Running Behind? Can anyone help me?

Hi all,

Recently sold a watch to someone, posted the item and it's now saying "Running Behind". Royal Mail tracking is showing nothing as a delivery has not been attempted yet. The customer is getting pretty irate about it and has raised a case about it!

It was won at auction on the 19th and I posted it on the 21st, within time. So the estimate is totally wrong too!

I'm very new to this, have I done something wrong? I am so confused 😞

Screenshot_2024-02-25_17-18-55.png

Message 1 of 44
See Most Recent
43 REPLIES 43

eBay's estimated dates for delivery are a tad ,  actually more than a tad,   optimistic.

This aside,  eBay only work on actual delivery times,  proven by tracking numbers showing delivery.

If your buyer opens a case for item not received there are 3 days to reply and accept this,  to refund your buyer.

Keep a close eye on that time,  if your tracking still doesn't prove delivery,  or even attempted delivery ,  you do need to fully refund your buyer,  through those case details.  

Vital for a new account,   especially as this then will not affect your seller perfomance.

You then try and claim compensation foor yourself from Roya Mail or the courier used for a lost item.

Message 2 of 44
See Most Recent

eBay's estimate is rubbish. Many people complain about this all the time and yet eBay staff say it's all working as normal. 

Copy and paste the tracking number to the tracking part of RM website for more accurate updates. If it's not a trackable service then it's a bit silly of you for not using a fully tracked (and insured) service for a watch that sold for almost £450. 

Actually, after seeing it's a £450 watch, it should have been sent RM special delivery guaranteed next day before 1pm. Even though eBays estimated delivery times are off, I'd have expected very quick premium delivery for something of this value as a buyer. 

Message 3 of 44
See Most Recent

Thanks. I have not actually been paid out by eBay, so I haven't got any money at all from the buyer.

It's annoying that Royal Mail have not even attempted delivery, it's 2nd Class Tracked!

I guess it's somewhere in a distribution centre somewhere...

Makes me look really bad though, I was trying to do a good job.

Message 4 of 44
See Most Recent

"If your buyer opens a case for item not received there are 3 days to reply and accept this, to refund your buyer."

On this, I should say I phoned Customer Services and he said we should wait until 01/03/2024 to see if the item arrives. If it does, then thats fine, if not then we will go from there.

Since then though, the buyer has been told by customer services to wait until then. He has then messaged me and told me he does not want to wait and he wants his money back.

What if eBay give his money back and he gets the item later in the post!?

Message 5 of 44
See Most Recent

Thanks for that - I did not think, but the buyer asked for 2nd class, so I got a 2nd class tracked.

The RM website says the below:

Screenshot_2024-02-25_17-36-54.png

Message 6 of 44
See Most Recent

Having the same issue. RM is so slow.  This week 4 buyers have opened requests to say their items have not been recevied.  eBay really need to extend the delivery times - it's ridiculous. 

Unfortunately the seller will always loose out.

Message 7 of 44
See Most Recent

Yikes that isn't tracked. You are relying on the postie scanning it which isn't guaranteed and you only have £20 insurance.

Message 8 of 44
See Most Recent

How much did you pay for postage? It was sent as a small parcel?

Message 9 of 44
See Most Recent

Isn't it? I thought that is what you got a tracking number for?

Message 10 of 44
See Most Recent

No it was sent as a large letter. £2.xx something.

Message 11 of 44
See Most Recent

My concern is that he could get the item and his money back!

Message 12 of 44
See Most Recent

That's not a trackable number as it states.

What was the value of the item as that service "may" show as delivered (put through letter box) but buyer can still claim non receipt if they know the ropes.

Message 13 of 44
See Most Recent

It's NOT tracked.

Message 14 of 44
See Most Recent

Oh the value was around £600.

So are you saying that something could get delivered and the buyer could just say it never was and get their money back too?

Message 15 of 44
See Most Recent

Ah mate no. It is large letter if 2.5cm thick or less. That watch must be over 2.5m so it had to be a small parcel. 

You've underpaid postage so the recipient will get a charge from Royal Mail before they get their item. This really slows the process of delivery down. I fear this may not happen in time for you to win this eBay case. 

Message 16 of 44
See Most Recent

Oh, I asked the guys at the post office what would be best to send it in and they said a large padded envolope. I thought a small parcel would be overkill for it. Would they get a notification from RM or something about paying it?

I'm really confused. Looks like it's a combination of me messing it up, eBay and their estimation dates and RM.

Message 17 of 44
See Most Recent

Interestingly, the listing has now updated from it's origional delivery estimation above to this:

Screenshot_2024-02-25_17-59-58.png

Message 18 of 44
See Most Recent

Quite probably, Ebay is the buyers friend not the seller.

Unfortunately the most you will be reimbursed will be £20 its insured for plus cost of postage.

Harsh but lesson learned hopefully.

Message 19 of 44
See Most Recent

If you laid it flat maybe but it's really borderline. It will naturally bend into the rounded shape and a padded envelope isn't enough protection for it anyway.

When did the buyer open an eBay case against you? How long do you have to respond?

Message 20 of 44
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: