Need - Help regarding a buyer

Hi Everyone, I hope you can help me.

I sold an item to a buyer 3 Weeks ago, I posted it at my post office which cost me £5 more to send at almost £10, lately I haven't had much time in order to get the true postage so I thought id get on with it.

So the said item, arrived to the persons address 3 Days as I had been tracking it and not his one it was his girlfriends place which seamed very fishy to me and attempted delivery.

Kept an eye on this and Royal Mail Attempted delivery over the coming days and buy the Wednesday the parcel was at its depot, I contacted Royal Mail about this, and they said I could have the parcel back or wait another day, the latter I did so I rescheduled the buyer to get off his butt to go to the depot and at last he picked it up.

But with this all going on, I contacted the buyer via messenger about where the parcel was and about the extra £5 was to help cover costs, I had nil reply, the only other option was to contact the number of the seller I had sent it too, I called up and the phone answered and and someone sounded like it was breathing on the phone and hung up.

Then I was traded with a vast amount of abuse from the "Buyer" About stop hastling my wife bla bla bla!!

Then I was handed down this feedback:

Nightmare seller, asked me to pay double postage after the item was shipped. Contacted me through eBay messages and my personal number even phoning me to send money to his PayPal. Threatened to get the package diverted etc. CPU arrived with one bent pin but did work after straightening. I would avoid.

And after exchanging reply I had this:

“What can I say, read the reply above to get a picture of this completely 'rational' and 'normal person'. Decide whether you are willing to be hassled by this man. He harassed my wife for extra money which is against ebays terms and conditions. He threatened and name called in an attempt for me to remove this negative feedback. He constantly gaslights to portray himself as the victim. I don't know what he is talking about in regards to a second address. I hope he seeks the help he needs”

Can anyone help me on what to do with this person?  Can I report him?  Or what can I do?

I hope you can help me.

Many thanks

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

I don't really condone the buyers reaction but if you got the postage wrong it's a case of "suck it up and learn".

I doubt if Ebay will remove the feedback and it seem's pretty pointles sending a feedbckback revision request.

Report for what ?.

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

From your own admission, you telephoned, used ebay messages and messenger to ask for extra postage !

I wonder just how many times you sent messages and phone calls to the buyer !

What's worrying is that you think this is acceptable -  it is  not  !  You are harassing the customer !

You sold an item at a price  including the postage  and then because you got it wrong felt that the customer should pay for your mistake !

I would give up selling it ain't for you !

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

Eh.....sorry but if you called the guy, messaged him and asked for extra postage costs....that's pretty bad. Buyers are a nightmare and a pain but acting like a debt collector is really creepy.

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

You charged £5.50 postage for a CPU that sold for £80. That is fine, you could have purchased a Tracked 48 Small Parcel label for £3.39 via eBay or Royal Mail (fully tracked and £150 insurance).

Sounds like you took it to the post office and as they don't yet sell Tracked, you were correctly advised to use Special Delivery, as the standard services don't provide £80 of insurance. SD is the right service if you buy at the Post Office, but it's an expensive service (£9.95 for 1kg) when Tracked is suitable.

None of that is the buyer's fault. It is up to the seller to understand postal services and prices before listing, and set postage fee as required. Your listing stated "Standard Delivery (Royal Mail 1st Class)", which is not the right service for an £80 item, so sounds to me like you didn't properly research the postage before listing.

It is specifically against eBay terms and conditions to increase postage costs after purchase, or ask the buyer for additional payment in relation to postage. £5.50 was plenty for Tracked 48.

If I had a seller calling and messaging me asking for additional postage then I would certainly consider it unreasonable. I might well consider it harrassment. I might report the seller to eBay. The buyer's negative feedback seems entirely justified.

You were in the wrong, I would leave this item and the buyer well alone to avoid making it any worse.

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

@welshbloke_1981 wrote:

Can anyone help me on what to do with this person?  Can I report him?  Or what can I do?

Leave the buyer alone now, you can't report them for anything (you're in the wrong here as regards postage and chasing them for it).

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

peturning
Conversationalist

You didn't buy the suitable postage which would have been £3.39 if you just used the links provided by eBay when the item sold, they make it very simple and the correct service for that item would have been a Tracked 48 small parcel 1kg or less at £3.39. Print it out, slap it on the parcel. Royal Mail will even come to collect it from your doorstep!

At £10 it sounds like you bought Special Delivery next day at the post office? probably overkill but the Post Office don't sell Tracked 24/48 service yet unfortunately.

Sure, not collecting the parcel is annoying but it happens. The buyer is certainly not in any way responsible for your error in postage.

No, there is nothing you can do. Maybe the claims of harassment are a little strong etc but as a seller you sometimes have to just sit back and let things take their course. You made an error, they made a small error (not picking up the parcel) but that's how it goes.

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

You've had a fair old kicking on this board but you have received valuable advice. Ebay is a far from easy platform for new sellers, even old timers like me, but I think if you do some research (look at the way other experienced sellers list their items) you learn a few tricks!

Photobucket

"Take deep breaths, it'll soon be gone"

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent