 18
See Most Recent

I will attach a buyer photos of the discs he got just so everyone knows what exactly I meant 

Message 18 of 18
See Most Recent