Rejected from machine at outward MC

Hi, I purchased Tracked 48 postage via eBay on Thursday, April 11th, and dropped off the parcel at the nearby Royal Mail Delivery Office. Upon checking the status on eBay a few days later, I discovered the message "Rejected from machine at outward MC." Currently, I'm facing pressure from the buyer as he hasnt recived the pacel, while Royal Mail hasn't been helpful, suggesting I file a claim for a lost item. I'm advising the buyer to remain patient as the parcel might still arrive. Should I continue waiting, or would it be prudent to refund the buyer and proceed with a claim through Royal Mail, especially considering it's been two weeks since the incident?

TIA

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

As it's been two weeks since the incident, my advice is to refund the buyer or send a replacement.  Your buyer has been very patient so far, but I think they'll soon reach the limit of their patience.

Raise a claim with RM.  It may turn up - I had a T48 take six weeks to arrive - but it's probably lost or chewed up by a machine.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

I occasionally see the message "Rejected from machine at outward MC" on Tracked items I've sent but all those items were still delivered normally, so that may just be a coincidence.

If the tracking hasn't updated then Royal Mail customer services won't have any information for you. Unless it's a Special Delivery item I don't think RM will do any specific investigation, so all you do is open a claim.

Open the Royal Mail claim as soon as you can - the item could still magically turn up weeks later, and you don't want to be in the position that you've refunded the buyer, item turns up so buyer receives item for free, then Royal Mail reject your loss claim because item has been delivered. So if you think item may have been lost in the post (or damaged beyond repair/label ripped off etc.) then submit the claim as soon as possible.

Be prepared for Royal Mail to initially reject your loss claim, because they are very fussy about claims and required evidence. RM will firstly just wait a couple of weeks to see if item is delivered. You need to provide image of proof of postage (get PDF proof of postage from Royal Mail app if you don't have paper receipt), proof of loss (e.g. screenshot of order refund page) and if a business seller proof of value (i.e. item cost to you, as RM only refund cost to you not full sale price if you are a business).

You will also need to agree a refund or replacement with the buyer, whichever you jointly prefer. (Bear in mind the proof of loss requirement for Royal Mail claim though).

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

Just to add to what others have said, I have had 3 of these over the past month or so, although I have never had a problem before.  The issue with mine have been that I have purchased a large letter label (all 3 have most definitely been large letter sized - short sleeved T-shirts and the like) and I have had the same message that you have had.  The problem seems to be that what is packed as a large letter can sometimes squish down the  packaging making it thicker than a LL and they see it as not enough postage paid and it gets rejected. 

One item was delivered to the buyer with a surcharge card, which I paid.  The second was returned to me - strangely, so I had to purchase another small parcel label although it was most definitely a LL size and the third one is currently in limbo and I am waiting to see if it gets delivered or not.

It does seem like Royal Mail are cracking down on sizing issues where I don't think they were so stringent before.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent