Unpaid item query. Help please.

I sold an item to a buyer with large 100% feedback (of over 1,000 transactions). Co-incidentally he was a regular buyer of mine a good few years back and always paid without fuss. Anyway, the gentleman won an item that I was selling that ended on the 3rd March and I have not heard a peep. Ebay state that I can claim as an unpaid item as of today the 8th March (5 days after sale).

Now I have been fortunate to not have to report a non paying buyer in years. When I clicked on unpaid item case, I stated reason as a non payer then it led me to a page where I simply cancel. I was expecting that the buyer would get an extra 3-4 day period to make payment as back in the day. Has the system changed to a 'cancel order' system after 5 days? I did not press cancel as this system is alien to me and wanted to check here first.

I am thinking of messaging the buyer with a friendly reminder message asking if everything is ok  (as this non paying buyer is out of character for him) and if no response then I will continue with an unpaid item case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated on any points.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
See Most Recent
2 REPLIES 2

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

When you cancel an order and select 'buyer didn't pay' it immediately cancels the order and gives you a credit for your eBay final value fees.

You could message the buyer, or simply hold off for a few more days if you wish. eBay do send out payment reminders automatically though.

Just a heads up that if you send a payment reminder it restarts the whole process and you have to wait another 4 days before you can cancel the order.

Message 2 of 3
See Most Recent

Yes, it's changed so now you can cancel on the 5th day due to non-payment without having to wait longer.   You can certainly contact the buyer first if you prefer.

Message 3 of 3
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: